My try of Afrezza

Yep timing is everything for meal boluses. I was talking more about corrections. I’m just learning how much I need to take when. I’m getting 12’s on next script for when I’m really high.

Yeah i’ve read the afrezza down under’s blog but I’ve actually learned more from @Sam19. I actually almost gave up afrezza since i thought if i couldnt match being able to drink a reg coke and not spike at all that it wasnt working for me. So honeslty i know he means well but im worried people might give up if they dont get perfect bg’s after using afrezza and eating whatever they want like it seems the down under guy can do. i have a feeling that guy had A1C’s in the 5’s even before afrezza or has some active insulin still in his system. I can get away with a LOT but i cant just eat anything under the sun.

2 Likes

Bear in mind that a simple FEV1 will NOT diagnose either obstructive or restrictive lung effects. A FVC (forced vital capacity) is absolutely essential since a ratio MUST be calculated. It’s particularly important in type 1 diabetics since all exhibit some degree of restrictive lung disease proportional to the time they’ve been diabetic as well as to how well they’ve managed their glucose. The afrezza trials did NOT examine the effect of the drug on restrictive lung disease. The FDA mandated a long term safety trial two years ago but it is still in the planning stage.

Did you just join this forum to enlighten us about the perils of Afrezza? Would you care to introduce yourself to us and explain your interest and experiences on these matters so we can get to know each other a bit?

3 Likes

Sorry but I don’t take kindly to being interrogated. I offered information that is both accurate and reliable. I can provide links to sources if you wish to confirm my comment.

Please understand we’ve just had a real history of trolls on the Afrezza discussions on this forum… so I’ll be the first to welcome you warmly if you’re not one

1 Like

Regardless whether I’m a “troll” or not, the information is reliable and I can provide links to sources that will confirm.

Do you or an immediate family member have diabetes that you manage? Do you use insulin to do so? This is a diabetes forum and a thread regarding insulin use-- those are very appropriate and reasonable questions. I regret that discussions regarding Afrezza cause me to be on high alert as to the motivations of others as that’s usually not in my nature.

1 Like

Me too, me too. #Addict! Nothing has been this simple or effective in combating the severe gastroparesis that has been my arch enemy for years!!
Any thoughts I’ve ever had over lung issues are mitigated for the restored health I feel! And who knows… it could be the orange dye on needle caps or titanium filaments from a cgm that ends up doing me in! Lol!
White powder clogs… sometimes I see a little extra come out after I inhale. If I feel it’s getting clogged I usually swap it out. I also tap both the cartridge itself and the dreamboat as @Michael_Hoskins mentioned below.
Sorry so many asides in this comment!!
Wanted to share back to back turkey day wins… 2015/2016

5 Likes

Great to see you here @Michael_Hoskins! You have so much great stuff to share! :blush:

1 Like

Hey everyone! Just a reminder of why we are all here…
There are so many options, experiences and rationales that go into diabetes care. Let’s be sure of fair play always and keep our eyes on the goal… better health for everyone living with diabetes.
Let’s get this discussion back on track!
None of us want to leave here feeling frustrated. Like this cat.

1 Like

Gotta love the trolls… they’re not diabetic, no one in their family is diabetic, yet they join a diabetic group. They are here to educate us out of the goodness of their hearts. :unamused:

1 Like

Great job on Thanksgiving day! I had a great day too, the only way I can stay in range while traveling is to use Afrezza. There’s just no time for me to bolus 45min to an hour in advance before I eat. Especially in the morning, I got up and immediately made my girl espresso as Sam19 calls it and sat on the patio listening and watching the ocean waves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for joining in the conversation @Michael_Hoskins.

Here’s a typical day for me, I actually started trying harder yesterday and not just letting my sugar go high and not stop to correct it. My A1C crept up from 5.9 to 6.0 so I decided I should try harder and not be lazy cause I’m jealous of those with mid 5 A1C’s. I am determining my A1C from clarity only as I haven’t had follow up labs yet but will soon.

The two spikes are because I only took a 4U and it wasn’t enough to correct the rise. 8’s will actually make me go low as can be seen from the resultant dip afterward.

Do you guys even bother getting any 4’s in your script anymore? I’m determining my next prescription from the titration pack and think i will only get a few 4’s and add some 12’s but mostly have 8’s.

3 Likes

@Allen3 - That’s a very good day, by the way.Your overnight line is tremendous. I use Afrezza 4’s mostly for corrections. They serve me well. If I need more than a 4-unit Afrezza correction I will often add a 2 or 4 unit IM or intramuscular dose. I think that combination works well as the Afrezza gets to work right away and the IM has a nice follow-through. Every once in a while I use two 4-unit Afrezzas for a special treat.

Don’t get overly focused on the A1c number. It’s not nearly as precise as we think it is with its decimal point apparent precision. The A1c has been a good statistic to make conclusions about a population of diabetics. It’s not so precise about drawing a valid picture of a single individual.

Check out this diaTribe article entitled Going Beyond A1c - One Outcome Can’t Do It All.

In the article they reproduce a table that shows that the A1c is not just equivalent to one specific average blood glucose, instead it’s equivalent to a wider range than you think. A 6.0% A1c is actually equivalent to 100-152 mg/dL. Here’s that table:

This article caught my eye because my CGM Clarity data with the equivalent A1c is often in the sub-5.5% A1c with the lab coming in around 6.0%. I have four goals to measure my glucose control and the A1c is not one of them.

2 Likes

Thanks @Terry4. I’m very competitive so maybe that’s it. :slight_smile:

I’m still happy to be doing this well with so little effort. And I feel much better. I will check out that article.

And my overnight in this graph is actually a little high in the beginning. With Tresiba mine is totally flat at 100 unless I mess up and take novolog late at night or eat junk. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing!

Is anyone concerned that the company that manufactures and sells Afrezza, Mannkind may go out of business, or be driven out of business? It was written somewhere (I forget where) that the company has debt. If Afrezza use is still being discouraged (my doctor still insists that there are concerns, and he won’t prescribe it for me) by some doctors, it would mean that sales of Afreeza could plateau and not increase.

Sure there are concerns… it’s a small company trying to bring a game changing product to market in a hostile business environment… it is an uphill battle.

But what can you do… the more people who see how well it works, the more will want it and realize how beneficial it is. Since when do we take great consideration about the financial strength of a corporation when determining if it’s product will benefit us? When GM was so broke it went bankrupt and was completely owned by the government were we all taking our chevys to the dump?

1 Like

It is a travesty and tragedy that Afreeza seems to work so well for so many and could benefit even more people. Yet it is being discouraged. Sigh…

I hope that the company does not go out of business if sales don’t increase. I think that there are many people who would try if they knew about the product, and could get their doctors to prescribe it.