Never had insulin not work

Hi Sarah,
I am thinking you did the obvious and tested your blood for ketones. You don’t have to be sick. Thinking back to my original training Ketones = will need 1.5 times as much insulin to correct until resolves.

Susan

This was pump life for me and that’s why I finally went back to injection. Changes out everything … I’ve had it as the set but also the reserve where insulin was spilling back into the plunger area so the pump didn’t register anything being wrong. That’s the problem with this equipment we just expect it to work … or your in a bad spot, cannula moved, scar tissue.

I have this problem frequently. Most of the time it’s just a site change that resolves it. But, about 3 times a year I am convinced it is the insulin. I try a new bottle and my sugars drop immediately. I called the company that makes the insulin and told them I was sure there was something wrong with the insulin. They replaced it. They can ask you to send it to them, but they didn’t. I only called twice. I should be more consistent, Have a bottle in my frig now that made my week a disaster!! Changed and having 98% in goal range for 3 solid days. I’ve been on a pump since 1980 and I have been T1 for 54 years.

2 Likes

As I mentioned earlier, after a while the FIASP just stopped working totally. Tried different sites, a new vial etc. Went back to Humalog and I now find I can use FIASP sparingly. When my BG goes too high I’ll use 1 or 2 units of FIASP, and so long as I don’t do it more than once every day or two. Also seems the Humalog works faster than it was when I use a bit of FIASP at the same time. Not sure why it happens, but using the Freestyle Libre makes it easier to track changes in BG (once you take into account the time delay for interstitial blood). Not sure how I will manage this when I go to a pump later this month.

1 Like