Nervous

Tomorrow…

Tomorrow is the start of the Omnipod system…If I told you I wasn’t nervous I would be telling a fib. I am still new to the whole insulin thing; trying to get the lingo down…Basal, Bolus, Carb to insulin ratio…Dang, my poor little head is pounding. What if I don’t or I can’t get this thing down, Did I choose the right system? I ask myself…I guess I will not know until I start using the POD. I think sometime we wish and want something so bad and when we get it, it doesn’t live up to the hype; I pray to God that isn’t the case.

I miss the days I was taking metformin and glipizide. I miss not watching carbs or checking my Bg’s, that was my past, the omnipod and insulin is my future. I have come to except it. The Omnipod is apart of my family! I have to stop getting nervous, trust myself and God; he hasn’t brought me this far to leave me.

Cherise

Hi Cherise - I just had my one month anniversary of being on the Pod. I hadn’t even touched an insulin pump for almost 11 years. I used a pump two times in the past. I was pregnant and did not want to deal with 10 to 12 injections a day. I hated the tubing and went right back to injections after having each of my children. When I saw the Pod I immediately wanted to try it. I’ve had diabetes for 27 years and it seemed to be getting harder to manage as I get older (I’m 37). I am having a great deal of luck with this gizmo. My levels don’t swing like they had been doing and I’m not having bg’s under 20 in the middle of the night any longer. I find that it is easy to wear and not having to put the sets in is great! I’m not the one inserting it! It does it all by itself. You have terrific flexibility with the dosing and programming it is a snap. Once you get all of your ratios right and your basal rates set up it will be a breeze! I love the whole “no tubing” thing. I’ve worn it on my abdomen, my lower back and my arm. I have it on my arm right now and so far I think I like it here best. When I start wearing the sleeveless shirts in the summer it may be an issue but for now it’s tremendous. I am an extremely happy “podder” and so is my husband because he can now sleep through the night too!

Hope this helps!

Karen

Hey girl! I am excited for you. It is hard not to be nervous. I am 41 and have been on MDI for 30 years. I was so excited about the pump. I had all those same things running through my mind that you are nervous about. I kept thinking what if I don’t like it or if it doesn’t work like everyone claims it does. I had a great rep. that I could call at anytime. She met with me several times after my daughter and I got our pumps and made the transition so smooth for us. It took me a long time to even think of changing from MDI to a pump because it was working for me. When my daughter was diagnosed last year I was determined that we were going to get her on one. I didn’t want her to be burdened with all those injections starting college and all. We did it together and were able to help each other out learning it. We have lots of fun with it comparing our carbs and boluses and BG’s. She has more fun than me with the laughes. She is younger and was able to learn it all a little faster than me. We tell everyone that we got PUMPED together. Your are going to do just fine. I am sure you will love it. I will say a little prayer for you.

Teresa