New diabetic

Down the road a c-peptide and antibody testing may be warranted, but the doctor is unlikely to have ordered those during the initial appointment, and ordering them really depends on how she's presenting (including the results of the tests that were ordered), which we really don't know at this point.

Thanks I wrote those down to ask about tomorrow.

I'v seen that kindle book on Amazon. If I'm put on insulin I'll get it.

Wow, what an interesting thread. I'm glad to see how you're responding to the information and that the semester situation gives you time to work to get control of diabetes which, may help provide you with leverage in your conversations with your parents as, if you can do it, and it sounds like you are smart enough to do so, perhaps they will be more willing to listen to your opinions in terms of life planning more readily? Or not.

I'm not sure I'd agree about what testing is or isn't done in Japan as I haven't run into that many folks there here. Maybe they do things a bit differently to save the tedious step of going back and forth to multiple doctors.

Melitta, another member here, has a great blog that lays out an approach you might be able to suggest to the doctors you end up with although the problem might be that they may have their own manual and may or may not see there as being a problem. A lot of times, people who are not small children who present with some type of BG issue can be automatically tossed into a T2 diagnosis with a "try Metformin for 6 months and we can see what happens and talk about it then..." which is a pretty long time to wait if it doesn't work and you don't feel very well.

Here's a link to the paper: "The Patient-Centered Approach for the Person with Adult-Onset Type 1 Diabetes", which includes a sizeable section about the importance of identifying the type correctly and tests that will nail the diagnosis down more clearly. It seems odd that a GP/ OBGyn or whatever would think that it was no immediate danger if T1 was jumping out but I think that medical science has reached a point where people can be identified as having some sort of BG issue earlier than before. At least one of my local buddies has a son who had something else and they caught his T1 pretty early, without the ghastly weight loss and sort of rotting that some of us DXed back in the good old days (1984...) experienced.

I saw your questions about the pump and the doc and all of my docs recommended it for years before I got it but I was pretty much allowed to make my own decisions. As a minor (if that's the case...) it may actually fall upon your parents to make decisions so I hope they are able to get engaged with the situation.

I might have to cancel or postpone my hospital appointment tomorrow.

The reason I went to the doctor in the first place was because I had to pee so often with a lot of pain and burning when I went. The doctor said it was a UTI and gave me Trimethoprim to take at home. She said I should be improved in 3-4 days. I’m really not improved, I still have to go every hour or less and the pain when I go is worse. I could never make it on the train without going and even in a car it will take 1 ½ to 2 hours during rush hour. I couldn't count on places to stop and go and I would just die if I peed my pants. The outpatient clinic where I was treated is closed on weekends except for emergencies. I think I should get in treatment as soon as possible or would it be ok to postpone? I could call and get my test results if I postpone.

I asked my parents what I should do. They both agreed I should make the appointment. Mom said she would drive me and I could ride in the back seat and go in a bottle (or something) if I had to. That idea shocked me, but it might be the only way.

Yikes!! That sounds scary! It also sounds more like the classical presentation of T1, which is even more horrible with a UTI.

Which sort of doc were you seeing tomorrow? A GP or an Endo or some other flavor of doc? I've tried to keep things on a leash but I hear you about the having to go that often. I threw up before I went to the doc but once I did, I felt better very quickly once I got started on insulin.

Imo they should be done on everyone with a D diagnosis as soon as possible- there is a cheaper c peptide test that is in development which was mentioned here a few months ago. My doctor did c peptide right away, but not antibody tests- I was already in dka then and should have been hospitalized that day. Antibody testing was done while I was in the icu. @madison I would discuss this with your parents and ask to have all of this testing done as soon as possible if it hasn't been done.

There may be a silver lining in this and that is your mother driving you to your appointment and staying with you. Then, whatever comes of your tests, she too will hear it and learn some things. If you can overcome the possible embarrassment of peeing in a bottle or other container, it may be a good thing. If your doctor ordered several vials of blood, it's also possible that the right tests were ordered, and you will get the proper diagnosis. I will keep you in my heart in all of this.

UTI's are awful and so, so feel your pain. And yes, you "should" be feeling better with that by now, so something is definitely up.

There is insurance that I think is called USAA or something similar. If that is what you have, then you will be very lucky, because they are wonderful to work with.
Big hug and gassho

UTIs suck. Try drinking a bunch of cranberry juice - but not the sugar kind, the diet kind. Thats the only thing that will help without antibiotics. Its not gonna get any better. Drink a bunch of water, if nothing else. Maybe a warm bath. Try to keep the appointment. Go to ER for antibiotics if you have to, in order to keep this appointment. UTIs are really painful sometimes. Keep on, kid. I hope this is all over soon.

I agree...an accurate diagnosis asap is important. Both c peptide and antibody ...

I'm in the hospital and will be here at least a week. They say I have a kidney infection and have me on an IV with antibiotics for 7 days. We left early last night and when we got here at 4:30 AM my temperature was 104. They have been testing my blood glucose and giving me insulin, 2 different kinds. One is Insulin glargine, the other is Insulin lispro. I've tried to look them up but bad internet connection.

They haven't started teaching me anything about diabetes, they act like the kidney infection is more important. They put a tube in my bladder so I don't have to go to the restroom, it hurt like crazy putting it in but now I don't have to get up.

