New DHF Facebook game helps people with diabetes improve everyday behaviors

Two things iv learned

1. no two diabetics are the same
  2. sometimes the answer can be in front of you and you don’t see it, and sometimes something that seems easy to accomplish is not easy for others or at first ( ex. I hate dishes, but I know I can do them, but I hate them, funny ex.)

In other words this app is no different then this website, away to connect with people and promote healthy living.

Have you looked around you, there are video games to help exercise and cook meals. Video games are just another alternative way of interactive learning kinda like how we come to tudiabetes to socialize with other diabetics, when we could just go to group meetings. How is learning from a book or class any different then a video game? Don’t diss something you haven’t tried, it’s ignorant.

Isn’t it funny that IBM toyed with the notion of point and click colored icons in 1954, but shelved the idea because it was kiddies stuff.
Nearly forty years later someone picked up the idea and ran with it, and is now the world’s richest man!
Yep, Bill Gates turned it into ‘Microsoft Windows’ which was packaged with the majority of worldwide computers sold.
It just made computing a simple point and click exercise.
Yep, Bill Gates is the world’s richest man.
I mean isn’t using Windows this easier than learning over 100 DOS commands for a PC operating system.Like File search, transfer, directory search etc.
Please, people, don’t kill the Goose that Lays the Golden Egg.
So, gotta love those ‘point and click’ computer games for work, learning, fun and games etc., maybe even for ’ Life & Death’ too.
Thanks Manny, Good work. Keep it up.
Every little bit helps. Michael.

I’ve tried all the missions. I’m not able to complete any of them. Almost every choice is a step back for me.

What bothers me most is that low carbing is not only not acknoeledged, but it’s put down as bad for us.

You might be thinking that it’s just easier to forgo carbs altogether. But by not eating them, you’ll miss out on an important source of energy as well as other key nutrients found in carb foods (some that you can’t get in a pill, either). Focus on getting the healthier carb foods in your eating plan. That means fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain foods such as whole wheat bread, oatmeal and brown rice, legumes (like chick peas, black beans and lentils) and nonfat or lowfat milk and yogurt.

Phooey! Low carbing is a shift from high insulin producing foods like carbs and high protein to low insulin producing foods like healthy grass-fed meats and ocean fishes and nuts and … Fats provide energy. They are caloric, no? Do we need carbs? Probably, but we don’t need 60% of our calories in them. We are very good at making carbs we need, and our brain and heart actually work better with ketones in our system.

Saturated fats are not the bad guys. Their assessment is based purely on association studies: cholesterol is found in atherosclerosis so high cholesterol must be bad. It is very much a fiereman/fire relationship. Firemen are associated with fires, but removing them is silly. Cholesterol is the same. It is such an important substance. Every cell in the body needs it, the brain depends on it, and it is a building block of vit D which has become chronically short. These people also totally ignore the Friedwald formula which they all know is flawed. They don’t actually count lipoproteins; they spin them in a centrifuge and measure the volumes of the separated goo. This only works if particle sizes are standard. They are not. SF’s raise LDL because they are large, fluffy, and benign. More and more are now agreeing that the small dangerous LDLs are created via fructose. These VLDL remnants are considered much more artherogenic.

The root cause of atherosclerosis is leaning more and more towards inflammation. It makes much more sense to treat the cause rather than the body’s fixer upper. Leading dietary causes of inflammation are sugars, grains, and highly processed/unstable fats – read polyunsaturated. This stuff is not at all clear. I’ve made my own assessments based on what I know and what makes sense. Common sense says that foods we evolved on shouldn’t be bad for us. We had saturated fats and animal products in our diets from nearly day 1 some 4.6 billon years ago. Rolled grains are 150 years old. The earliest signs of grain farming are 23k years old. That’s extremely recent. Evolutionary theory clearly says refining grains and sugars are what’s killing us.

The VAST MAJORITY of diabetics I see go on low carb diets see major improvements in lipid profiles. HDLs rise, LDLs rise some then fall some, and Triglycerides usually see dramatic falls. Every major risk ratio improves except for the lone LDL marker. LDL alone is a very poor indicator of risk: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/majority-of-hospitalized-heart-75668.aspx

The official policies about fat will eventually change to a more reasonable stance. The political and financial resistance is just too high right now, and probably will be for my lifetime. Imagine the cost and upheaval associated with turning our corn and wheat fields back into grass fed animal fields. Imagine all the industrial infrastructure that needs to change. The jobs. The lawsuits!

