Nerves AND exercise – not a good mix…

Eden has been back playing her beloved basketball for one week now after her broken thumb..

Last night she attended a girls only clinic (she plays on a boys team) and was one of the older more experienced girls there.

Coach knows her well and put her through her paces – sometimes making her do many more reps than the other girls. Fine by me – sometimes she needs to be pushed and I am always happy when the coaches recognize that and don’t let her coast.

Something else happened too – he asked her to lead some of the ball handling exercises. And by that I mean stand in the center of a large circle of girls, demonstrate and call out the exercises.

NOT really big deal..

Except for the fact that Eden does NOT like to be the center of attention – all eyes were on her…

What does that mean?

She was nervous – Nerves drive blood sugar numbers UP.

• First blood sugar check – slightly elevated – she got a small correction of insulin
  • Second check – even more elevated – not unusual due to adrenaline.

I decided not to give any additional insulin because I was worried she might drop too low with 1 hour left to go

After : 1.5 hours of drills and ball handling and 1 hour of scrimmage play.

RESULT …

oh boy…

that is by far the HIGHEST

she has EVER been after basketball…

nerves and adrenaline

were a not her friend last night…

For those of you who are unaware – a blood sugar range within 80-180 is acceptable.

Eden’s ideal target blood sugar is 110-120 – anything outside of these parameters and we need to adjust her insulin dosages.

She was almost FIVE TIMES higher than she should have been…

Even more difficult -

• Knowing that she NEEDS insulin immediately to bring the blood sugar level down.
  • But ALSO knowing that once her body settles down so will her blood sugar levels.
  • Being basically bed time – knowing what to do so she doesn’t bottom out and crash in the middle of the night.

By some MIRACLE -

I managed to get the balancing act right last night.

After giving her HALF the insulin usually required to bring her down from such a high blood sugar – I actually also reduced her basal (background insulin infused 24hrs a day via her pump) for most of the overnight hours.

Seems like an oxymoron to GIVE her insulin but also TAKE AWAY insulin but it worked..

A few over night finger prick checks and insulin tweaks later

This is what we saw this morning..

Hallelujah!

BIG D win…

not sure I will ever be able to repeat it mind you

- but happy to celebrate this little victory.

http://edenseffort.wordpress.com

Congratulations!

I love it when we can nail the ART of blood Glucose management.

Wow!! She really went through the ropes on this one didn't she.Does the coach know how putting her in the center of attention will affect her now? Will she be put through that again?

That's a HUGE victory!! Well done, edenseffort. That was no mean feat :)