Need Advice! My Schwinn Elliptical is Trying to Kill Me. Or, at least my A1C!

I’m at my wits end and in throes of a very gross low that I just treated so I thought I’d throw this out to the group and see if anyone had any insight or advice. In the beginning of June, I replaced my elliptical. The new one is giving me a much more intense work out, which while I hate it, is great. What’s not great is that my weekend post exercise BGs are out of whack. Here are the facts as I understand them:

1. I work out 5 days a week for 30 minutes. During the week, I exercise after work, around 5pm. On the weekends, I exercise first thing in the morning, around 6am.

2. I test before I exercise and if I’m below 130 I eat 17-20 carbs to cover the exercise. If I am below 130, I usually don’t eat anything.

3. 5 times now after morning exercise, I have gone high (>160). This morning, I went from a fasting of 154, no carbs consumed, standard workout, and was rewarded with 284. That was the most extreme high I’ve had in 6 months. I corrected it and ate breakfast, went to the store, came home and was whacked with a nasty (40) low that has turned me into a hypoglycemic puddle and I am PISSED.

4. I never go high after evening exercise

I’m printing my log and I think I’m going to send it to my endo on Monday. Or, should I send it to my dietician? Or my CDE? I could use some advice in the meantime, starting with which person do I send it to and then if anyone has any insight or personal experience, I could sure use some.guidance!!

Can you go on an iPro or possible consider a CGMS? That may help you see what’s going on with your #'s after you workout. Most insurance companies who won’t cover a CGMS for long-term use will still cover a 3-day one without much trouble.