Need your help. Feeling ill in Mexico

Need your help. I am in Mexico on vacation and have come down with something last night. I have body aches the chills,upset stomach and might have a fever. My blood sugar is good right now 86. I want to know what can I take that won’t make my BS drop or rise.

Tequila?

You can take an NSAID, although I would avoid Tylenol/Acetaminophen since that messes with meters and CGMs. And an upset stomach might be relieved by any number of things. If it is nausea there are lots of antiemetics medication like Pepto-Bismol. You may also find an antihistamine helps.

ps. And I was just kidding with the Tequila.

1 Like

Damn. Now I’m going to have that song running through my head all day (“Tequila”).

My endo offered up these three meds off of the symptoms I gave him over the phone. What do you guys think?

Zithromax
Cephalexin
Cladimacine

I just got this from a Mexican pharmacist. What do you guys think?

zertalin

I suspect you’re not the first vacationer in Mexico to come down with gastric upset… It happens very frequently because we’re not routinely exposed to their ‘bugs’ frequently from the tap water… Or even just ice in your drink that came from tap water, or brushing your teeth with the tap water… . The recommendations from your endo and what the pharmacist gave you are all pretty standard antibiotics… I suspect they’ll straighten you out.

I think the pills they give you are the Mexican version of Zithromax

1 Like

I find Zithromax pretty easy to tolerate myself, and I have a terrible time with most antibiotics. One thing to know if you’re female is that it, like many antibiotics, can cause yeast infections by killing off the good bacteria that keep yeast in check, and this is can be all the more likely in diabetics. I usually get some Diflucan/fluconazole as a precaution when I’ve taken it, but YMMV. Yogurt or something with probiotics can also help once you can tolerate eating it. Hope you feel better soon!

If you’re eating in restaurants, I suggest ordering consome de pollo (a clear chicken broth). When you’re feeling up for something more substantial, you could order huevos revueltos (scrambled eggs)–better yet, maybe they can prepare a hard-boiled egg. Maybe a bit of frijoles de olla (which will not have the grease of refritos).
Uggh, I do not envy you!

Also teas are good for your stomach & you need to stay hydrated.
Te negro (black)
Te de yerba buena (mint)
Te de manzanilla (chamomile)

Thanks guys for all the responses. I took the zithrolin and felt better the next day. Only sick one day out of the seven so it didn’t ruin my vacation. I am back home now but in hospital because I injured my foot. Playing some basketball is my hobby and my pain now. They offered me motrin and I refused them. What do you guys take for pain?