My useless thought or lack diabetic education in schools

My childhood days was so beautiful and energetic. Born in a village.Very naughty boy till the time when I am diagnosed. Diagnosed as a T1D at the time, in upper primary school.

At that time had a bad behaviour of smoking. Just for play and or acting like film actor. After three weak diagnosed.
That was a big shock to my family. Admitted hospital three or four weak, may be BG 600 above , i don’t know actually it was, because that was a new disease. No one have any idea about its treatment, management of BG levels,A1C etc.
After one month my parents consulted a homeopathy doctor. I was under his treatment for four years.That guy reduced my insulin form 10 units to 5 unit and that only morning. Night dose stopped.
So my school days was so painful and isolated. And I also kept a foolish thought in my mind smoking caused my diabetes.Parents have no knowledge about diabetes and they said because of side effect of any medicine caused our diabetes.
I was small in size comparing with my class mates.Life was so depressed and isolated. Felt the feeling of helplessness due to get the understandings from parents,teachers and friends end.
After that the death of that homeopathy doctor, I escaped from the dark years. Consulted a physician and got good dosage insulin and I improved my health. And gradually equal to my class mates.

But during these bad incidents I got a feeling of depression.Took medication for depression and now it is continuing…
Now I am doing my job, taking insulin and regularly checking with strips.

I am giving some points for discussion if anybody interested:

• Why our teacher have not the perfect knowledge of diabetes and the mood swings of kids those who have diabetes especially in developing countries?
  • Why our health department and education department giving guidelines to school authorities and parents for handling these special children?
  • Why these huge number of uncertified doctors operating?
4 Likes

That’s a very heart-rending story Rinku and your questions are obviously critical, but difficult for anyone to answer who isn’t living in that culture. Even here in the US there’s a pretty wide range of medical expertise about diabetes, and it’s not infrequent to hear from people on TUD who live in areas where doctors with any real knowledge are hard to find and the forms of treatment available seem far out of date. But I think any form of insulin therapy, however rudimentary, is going to work out better than homeopathy–it’s lucky you managed to survive!

One thing you can pretty much rely on here is that, thanks to entertainment and news media, there’s a pretty widespread knowledge of the disease even if a lot of what people think they know is completely screwy thanks to the exaggerations and complete misconceptions fostered by said media. But at least people get that you have to inject insulin, and that you can sometimes experience problems up to and including loss of consciousness, even if they don’t know exactly why. It sounds like your family was working from even less awareness than that, which must have been very tough to grow up with. The only place I’ve experienced something similar was in a small village in southwest China, near Myanmar, where I went for my brother’s wedding. It was amazing to me that diabetes really wasn’t a thing to them, and it made the whole business of having to inject, test fingersticks and so on pretty strange. they just didn’t have the infrastructure to provide the endless supply of things diabetics need to stay alive, so people who did get it tended to just die off more or less undiagnosed, much the same as it was here before insulin. You’d think a country as advanced as China could do better. But of course this was also one of the ethnic minority areas (the Jingpo Semi-Autonomous Prefecture) and they enjoy even more neglect from the central government than a lot of rural areas with friendlier relations with Beijing.

3 Likes