Neuropathy happenings

2 Likes

@mohe0001 THANK YOU! for this article! I hope something positive is derived from the research in my lifetime. :crossed_fingers:

I got it from one of the guys at the Mayo. I know this topic pops up from time to time and its a tough one.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for posting the article!
As a newbie Type 2 (Diagnosed 7.17.2020) I know it will take time to learn what works and what doesn’t in managing my diabetes (and that it will change many times during my remaining lifetime), but peripheral neuropathy has plagued me almost without mercy. Despite the lifestyle changes through diet and exercise, weight loss, and never missing my medication (Metformin IR 500mg X 2, at breakfast and dinner) there is still mainly only bad days and really bad days.

I have been taking Alpha Lipoic Acid but understand that it can take a long time to provide some relief or may never end up doing anything. I have been wondering if my B12 has become depleted due to Metformin use and will be asking my Primary Doctor if I can have that checked. From what I have read low B12 levels can increase peripheral neuropathy intensity, frequency, and bout duration. OC pain relievers give temporary (moderate) relief, but I worry about liver damage with long term usage and needing increased dosage amounts when what once helped becomes ineffective.

For those whom have been dealing with this for many years, my heart goes out to you! Diabetes is bad enough without adding additional problems like this on top of it! I truly hope as El_Ver said that “something positive is derived from the research in my lifetime”.

John

1 Like

Poor guys down there at the Mayo. I know we can all get a little hard on healthcare providers. But, he posted a reference to this song as an analog for their effort to keep medical research moving forward during this period. They are trying.

Thanks for the reminder! For me, the desire for relief of those suffering is not meant to ever diminish the noble efforts of our science and medical communities. Without many years of research and advancements, where would we be as a civilization?

Wow, that takes me back! I had forgotten how young and hip Sonny & Cher once were. The video does have odd moments though - What’s up with the cattle eye ball close ups… :smiley:

John

1 Like

It was 1966. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The wet nose cattle shot bothers me.

1 Like

In 1966 I was 3 years old. With that information in mind, I probably liked the cattle much better than the song at that age! :thinking:

John

1 Like