Need help for new diabetic persons

Lots of good advice here, but let me add one more thing - that might make your trips to the grocery store a little easier.
Shop the outside isles of the store - that’s where all the healthier foods are. Farther in are all the processed foods and most of those will have added ingredients that will make it harder to achieve your health goals. The edges of the store is where the produce, meat, fish, some of the dairy are located – fill your cart with these foods and you will be on your way to better health.

2 Likes

not so much eat sugar

1 Like

maybe if you gave us some examples of typical and favorite meals you have been eating, we could make some good suggestions for possible substitutions?

What do you usually have for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

and yes, you need a meter imo

2 Likes

Thanks I wish I saw this before I left. It was really difficult. I will try you method next time.

Hey there!! First of all…it’s great that you’ve found a place where you and your sister can connect with folks who “get it”. Secondly, don’t panic…this is day by day, learn as go!
I wanted to suggest that you can greatly reduce sugar in baking etc., by adding more spices. For example, in making muffins, I reduce the sugar demands in the recipe by over half, and add a lot of cinnamon. The taste of cinnamon fools you into thinking that it is sugary :wink:
For beverages, skip the straight up juices, skip the pop, careful with milk…it contains lactose, anything ending in “ose” is sugar. Read the nutrition labels on the side of packets/containers. Water is great, of course…but it gets boring. What I do is flavour the water…but not artificially. I add fruit combos, or fruit/veg. combos to my water. Say, strawberry with melon, or strawberry with mint leaves…or sliced cucumber with raspberries. The sky’s the limit. Anyway…experiment. It’s all according to individual tastes. Add to that walking. It will benefit you in a myriad of ways. Last but not least…stay connected. Hugs…you’ve got this!!

2 Likes

I have been on my diabetes medication for a while now. I just had dental surgery and they prescribed me with Ibuprofen. I wanted to know if I take this will it affect my diabetes medication. I only have three pill left of my diabetes medicine that I have left to take. Or should I start taking this ibuprofen after I am done with it? Thanks

I’m confused. What kind of diabetes medication are you taking, with only 3 left?

Did your doctor say to stop when you finished them ?

Typically most meds for diabetics have to be taken forever, and you would refill your RX until your doctor makes changes.

2 Likes

Ibuprofen will bring down your temperature, but it should not affect any diabetic med that I know. What diabetic med are you on (MM1’s question) ?

I’m T2 since last April and also have CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease - Stage 3). Little or no sugar or salt in my diet if possible.
The rule of thumb as I live it is shop outside the aisles. Usually the majority of item on shelves in the aisles are high in sugar and/or salt.
I have eliminated the majority of the food I’ve enjoyed over the past 60 years.
You still have to read the labels on the foods around the outside perimeters, but plenty there to eat.
I do cheat on my diet at about a 10% rate, but not to extremes. I’ve decided I can still live a normal life and enjoy some treats while still indulging from time to time.
My A1C was 6.9. It has dropped to 5.5, but even with better numbers I am told I will always be diabetic.
I can handle the diabetes, it’s the CKD that worries me. I never want to be on dialysis.

I would do a follow up with your doctor.
1.get RX for strips for a meter.
2.go over medication
3.ask to see a CDE ,take a diabetes education class.
4.did he do lab work,ask for a copy.
A1C is a test we follow ( average blood sugar over 3 months)
5.if he refuses,I would find another doctor.
You have a good place to get support. Nancy

1 Like

Your goal is to eat no sugar no potatoes no rice and no wheat with the understanding that such a goal is pretty unattainable. Testing will always be the best indication of what you can eat or can’t eat. Should you be able to keep your blood sugar below 140 you will be doing very well. 140 is the point at which your risk for damaging your body starts to be significant and starts to progress from. Oatmeal is low GI but it spikes the heck out of some people so again go with the testing. You should find some Veggie Tots in the freezer section and some riced cauliflower which will be substitutes for tater tots and rice. Some Walmart’s carry a tuber called jicama. Jicama taste great raw or baked as chips or fries, you can also mash it as a substitute for potatoes, just make sure you always always peel it. Drinking lots of water is always a good thing. Eggs are always good for breakfast. My version of tater tot casserole is browned ground turkey with low sodium cream of chicken soup and veggie tots. I like to boil cabbage and dice up some sausage to go in it. For snacks I like to use Wasa Bread and cheese. Another thing I like is in the frozen section Green Giant has cheese sauced cauliflower.