New Dexcom update Yuk! Now you have to

I don’t see any way of downloading that onto my phone on that page? I think I would like to try this on my iPhone however I am wondering it can affect my Dexcom app and is there any chance I can affect my phone overall?

You can check for more info on the facebook site mentioned. I use the android xDrip, so can’t help with apple.

Where Can I Get Help?

The main public support group for all support is the xDrip4iOS group on Facebook. Feel free to join the group, ask questions and participate.

1 Like

@MM1 Sorry, I guess I did go over getting Loop. Sorry, but that was aggravating and I guess I remember that the most lol!

I heard someone mention that XDrip could be used for iphones now. You used to have to get Spike which was a process. I used to have that and it went down and is back up but a hassle it looks like. I see where you posted the link to the FB group. Thanks! I had already downloaded SugarMate so I have that. I just requested to join the xdrip group and I guess they have instructions.

Thanks again @MM1 I am looking forward to it!

1 Like

Just knowing there is the possibility he might be able to get a sample to try is so helpful. I’ll look into that. But also knowing the short comings especially those alarm sounds is good to know about.

Head nods to Wizard. Sounds like an amazing fella. I’m sure you miss him a lot.

1 Like

@TinaB I use both a Dexcom and a Libre. The Dexcom is more accurate, but I snorkel and the LIbre can be scanned underwater while I am swimming. The reader is in a waterproof pouch. The Libre is off by 20-30 points usually although it’s gets closer at lower numbers and maybe a little but more accurate towards it’s end. It can’t be calibrated like Dexcom can unless you use a separate app so it just isn’t as accurate…

But I pay attention to what I am trending. That way I can tell if I’m dropping too much. My husband who was/is a type 2 has used a few and it was invaluable for him to learn how food affected him. Wearing a CGM just gives them a much better picture what their BG level is doing. It’s where he learned if he wants to eat spaghetti he either needs to make sure he swims or goes for a long walk. It just gives them a full picture of how high they go and how long they stay there and what works to help.

2 Likes

Yes. This is exactly what I’m thinking. I know this type of feedback of having a CGM is how I was able to lower A1c and stay down the 3 yrs I’ve had it, and also to stay in range over 90%. I believe the adage is: What is measured is managed.

2 Likes

SO I did the mandatory update two days ago. To respond to a couple of posts upthread, of course I want it to be able to alert me, but I do need to be able to limit them to vibrate when I switch my phone to silent because I’m a singer and musician and I can’t have the thing screaming blue murder in the midst of rehearsal or god forbid a church service. And that’s what it does now. Completely bypasses whatever’s in its way and lets out a piercing shriek EVEN WHEN I HAVE HEADPHONES ON. Got a taste of that on my bike ride this afternoon. Startled looks from pedestrians as I passed by.

During set up it told me it wouldn’t install unless I turned on Critical Alerts (play a sound even if a Focus is on or sound is muted) and Time Sensitive Notifications. Does anyone know what happens if you toggle those off after the new version has installed? I’m in the midst of a new sensor start up so I don’t want to risk it right now.

3 Likes

@DrBB If you toggle off critical alerts, the app won’t let you use it. It won’t change anything in regard to your actual sensor. You can have it off on your phone and use the Dex receiver or turn them back on with no issues. What annoys me, is it’s an all or nothing now. To get rid of it you have to turn off notifications on the Dexcom app and in Apple’s setting under the Dexcom app. Just don’t turn off critical alerts if you still want to look at your BG level or are using anything that relies on it. If you turn everything off you can still get a vibrate. It could be worse, someone said it came on while she was on the phone and it hung up her call. When I was on the phone a banner came up that wouldn’t go away and sounds beeping. Very annoying.

This is what Apple responded to me.

