My try of Afrezza

Hi Allen,
Thanks for sharing your experience with Afrezza. I’m curious are you using the new titration pack they released recently? It supposedly has 90 4U’s and 90 8U’s. Thanks.

Ah cool, I just assumed they would balk at it.

Hi there,

I only had 4’s my Dr gave me but the Afrezza rep guy emailed me and said they could give me the titration pack so waiting on that. The Mannkind team seem to be really nice. What a great revolutionary product they put out. It will only drive the competition to break more boundaries so all the better.

1 Like

Good to hear that.

I use Pump (OmniPod) + Afrezza. I’ve also tried Tresiba + Afrezza. It’s nice to have options and figure out what’s best for each of us.

so what do you use the afrezza for? only bolusing and corrections and the pump only for basal?

correct. I need the pump for the basal flexibility as I need a little more insulin from the 12-4pm time frame.

Just curious… But is your pattern predictable enough there that just an extra unit or two of novolog (or whatever) at that time around noon or 1 might cover it?

good question and haven’t really tried or thought about it. I also like the ability to dial down my basal during runs etc.

Gotcha… Like we discussed before, for me the dialing down ability seems less advantageous with tresiba to me than it did with lantus…

Lol you could always just run between 12-4

2 Likes

:joy: good point.

Well I just heard I have a titration pack waiting at my new Dr’s office so I’ll be giving Afrezza another try soon!

2 Likes

Did your insurance cover it? If so :+1:

It’s a free pack from Mannkind so no insurance needed.

1 Like

It’s not a free pack as far as I know . May be you got it for free as it’s RX only.

Care to explain in detail how you got that freebie?

sample from his Doctor?

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

Would seem it is not the ADA standard of care as I learned from the DiabetesAccessMatters political action committee website (and retweeted: Restricting diabetes access is against ADA Standards of Care. http://bit.ly/29eUmFzDiabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition - Home )

Well when the ADA becomes the one cutting the checks for patients’ medication the world may take their standards of care a little more seriously.

As long as patients accept the model that it’s someone else’s job to pay for their medications 2 things will continue

1. the prices will continue to rise
  2. the access will continue to be restricted
2 Likes

To be sure, resource management has to factor in somewhere…but Afrezza advocates are not even at the table. you and I are fortunate to have means of circumventing coverage or lack thereof. If Afrezza saves lives, as I think could eventually be proven if it can simultaneously improve adherence and reduce hypos, there will be no denying it. One slip with injected insulin and you are dead. Mistakes with Afrezza (early user expereince) are more forgiving. Seems a no-brainer to me.

There is a group in Berkeley Ca, former and present day Biotech staffers, building a GMO insulin “home brew” facility. The next step after that is bootleg TS insulin. Its complex, but I know its not rocket science. Some folks are pretty scientific about their home brew - me among them!