Need advice

Thank you for your comment Melitta!

Does the pump and CGM help to avoid these hypos I read a lot about and crazy BG swings?

Before I get the tests should I try Met trying to lower my BG? Also I guess if it doesn't give any effect it will be even more likely that i have LADA...

Melitta you are 100% correct. I have been diabetic for 40 years. things have changed a lot. All for the better.

Tati,

Welcome to our family!!! I have had diabetes for 30 years and been pumping for 18. I would never go back to injections. Like Marie and others here, I can fine tune my insulin delivery and also my blood sugars. My A1c's are much better and I have NO complications. This website has given me the support and sense of family that I had been missing. As for depression and diabetes....yes we are prone to that. But, it's not a death sentence either. In my opinion, I think it comes with the territory of living and surviving with a live long condition.

I am so glad you are here and I look forward to seeing you in our chat room.

Sarah

Tati:

Hello once again and welcome to TUDiabetes. I am so touched by the angst in your post, and I hope you will gain some information and reassurance from our responses.

Obviously as a male I never had to deal with gestational diabetes and the fear that must leave during and after pregnancy. My mom faced that issue and of over the course of years I came to understand some of the issues and fears you are no doubt facing.

I do agree with most of the responses here that your very best bet is to see a good endocrinologist and start a relationship. It is not so much that you may or may not have diabetes at this moment. Both situations might call for some action.

Obviously if you are diagnosed with diabetes the earlier you start treatment the better your outcomes will be. I know it is tough to face but really this is a manageable disease and like all manageable things getting out ahead of the curve is best.

If you do not have diabetes, I do not think there is a lot to be concerned with, it still makes sense to visit with an endocrinologist and get comfortable with them, follow the instructions and I hope you will avoid having diabetes, if possible.

The world has changed a lot since my mom was diagnosed with gestational diabetes back in the late 50's. Today there are things that can and with the proper care will help outcomes.

I am certain you have the most wonderful motivation (your child) to stay on top of this issue. In the meantime know you are valued and cared for on this site. Please ask anything anytime.

It is so great to have you with us. We in this community and you can get through this. And I know what you are thinking, (no you are right) we cannot solve the issue, but we do offer support and understanding like no other place and for me at least that sometimes seems lacking elsewhere.

rick

Thank you Marie B!

Interesting that you mention a better control since you joined TuDiabetes! :)

I think I came to terms with pre-diabetes/type 2 onset, but LADA scares me way more... I'm not sure I will be getting any free insulin (I am from Russia - they give out medications but I'm not sure of the insulin quality, but live in Mexico) so I try to figure out how much would it cost to support my life? I know that everyone need different doses but even approximate costs are not clear...

Good to hear that from a Veteran!

Hi Tati: I certainly don't spend a lot of time with dangerously high numbers, but with the current T1 technology it is difficult to not have some highs and lows at times, for various reasons.

The pump has made a HUGE difference for me particularly in hypo reduction, especially overnight hypos. I exercise a lot, and my worst hypos have always been due to extreme exercise (however, I have never passed out nor needed assistance from another person due to a hypo). Now, with my CGM, I see those double arrows going down (meaning I am crashing) and a quick juice box solves the problem. I don't use much insulin (my total daily dose is low), so the pump really helps with fine-tuning and yes for me it helps with the blood sugar "rollercoaster." Regarding metformin, it is a Type 2 drug. I would say you should first get a correct diagnosis, and IMO if your diagnosis is Type 1 diabetes, I would not take metformin. Again, just my 2 cents.

Thank you for your comment Karen! And glad to hear you manage it so well.

Yes, they don't mention hypos a lot...

Thank you for these 2 cents, Melitta!

I was considering Met as getting test results will take about 10-14 days and I have really hard time with my BG level. Tiny breakfast on 1 egg omelette+cheese,tea and 3 berries made me feel high in 30 mins - it was 143, an hour later it got down only to 132... I did't feel well.And I week ago these numbers would be 40 points less. That looks like LADA, right?

Thank you for warm welcome Sarah!

And I'm so touched by your kind words Rick!

Speaking of the child I cannot help but think that she might have diabetes too and just hope that if she does it's not going to be in her childhood...

