New Diabetic

I have been told in the last 10 years that my sugar was borderline and to keep and eye on that. Just recently the VA has become my health provider and my doctor made no bones about it. “You are a full blown diabetic”. WOW! that got my attention.

My weight at the time was 227 and being 6 feet tall was mostly around the middle. I had never been big on exercise and flat didn't care for it much. So I began to do some reading to see what I needed to do to turn my life around. I'm 63 now but wasn't exactly excited about ending everything so soon. :-)

I met with 5 other couples with the dietitian at the VA that taught us a diet we could live with. Not a strick plan but a formular for success. My wife and I began right away to change our life style. We both began to record everything we put in ou mouths and especially watching the carbs and sugars etc. We have found good food that is good for us and we really enjoy.

I began to walk just a little telling myself that if I could get to a mile a day it would be a good thing. My wife Claudia wanted to walk with me so out we went. She works and since the time change and the early darkness I meet her at the local Mall and we walk the outside of the mall together. It's exactly a mile around it. I walk 2.5 miles in the mornings and another 2 to 2.5 with her at night. I have lost 30 pounds so far and look and feel better than I have in a long time.

Diabetes has been the awaking that I needed to make my life better. It's not a diet it's a lifestyle for us now. We're setting this morning planning out our meals for next week. They all are so good we look forward to them.

I'm glad I found this site and look forward to hearing from all of you and reading your blogs as well.

Don’t forget the Big Blue test today.

Welcome to the site and the company of diabetics. You are starting out great and need to hang in there and never give up. All the best from another veteran - an old one.

Welcome to our big family!

Thirty lbs–congratulations. Wonderful!

I was 230 at 5’ 7", and I lost a lot of weight before diagnosis. Take it one step at a time, and keep up the walking. Soon you will be motoring everywhere! I once heard that it took a long time to put it on, so it takes a while to take it off. Good luck to you, and welcome to the new life!

Great job !!! You have the right attitude to succeed in staying healthy with D.