The internet connection is bad here, it keeps cutting out and it took a long time to get on at all. I brought my dads old laptop, mine was at school. If I can get another connection I'll post again later.

HI madison,
wow, dramatic entrance there!
the glargine is a long acting insulin and the brand name is lantus. it is one of the two analogues that are used to maintain homeostasis. this type of insulin is usually not used to control sugars from what you eat. it works for a long time, so t1s or t2s that take insulin usually take one dose once a day and its released slowly over about 24 hours.
you can read about it here: www.lantus.com

insulin lispro is a short acting insulin. it is what is used so that we can eat carbs and have our blood sugar stay stable. it is what you would inject before eating and if your blood sugar is high during the day and needs correcting. it works quickly so we inject and then eat maybe 20 minutes later. some people a bit sooner, some a bit later, everyone is a bit different. there are three big brands and theyre all quite similar in their speed and dosing. lispro´s brand name is humalog. www.drugs.com/humalog.html

infections can make blood sugar control difficult-they can make your blood sugar high, even if youre not eating or drinking, so your doctors are taking care of the high bg (blood sugar) with the two insulins. they will see it as very important to get rid of that infection. once they do get that cleared, theyll be able to focus 100% on your diagnosis of and diabetes.

i hope you are feeling better soon!

In some odd way, this may actually be a helpful way to get diagnosed, because they can stabilize your sugars in the hospital, do any needed labs, and hopefully teach you about self management before you get discharged. But it must be stressful, too! Hang in there, it gets better, and easier.

A nurse comes around every hour and tests my blood. The last test was 98, that's the first one I've seen under 100. I like their meter, it is a StatStrip. I would like to get one like that.

My Mom surprised me, she is staying in a hotel near the hospital so she can visit me often. I didn't expect it but I'm glad she will be here.

The nurse just came in and said they were changing my antibiotic based on urine cultures, whatever that means. I asked her if that meant I would get out of here sooner, she said maybe. Every time they test my blood or give me a insulin shot, the nurse asks me if I want to do it myself. I always say no, I'm not ready for that yet. Poking my finger hurts the most. Nurse don't use a device to do it, just a little sharp thing, I can't even watch.

I'm glad to hear your mom is sticking nearby. When I was diagnosed, I spent a week in the hospital as well. I was only 6. I wouldn't let them leave me there alone. My parents alternated staying with me all day and night.

What they meant when they told you they were switching your antibiotic based on urine cultures is that they tested the urine, and most likely identified the infection type. Based on that, they determined the medication they had you on was not the most effective to treat the specific infection that you have, so they switched to a better choice in medication.

You will find a couple of things over time with the finger sticks. First, when I go to the doctor, I don't let them stick me anymore. I do it for them, with my own finger stick pen. It has adjustable depth, which I have set deep enough to get blood, but shallow enough not the hurt much. Nurses also tend to press too hard on the finger to stick. I can't fault them for this, every one is different. Some people need to press harder to get through tougher skin. By me doing it myself, I only press as hard as I need to, and it doesn't hurt.

You'll also find that as you stick your fingers, they may callous a bit, and over time, you will feel it less and less even when you do it yourself.

Hang in there and keep us posted on what's going on.

If you need to research the drugs, ask the nurses is they have a copy of a Physicians Desk Reference that you can borrow....someone ought to have one laying around. That will have all the drugs and its pretty concise, although it might test your Japanese, if your not super fluent in your medical terminology. Best of luck, kiddo.

That hurts more than using a pen-poker. Pens are inexpensive. I just bought one at Walgreens for $5.00. Do they sell those at the drug store in Japan? Maybe your mom could pick one up, if they do.

A doctor just told me I am a type 1. He based this on previous test results and tests done since I got here. He said they were doing antibody tests to prove I am a type 1 but he is already 99% sure I am. Then he told me the bad news, this hospital has no Diabetes self-management training program for training new type 1 diabetics. The hospital is principle for active duty military personnel, dependents are secondary. I am the only new type 1 he has seen since he’s been here. He said there are people that will answer any questions I might have and help in any way they can but I would be better off going to the US until I became confident and proficient in caring for myself. Since I don’t want go back, I’ll just have to get my training through books and the internet.

He brought me a Contour Next EZ glucose meter and 100 strips. He said that other brands of meters were covered by tricare but this was the only one they had in stock. A nurse is going to show me how to use it this afternoon. I’ll be reading the manual that came with the kit.

A different doctor told me I was responding well to treatment for the kidney infection, my temperature is down and I might be sent home early with oral antibiotics.

Since the internet is so unreliable, I’m writing this offline and will upload it when and if I can get on.

If you presented with very high blood sugars, and perhaps ketones, that would suggest a Type 1 diagnosis, though the antibody tests will help clarify the picture. You should still be able to get your actual lab results, have you asked for them?

Someone needs to teach you carb counting, insulin administration, treating lows, etc. You certainly don't need to come to the US for that, should be readily available in Japan, and it's a bit hard to imagine there isn't diabetes expertise within the military medical system there. Trying to do this completely on your own seems like a stretch to me.

So glad you are responding well to the infection treatment.
There must be students at your school who have diabetes. Wondering if you could talk to the head of your school about that, and attempt to form a local support group among your peers. Just a thought.
It does seem you are holding up pretty well, and continue to seek out ways to get what you need. Perhaps the teens here could point you toward some YouTube videos?
Hugs and love.