Every day I search for the truth about what’s good for us. Every day the evidence says get rid of grains and sugars.

I do know this game is an improvement for most people. That is not a bad thing.

Yeah, I signed up for a mission, and with another TuD member as a friend, we are challenging each other… both because we need encouragement to take time for ourselves, and to actually exercise. Not bad, really… I am so unmotivated right now, that a challenge buddy is just the ticket! :slight_smile:

Oh, I get tired, Tom, so I have to work on finding my motivation… It doesn’t come naturally to me. I often take big breaks from exercising, and often do so much for my family that I forget to get some me time in, as well… When I have someone to do these things with me, I can focus more on them… but you know, my husband is no big exerciser, so I can’t rely on him… and my best friend has a ton of kids, and a full time job, and all kinds of other stuff she takes care of after work… so when I can connect with someone via this little app, it’s kinda neat. :slight_smile:

I agree with Power Pumper.

Low or restricted carb is the only way to go and what Josilin and others like ADA are recommending is sheer madness.

The old saying is “eat to your meter” and when anyone tests themselves two hours after eating these carb heavy meals they will get a shock at the results.

Remember that your bgs should not be higher than 126 (7.0 UK) two hours after a meal. Ideally they should be around the 117 mark (6.5).

You won’t get those sort of figures with Joslin recommended diets.

Fortunately more and more diabetics are now up in arms about the flawed advice that unrefined carbs are ok and that fruits are ok. The only fruits that are absolutely safe are berries but again eat to your meter. Your meter does not lie :slight_smile:

I think that for every health application, we need to pick and choose what is going to work for us, and help us. This application, is in no way, meant to be a substitute for meeting with one’s doctor, meeting with one’s CDE, or knowing what particular personal goals work for us. Even if we just focused on low carb eating, that is going to look different for everyone… Everyone responds differently to carb intake, and it would not be very fair to make it either extreme (eat very high carb, or eat very low carb.) People in general, due to all of our physical variables, should eat by their meter, regardless. I find I do better with a semi-low carb diet, than a completely low carb diet… My body seems to want to counter-correct a lot for not having a certain minimum number of carbs a day, about a 60-100 grams a day, and if I eat less than that, then I start seeing higher morning numbers and higher fasting numbers because my liver starts dumping glucose everywhere. I think we all know that when it comes to Diabetes, our mileage will always vary. Heck, even when it comes to other aspects of things we can’t demand things be done one specific way. People will have different needs when it comes to exercise, salt intake, fat intake, heck, even being able to eat some foods at all (Celiac’s Disease, or lactose intolerance). This doesn’t mean the app is promoting people eat more foods that are bad for them. That’s why the challenges are pick and choose. As for me, I may cut back on the amount of carbs I have of something, particularly at breakfast… but I don’t exclude anything. At all. If I can have 7 grams of a wasa cracker, and get my fiber and grains from it, I will. It is truly eating too much of something that is the evil, not the something itself. People lose perspective on that a lot, and start categorizing foods as good or evil. Now, I don’t think fat is bad, at all… saturated or not… but I may want to eat more Omega’s to raise my HDL… so I may do that challenge. My HDL has NOT risen with a low carb diet. Does that mean I’m gonna become a low fat freak? No. Just take what you can out of the challenges… really. We would need 15,216 different applications if we had to make them all custom to everyone’s needs.

Frank, Power Pumper,
I thought it would be useful to get input from Joslin on this discussion. Here is a comment from Amy Campbell, MS, RD, LDN, CDE, a nutritionist at Joslin and co-author of 16 Myths of a Diabetic Diet.

