Need to get my first pump

I went to see my Dr last week, and he informed me that he really wants me to go on a pump. I was just diagnosed with type 1 eight months ago, so things are still pretty new to me and I'm a little nervous switching things up and having to re-figure out what I'm doing.

Does anyone know what kind of prices pumps run? I've talked to my ins already, and they will cover 85% after I reach my $1500 deductable. But, without knowing what prices they are, that doesn't really mean very much to me...
Also, does anyone have any pumps that they would recommend more that others, or pumps to stay away from? Or, does anyone have any other advise?

I've only ever had a Minimed (since 1998), so can't attest to any of the other pumps on the market. Out of pocket, without insurance, Minimed pumps were about $5,000. Minimed's customer service is really great, in that if you provide your insurance information, they will get back to you with what your out-of-pocket will be on the pump purchase. The ongoing supplies will be another story. But, from what you stated above, once you hit $1,500, you'll be paying the 15% for supplies. Did you check with your insurance to see if they had restrictions on what pumps would be covered?

I just got my first pump in late June, Accuchek Combo. Originally Roche was going to be the supplier but when they (Roche) realized they were an out-of-network provider they found an in-network provider (a difference of me paying only 10% versus 30%). The DME billed ~$6,800. Insurance company approved just over $4000 and my share was $403.51 (insurance cut a check for just over $3,600).

I personally like the Combo pump and had compared it to the Animas Ping (the guy who works for me has that one so I had actually seen that one in use). At the end of the day I felt that the Combo pump was better for me both from a treatment perspective and financial one. In my mind that is the real question. What pump will get you the lowest out-of-pocket costs in the long-run. In my case, the test strips were the key because all else was equal. With the Aviva test strips I don't pay a co-pay at all but if I changed brands I would incur a significant OOP cost (comparably).

Good luck!

Mike

Animus ping in 2009 was $6K but I like it a lot more than my previous Minimed because the cannulas were a lot more painful with Minimed to insert. My first pump was minimed in 2001 and then they were $5K.

I recently switched from the OmniPod to the t:slim. I absolutely love it! It’s a touchscreen pump. No more finger numbing scrolling to input numbers! The delivery system is different. My A1c went down from the mid 6s to 5.7.
. Since I had met my out of pocket of $1000, my pump was no cost to me. Your cost will depend upon what sort of deal your insurance company has worked with the supplier. I believe that suggested retail for most pumps is around $6500.

http://diatribe.org/issues/47/test-drive

http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/p_compar.shtml

In Canada, a pump is $7000.00. What you pay in the states, not sure. Our insurance paid 100% but now our province covers insulin pumps.

Responding to the nervousness about making the switch: I changed to a pump (Minimed) about 6 months ago. If you're on a basal + novolog (or humalog) regime the basics are much the same (insulin-carb ratios, correction ratios, basal vs bolus), but you have much finer control over increments and the ability to set different basal rates to match what your metabolism actually does throughout the 24-hr cycle. Which all sounds great--and it is--but at least in my case I could wish my trainers had done a better job of setting expectations. Everyone's metabolism is different, and everything may just go smoothly but DON'T freak out if it takes weeks, not days, to get everything dialed in. The bias is toward adjusting settings gradually and conservatively because the danger of hypoglycemia is more immediate than running some temporary highs. There are a lot of variables that come into play and you may find yourself saying Whhaaaaaat????!!! when you think you've done everything right but your BG meter tells you different. Infusion sites can have different absorption rates; bubbles in the tube can screw things up; tubes can get kinked; restaurants can put a LOT more carbs in sauces and whatnot than you expect; "dawn phenomenon" rates can change over time and so on. Too, you're testing a lot more frequently so some of the spikes may have been there anyway but you're more aware of them.

I say all that not to be discouraging, but in my case I think I was more anxious about the results I was seeing than I would have been had someone said "Don't freak out if you're still getting weird numbers several weeks in. It takes time to adjust."

We’ll said. Seems as if there are a lot of cases where we are given a pump, numbers are plugged in and we are essentially patted on the head with no real idea of all of the tweaking that might be necessary. In the end, it’s worth it. Prior to pumping, my A1c was 9.4; it’s now 5.7. As I stated, it even dropped when I changed pumps.

Once you settle in with basically the right figures, you’ll love the much better control. Even then, you will occasionally find the need to make adjustments. Life is ever changing.

By the way, you’ll love being able to have various profiles–work, sleeping in (weekend), sick days, exercise, etc. You cannot adjust basals at will when you’re on MDIs.

Good luck! Take a deep breath. It’ll be fine.

Regarding pump types, I'm using a Medtronic but if I could go back 6 months and start over I'd be very interested in the Asante Snap. We had a live-chat demo here on tudiabetes earlier this summer and I was impressed. The designers have taken a fresh look at insulin pump design from a very user-centered perspective, and they seem to have fixed a lot of things I find frustrating about how most of these devices work.

Number one: they use pre-filled reservoirs, which eliminates my single biggest source of irritation when changing sets: getting the damn bubbles out. Shades of my pre-pen, R/NPH days in the distant past--I hated tapping syringes back then and it's even more critical with a pump because the voids throw delivery off significantly. It's the single most time-consuming and aggravating part of the whole procedure AFAIC.

I also like the way they divide up the system between the delivery and control units--a bit hard to describe here but they've got YouTubes up showing how it works. It seems to streamline the process of changing infusion sets considerably (I believe the rep said one of their users was able to change infusion sets while standing by his car in a snowstorm--seriously???). They've also worked very hard on the readability and logic of the info display--you can actually read it in bright sunlight.

And it has a built-in LED flashlight! Which tickles me no end in itself, not to mention I can imagine it coming in handy (e.g: changing sets while standing next to your car in a snowstorm).

The one big-ish drawback is that the prefilled reservoirs are currently humalog-only. They say they're close to having a Novolog version. I've seen some online discussion of how big a difference that makes--might be worth looking into more deeply if you're on Novolog but want to consider this option.

On edit: I believe they are also the lowest-cost device on the market.

How did you like the Omnipod when you had it? My husband keeps talking about how he thinks he'll be freaked out about the tubbing on the other pumps...

Thanks!! That's really good to know! I had seen the comparisons for the Asante snap, and had pretty much written it off because it said that sometimes it squeaks during delivery...but after hearing all that I think it deninitely deserves a second look.