New (here - and to Diabetes...)

Hi there. I’m new here, and I just wanted to introduce myself.

About 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS and Diabetes (type 2). My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year, and after this diagnosis I was told that I couldn’t proceed with fertility treatment until I brought my A1C down. It was 8.6 at first diagnosis. I immediately sought the advice of a nutritionist, and in August I was able to bring it down to 6.4.

I’m having a LOT of feelings about this all:

1. I went kind of extreme in my diet. It’s VERY low carb - I don’t eat any refined sugar or any grain. This week I tested quinoa and 2 hours after my meal my bg was still at 140. It’s been really tough, and it makes me feel like - well, the only thing keeping me in check is this crazy diet plan. That metformin and glipizide aren’t enough if I want to eat like a normal human being. I’m not talking about cake, I’m talking about freaking quinoa. I feel totally food obsessed, and it sucks.
  2. I feel so much shame. I’ve been fat for basically my entire life, and I spent YEARS trying to love my body. I take care of it, which many people assume otherwise (because obvious fat = lazy). But I’ve run 3 half marathons. I do yoga and zumba and weight lifting already. I’ve always cared about eating healthful, nutritious foods. Only now I do all of that to the extreme. And somehow, I still feel ashamed that this has happened. So much of the public discourse around obesity says “you better drop some pounds, or you’ll get diabetes.” And, well, now I have diabetes. I don’t think it’s my fault, exactly, because PCOS is also insulin resistant, so clearly there is an underlying issues there. I am just really struggling to love myself these days.
  3. I’m allowed to proceed with fertility treatment - yay! But my endo informed me that I will definitely have to start insulin during pregnancy, since most pregnant women increase insulin production by up to 100 times during pregnancy. I feel totally defeated by this, and really terrified. I know that after a pregnancy, there are other medications I could try (that are contraindicated for pregnancy), so it’s not a forever thing. This seems so freaking scary to me.

Anyways, I just spilled my guts. I’m not sure what I’m looking for, exactly - just, maybe, some people to talk to.

2 Likes

Welcome, and don’t worry. You are not alone in your frustration. PCOS and diabetes tend to go hand in hand, and both of them can make it very easy to gain weight and very difficult to lose.

Everything you are going through now and are looking forward to in the near future is very scary, but don’t give in or give up! It’s difficult but controllable.

Good luck to you. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words! I’m glad I found this forum, and I’m really hoping to learn a lot. Knowledge is power, right?

1 Like

Hi,

Welcome. You are not alone.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroid and finally early in my first pregnancy diabetes.
Make sure they check you for hypothyroid. It can affect trying to have a baby. Hypothyroid and diabetes (and PCOS) often coexist.

Do not be scared of insulin. It is wonderful to have the tool you need to control blood sugar well. I hate having diabetes, but I love insulin. It allows me to live my life (yes mostly low carb) and if I do splurge occasionally I can do something about it. I would recommend you talk to your endo about starting insulin even in the lead up to getting pregnant (you can use this time to learn how to use it and get comfortable with it).

I have always struggled with weight my whole life. I am only overweight… but yes, people do look at you and think “if she lost weight, then she wouldn’t have diabetes”… but it is never that simple… and it just aint true that it is your fault. But what is your responsibility is to work out how to manage it well (with this body that you were given)…

I used Dr. Richard Bernstein’s “Diabetes Solution” as my bible. And it got me safely through 2 pregnancies with 2 healthy daughters (and through a few miscarriages ugh)… and still trying again now… if my old body will let it happen.

Ask lots of questions. YOu will learn heaps.

1 Like

Feeling anxious? Stressed? Fearful? I think this is totally normal for someone recently diagnosed. Clearly, you are adapting & learning & starting to succeed in living well with diabetes!
Keep trying new things with food, cooking & fitness. The dietary changes will eventually start to feel normal(ish).
This summer, after 5 years, I started on insulin.It has been an easy & effective addition to my self-care.
Be well!

welcome to the family. and please join us tomorrow for this event
http://www.tudiabetes.org/event/live-interview-with-susan-guzman-type-2-diabetes-addressing-shame-and-stigma/

it’s at 1pm Pacific time, 4 pm eastern. if you can’t make it, and have a question, let me know and I’ll make sure @EmilyC asks it. all our interviews are recorded for later watching.

I don’t think I can make that time, but will absolutely plan to watch later. Thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

Thank you, thank you! I think I will talk to the endo about insulin again, especially since it seems like I will need it during pregnancy (I mean - if/when I get there). I’ve read a little about Dr. Bernstein’s book - I think I will pick it up.

I think I will take you up on it being my responsibility to figure out how to manage it. I feel reluctant, because I want things to go back to how they used to be, But you are right, it’s all I can do now.

I hope you become pregnant soon :smile:

Thanks so much@Deborah3! I appreciate the welcome.

I was diagnosed T2 a little less than 3.5 years ago. 3 years ago, I started using insulin because the oral meds and I did not get along well. I was (and still am!) afraid of needles, but the fear of the side effects I had from orals was worse. I have managed pretty well with insulin and do not regret the switch.

As far as the guilt goes… I have struggled with my weight on and off most of my life; however, I did finally manage to get my weight under great control and was quit active… and THEN I was diagnosed with diabetes. In my case, weight loss did not help me avoid diabetes. Everyone is different, of course, but my experience makes me certain that “lose weight” is not always the answer – and guilt feelings are certainly not necessary.

1 Like

That’s really interesting, @Thas. It’s always seemed to me that - well, bodies are just SO complex, and there are so many forces at work. I highly doubt that it is as simple as weight = diabetes. Though I also don’t doubt that there are correlations. I think that old adage “correlation does not equal causation” is a good one!

2 Likes

Welcome to the family. There is no shame in diabetes only happiness because you made it another day on the Diabetes Pain Train. I have been diabetic for 14 years and i have been on the mountain and I have been in the valley and I stopped fighting it and just accepted that this is the way it’s going to be and now I’m doing great. I wish you well on your journey.

welcome to tud, i love it here, hope u do to,.