Thank you for reaching out! We understand the issue some Users are experiencing with Critical Alerts and while we work to assess a solution, you do have the option to turn off your “Always Sound”. This will stop the overriding of the mute/DND. To turn off Always Sound in Settings > Alert settings. Always Sound turns notifications into Critical Alerts because Critical Alerts (by Apple) are the only way we can override Mute/DND. Another option you may find helpful to stop the alerts is to choose “Vibrate Only” per alert. We do appreciate you letting us know as our Product team is taking customer feedback to find a better a solution with Apple alerts to be less intrusive. Hope this helps! You may also find this FAQ helpful: https://www.dexcom.com/faqs/what-are-ios-critical-alerts

4 Likes

I am prolly going to turn my phone off when I teach. There doesn’t seem to be any way around this which is really just crazy Dexcom needs to change this immediately. I use my receiver as well so I will just use that again when I work with the reason I bought my watchlist so I could look at my wrist and tell what my blood sugar is which is easier and faster. However a lot of the time and the watch doesn’t connect very well and doesn’t tell me anything. You would think with all these devices I could figure out some thing that works, but no they just decided to make it even worse.

2 Likes

That is not going to work I already did that and I’m still getting sound alerts. The only way to stop this now is to turn off your phone or close the app out I think even then it still seems to be alerting at times. you can’t use the app now without allowing critical alerts. And if you allow critical alerts it’s on sound alerting you with every blood sugar in your ranges. Certainly you’re still going to have the 55 and 55 going low sound even though they should be allowed to be turned to vibrate if that’s what you want, this type of control freakism is crazy.

2 Likes

Well, he may not mind the sound the way I do but at least he can try it. My wizard- I miss him every second of every day for sure, he was so amazing. I accidentally trapped him many years ago when I was trying to trap another outdoor cat, he was supposed to go up for adoption but he was FIv positive and we ended up keeping him thank goodness, Because no one would even put him up for adoption at that point in time- sweetest boy on the planet ever :heart::rainbow: he was nearly 20 to 21 when he passed and with me for about 17- 18 years.

3 Likes

It is all very irritating. Not everyone is having an issue,soit must be with certain phones and the ios system on it. I don’t use my Dexcom to know if I drop to 55 because I never used to drop because I had an alert early enough to let me know. I guess a bunch of people have turned their alerts up to high numbers so it never goes off.

I am mad because they have messed up how I was using it because it’s off now. So I’m just getting vibrate. But that’s only good a small percentage of the time as I don’t carry it around with me at home and it’s in my purse when out and about. But I had it alert me at 130 and the receiver at 160, just in case I kept climbing and didn’t know. Now I am constantly looking at it, Sigh Yuk!

1 Like

@MM1 I have a question for you.
I joined the xdrip group and it looks like you have to wait for room for an invite for testflight? Or you use Shuggah? I would set up my own Apple account but it sounds like that’s complicated?

I use xdrip on android, and didn’t need to do that. Didn’t realize there would be more setup for xDrip Ios. Did you check the facebook group?

On a somewhat funny side note. I find the low alarm to be an incredible chick magnet. Whenever I go to a large gathering and the low alarm goes off, diabetic women come up to me to offer candies or gummies. :yum:

10 Likes

@MM1 That is per the FB Group
I was hoping you would know the different set ups

So is anyone familiar with the ios XDrip Group and download routes?

Oh my goodness what a blessing for the both of you to have been together for so long with him having FIV. I do totally understand the missing him everyday. With the exception of two, one already elderly and the other FIV+, all our rescued kitties have been with us 15 to 20 years. Our Mia, age 20, just passed two weeks ago and my heart has been broken again, but would never want to have been without her all those years. Wizard’s longevity is a testament to your love and excellent care. Heart hugs to you. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I am amazed, people look at me like I’m an alien when mine alerts, no d or any men trying to help me :laughing:

1 Like

So sorry about Mia, run free sweet Mia… I know you know how painful it is. Especially to have had them for so long. Yes it was a blessing and he stayed with me so long. There will never be another Wizard for sure or another Mia. Hugs :hugs: the pain is the price we pay to have them in our lives.

1 Like

This sounds awfully suspicious to me, chicks walking up to him and offering him candies or gummies.

Should we be allowing stories like this on a family-oriented forum?

2 Likes