Need an opinion - NDR

I had seen the doc last week about feeling just blah. She felt a nodule on my thyroid, as I mentioned earlier. I had also been experiencing shortness of breath and heaviness in my chest, so she ordered blood tests to check my heart and thyroid. (now, this “doc” is actually a nurse practitioner that sees patients just like an MD - but I like her and she’s more thorough than my regular doc.). She mentioned at the appointment about a possible stress test and an ultrasound for the thyroid some time this week. I get a letter from my regular doc with my blood work results. Everything looked normal and he had suggested to the nurse practitioner not to schedule any more tests and told me to make an appointment with him for any further testing! What? These two aren’t in the same town, but they are in the same network. Can he do that? I don’t know if I should make the appointment with him, or go completely out of network and try someone else. He’s constantly prescribing meds that I don’t feel I need, and I don’t fill them the prescriptions (he’s prescribed cholesterol meds and blood pressure meds, both of which are normal, for the most part). I’m just not sure what to do. I usually try and avoid all docs, but unfortunately I just can’t…

If there’s a nodule on your thyroid, the blood test isn’t going to reveal the answer. You need either a) an ultrasound b) a fine-needle biopsy or c) a nuclear-medical study of your thyroid, in order to find out whether there’s anything bad growing in there. So IMO it doesn’t matter who orders the test, but you ought to get further testing.