There’s a misconception in the diabetes world that carbs are somehow “bad.” The reality is that some carbs are healthier than others, and those are the carbs that are unrefined, or unprocessed. Whole grains are unrefined carbs and have a lot to offer in terms of health and nutrition, such as:
• Preventing diabetes. Women who ate 2-3 servings of whole grains daily were 30% less likely to develop diabetes.
• Preventing heart disease. People who eat 2-3 servings of whole grains daily have a lower risk of dying from heart disease.
• Preventing cancer. Men and women who eat whole grains are less likely to have colorectal cancer.
• Preventing digestion problems. Whole-grain eaters are less likely to have constipation and diverticulosis.
• Preventing obesity. Eating whole grains is linked with a lower BMI, lower waist circumference and lower body fat percentage.
• Helping with blood glucose control. Whole grains have a lower glycemic index than more refined carbs, such as white bread, white rice and white pasta, helping to prevent a “spike” in glucose after eating.
• Overall health. Whole grains are a source of B vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients needed for good health.

Yes, whole grains contain carbohydrate, which means that portion control is important (as with most foods). Regarding the link between type 1 diabetes and celiac disease: eating wheat, such as whole wheat bread, for example, does not cause celiac disease. Celiac is an autoimmune condition. And if one does have celiac, there are still plenty of gluten-free whole grains to choose from, such as brown rice, wild rice, amaranth, tef, millet and quinoa.

As far as saturated fat goes, there is evidence that eating saturated fat raises blood LDL cholesterol. We know that a high LDL cholesterol is linked with an increased risk of heart disease. On the flip side, a diet consisting of heart healthy fats, such as olive oil and canola oil, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy, and small amounts of lean animal protein can lower the risk of heart disease, some types of cancer and perhaps even type 2 diabetes.

And as a dietitian who has been at Joslin Diabetes Center for 15 years, I can say first hand that we are not “carb pushers.” Each person who comes to Joslin receives an individualized diabetes treatment plan, based on their own unique needs, lifestyle and food preferences. However, I’m happy to hear that you’ve found an eating plan that works for you and this goes to show that everyone is different and that no one approach to diabetes will work for everyone.

It seems to me that the most important point she makes here is in the last paragraph. This is something that has been discussed at length here in TuDiabetes and elsewhere in the DOC: your diabetes may vary and what works for someone will not necessarily work the same way for everyone. If something is working for you, great: if it ain’t broken, why fix it. Now, it may not work for everyone… if not because it’s not a good alternative, perhaps because not everyone are able to tackle the same situation in the same way.

That is great, Alan.

Actually local farmer’s markets are the way to go!

Add me to the list. Low carb greatly improved my lipid profile & my daily control. I eat a lot of fat, much of which is saturated. My PCP nearly fell over when I denied that not being on a low-fat diet helped tremendously.

I feel depressed reading the statements from Joslin.

Fiber, which is credited with the positive health results Amy lists, can easily be obtained from vegetables, nuts, seeds & nut flours. These foods have a far better nutritional profile than grain, healthy omega fats (nuts & seeds) & lots of fiber without the carb impact. Sad that we’ve been brainwashed that we must eat grains. Nonsense.

Also depressing that Amy cites canola as a heart healthy fat. It’s one of the worst oils to use.

From research I’ve done, the studies done to determine gylcemic index used non-diabetic subjects. GI has become the new trend.

Gerri,
Not in vain you won the “Good Eating Fan” TuDiabetes Award of 2009 and you walk the talk with great diabetes control.

I have shared your comments with Joslin, to see what they may have to add to the topic.

I think something really good will come out of this.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Manny,

It’s a heavy award to shoulder:)

Thanks for sharing with Joslin.

Well, I have to say that, after looking through healthseekergame on FB myself, I am amazed that people spent real dollars that could be used on research to help find better treatment options or a cure on such trivial & misleading public education.

First, much of the “information” contained in here is false - particularly the “dietary fat myth” & the “whole grains are good for you” points. The science & nutritional data does not support the dietary fat myth. And, for most PWD, whole grains can cause at least as high a BG spike, if not higher, than other grains.

More important, when people are spoon-fed this information drivel, they do not really research or test what works for themselves.

Real whole food, minimally processed, locally & organically grown whenever possible, is the path to good health for most of us, diabetic or not.

I love FB & use it extensively, but can see no benefit to this game, & much that can be detrimental. I actually think that it would be wonderful if we could look to our health care providers and our government agencies like the USDA & FDA to provide sound nutritional guidance, but sadly, we cannot.

I totally agree with you, PowerPumper.