New here and confused. LADA at 22

I’ve been doing a CGM for diagnostic purposes for the last week and am new to this. I am waking up with a fasting glucose consistently in the 160’s to 180’s. I’ve gone over 200, tested positive for trace keytones and what confuses me is I’m having moments where I drop to the 50’s. I don’t feel it though. It’s been scary because by the time I even think to check my level I have a hard time functioning enough to do so. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Does this actually sound like LADA? If so when would they start treating this, and how? Any advice or similar stories please?

I don’t have a CGM but I have read they are less accurate then a finger prick. I’ve also seen people report that if they are resting on the CGM sensor it can cause false low reads.

For the fasting glucose my understanding is for a non-pump person the basal (slow releases) insulin is how you adjust your fasting (wake up) glucose.

You might want to slowly raise your basal over a few days to see how it affects your fasting glucose.

I’ve never had ketones with a blood sugar in the 150-200 range. My understanding is you get keynotes when the body does not have enough carbs or insulin to use the carbs. It then uses fats and ketones are a bi-product of using fats.

It would probably help others better answer you if you can provide more details. What type/amount of medications your taking. Do you still have native insulin production etc…

My blood sugar was much higher when I did the keytone test. I ended up getting sent to the ER by urgent care. Then they referred me to an endo. I am not taking anything for blood sugar currently because I haven’t seen him yet. This is all really recent.
Is that fasting glucose pretty high? I really don’t understand anything that’s going on. I also have lupus so my rheum is worried that could complicate things. Especially being on immunosuppressive medication.

For a non-diabetic fasting glucose should be 80-100. Anything more then that is considered pre-diabetes or diabetes.

If you don’t currently have any treatment, (oral or insulin) I would suggest eating as few carbs as you can until you get to see your endo. When I first was diagnosed by my primary care doctor I was only given a long acting basal insulin. If I wanted to get my sugar down I would drink a liter of water and walk a half or whole mile. It took about 2 weeks to get an endo appointment where they then gave me a fast acting insulin to start taking with meals.

If you have ketones in your urine you need to be on the lookout for diabetic ketoacidosis. The day they told me I I was diabetic I had a blood sugar of 325 and A1C 13%. That day I tested for ketones and did have a low reading. Over the next 24 hours with reduced carbs and more water/walking the ketones went away for me. This really only worked because my body still produces some insulin (for now).

Please read the symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis. If you have more then a very low amount of ketones and start feeling sick as the symptoms describe you need to get to an ER. It is a serious situation that requires help to resolve.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20371551

There is a condition called “reactive hypoglycemia.” I and many others experienced this before we were diagnosed with diabetes.

The sequence of events often goes like this: eating a high carbohydrate breakfast like cereal followed by an elevated blood sugar that is not usually felt. An impaired pancreas trying as hard as it can to metabolize the high blood sugar finally over-reacts and gives too much insulin. This drives the blood glucose hypo and symptoms include confused thinking, irritation, and sweating. Eating something sugary relieves the hypo symptoms.

This may or may not be what’s happening to you, but it is possible.