Nephropathy

Hi, Elizabeth. My appointment is on March 3rd, only a month out, so I think I can wait. I have to get the labs done first anyway.
My biggest concern is diet – I’ve been reducing carbs, which does do good things for my BGs, but from what I know about kidney diets (exceedingly little!), they want you to reduce protein, so what is left to eat? I am NOT a veggie lover!
I’m hoping this turns out to be a fluke – just my kidneys recovering from the coma, but I am worried, anway.

Natalie, Keep your spirits up! I was diagnosed CKD IV ( and diabetes T2) when I had a bleed stroke April 08 took things in hand and have turned 18% kidney function into 28% and rising so its not all downhill! I was told I would be showing that I was improving when I started blowing the froth off my medicine!! NO, I’m not going to drink THAT!!
Good luck.

So, I got my results back today. I’m not dealing with as bad of CKD as was first thought. We are looking at Stage 1 CKD and in 3 months we are going to see if things have improved, as I’m doing diet modification and increasing my ACE inhibitors, and go from there. So, it’s good bad news! I’m hoping that my 3 month endo appointment will show that things are progressing good and that we can pause this as long as possible!

hooray!

my mother just came back from her endo right now.

she is borderline on everything…eyes kidney etc.

bc diabetes has a quite slow rate of development, you usually get a warning of pending things…

thats why i said remove the worse case scenario

guess what? she came home with her '24 hr urine bottle; (for the test) ands i thought of you.

so now i am happy its ‘good bad news’…be strong girl, bc you are !

um, high amounts of creatine and protein in your urine? isn’t that symptom of proteinura? I hope you get better. I understand the freaking out part. Just being diagnosed with diabetes freaked me out as I am sure many others here. I’m still freaking out. Your human. If you didn’t freak out a bit that would not be a good sign. You should have a second test done just to make sure. I do that quite a bit now. I have noticed how many medical assistants, lab techs, and nurses handle samples. Its terrible. The lab makes a difference too. The integrity of the sample cannot be compromised. Where I am the doctor sometimes sends them to a cheaper lab if he wants to save you a buck. The only one here I kind of trust is Quest Diagnostics. They actually seal that stuff in front of you, stamp it and have you sign off on it. everything will be ok. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/proteinuria/

Very happy to hear this was a false alarm, so to speak. I would not expect to read you progressed from high blood pressure to kidney disease. You are in the beginning stage and I believe you can hold or perhaps reverse. You can stay in this stage for many years, perhaps forever. But I am glad you changed endos because the last endo did not catch this. Untreated, the prognosis could have been worse.

Thanks Jan. Yeah, I’m just dealing with it all one day at a time. And I’m hoping to stay here, or reverse, for as long as possible and just living life. I’m completely in love with my new endo as she’s AMAZING! I think my old one was just tired of practicing- he’s retiring in the next year. He’s good, but not quite on his game anymore!