And also wanted to ask how did you manage to stick to low insulin dose? Is there a way to work towards it or it just happens for some people and for some it doesn't?

Most Type 1's take a relatively low insulin dose. Type 2's take larger doses due to insulin resistance. Type 1's can also develop insulin resistance over time, especially if they gain weight, and then their doses will go up.

Tati,
Sorry you are here but it is a good place to learn and ask lots of questions.
I'm officially coded as a LADA, treated as a T1, by my endo. Was dx in DKA, at 60. Have been through the ER misdiagnosis mill. Be sure you get to an endo who deals with T1s on a regular basis in addition to T2s. In the mean time get your PCP to order the full testing panel that Melitta recommended. Many primaries only know about T2, some know about c-peptide and GADA, but you need the full panel to get an accurate dx. I'm GADA negative, but ICA positive with a borderline low c-peptide. Thin, fit, active, and could not eat more than 15-20 grams of carbs a meal with out going high. Had a normal health screening 8months prior.
Metformin did nothing, MDI with basal and bolus insulin gave me my life back. Getting a CGM/dexcom g4 has made a huge difference in where my numbers run. It let me see how what I ate and when I dosed effected my BG numbers. Now that I'm pumping and using the cgm I can keep my numbers under tight control. Take a look at the flatliners club, it will give you an idea of what some of us can do with attention to what, when we eat in relation to how and when we dose. Not to mention how we try to modify highs and lows with diet and exercise.
Be aware there will be a learning curve with lots of trial and error, but you will be able to deal/adjust/find a way to lead a fairly normal life. It will just take a bit more work.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/flatlinersclub#comments

With your family/personal history and concern for your child exploring the trialnet site might be useful as well. They are doing screening/testing/exploring markers for potential risk for D.

https://www.diabetestrialnet.org/

Tati: Actually there is no evidence of a connection. I have met many children of gestational diabetics whose children both do and do not have diabetes. I can understand the natural conclusion of the connection. I certainly worried myself about the birth of my two sons. My wife, thankfully, did not have gestational diabetes but of course I was type 1 and my mom had gestational diabetes. But it goes back a little further in my family. My maternal grandmother had gestational diabetes and she had 7 children. Two of the 7 had type 1 diabetes while 5 did not. I was an only child so it might seem that a connection exists but of course my moms brothers and sisters tell a different story.

Now of course I have a friend and we are nearly the same age but she was diagnosed at age 4 with type 1 diabetes. Her mom never had gestational diabetes or type 1 or type 2. Her brother does not have diabetes.

Her two daughters, like my two sons do not have diabetes and thankfully so far none of our 7 grandchildren have any sign of diabetes.

I guess what I finally had to decide is that type 1 is a more random predisposition than any of us in my parents, my grandparents or my generation ever thought.

One other thing is absolutely true. My grandparents, my parents and my generation were absolutely different than your and your beautiful daughter’s generation. Quality of life and life expectancy is so much better for diabetics today. This is a positive time in treatment. If something were to happen, I hope you look at the far better life we enjoy today as the most positive thing, and it will only get better. Today's diabetics can, with reasonable care expect a full and very long life.

Yes diabetes is not a good thing for a person to have, but it is far from the worst either. I hope you focus on the modern outcomes with this disease as opposed to the things we might have known earlier in our lifes.

My mom always had a good way of talking about this. She would say life could be much worse, what I have found over the years is that she was absolutely correct.

Take care and please stay with us, as you know, you will find great support here.

Hi Tati: As Zoe says, Type 1s tend to need lower doses of insulin. The reason that I advocate for early diagnosis and early tight control with insulin is that you can then protect the remnant beta cells that have not been destroyed in the immune-mediated attached (autoimmunity). More remnant beta cells = better control = better outcomes/life. But at this point in time, I would say take the best care of yourself that you can, get in to see a good doctor who can get a correct diagnosis for you, and be your own best advocate within the medical system. I hope that we have not overwhelmed you with all this information! But again, I am confident that you will do well--you are asking great questions and are not in denial.

Thank you Melitta!

You all haven't overwhelmed me with all the information- you helped me not to drift away to crazy panic state.

Also what would be your expenses to cover you insulin intake if you didn't have insurance (I don't)