New HHS nominee fleeced diabetics

NO politics and most definitely not from a politician. That would be GREAT. Thanks!

Whether you are a Left diabetic or a Right diabetic this will effect you, like it or notā€¦ Time to hike our boots up and be big-boy/girl diabeticsā€¦ This is about diabetes no matter who wrote the articleā€¦ LOL

3 Likes

Huh?

A noble goalā€”or a cop out? I donā€™t see how some politics canā€™t be involvedā€¦Politics will determine how much insulin you can afford, sooner or laterā€¦

1 Like

Well since I initially stuck my neck out objecting to the Daily Kos link and the ā€œresistanceā€ styled comment, seems like I should explain myself. Of course there are some political happenings that might affect us positively or negatively but I objected to political posts that are trying to get people riled up about who the HHS nominee is, who the President is, etc. I choose not to participate in that ā€œgetting riled upā€ as I call it because I donā€™t believe those types of posts create a welcoming online community. I think they create anger, division not unity of purpose. I also think many of the positions taken on what I call WA DC politics are driven by the tribal appeal of hating ā€œthe other side.ā€ And the politicians/interest groups know this and cynically promote it.

PS I will assume that you were not calling me a cop out. Youā€™re welcome.

2 Likes

Of course not, my dear!

The 325% increase refers to Humulin R U-500. Who uses that?

That insulin likely reflects the outrageous price increase of many insulin formulations over the years. Humalog has had a similar price trajectory.

i do and many others im sure

Hereā€™s a chart showing price increases for Lantus and Levimir. Notice how when one goes up the other does too. Coincidence or evidence that this is not a free market?

3 Likes

The Political Attacks continue unabated, most often with twisted/partial facts and unproven accusations.
Skeptical enough just reading the 1st paragraph. Then at end of the article ā€œThe price for one of Eli Lillyā€™s insulin drugs, Humulin R U-500, rose 325 percent in price from 2010 to 2015. Insulin. A drug that has been in use for nearly 100 years.ā€

1. So what did previous administrations do to keep retail prices at reasonable inflation? In fact why have they allowed ALL health expenses to increase at rates far exceeding inflation and income rates? Didnā€™t Lilly admin do their jobs keeping the company profitable - supposedly to fund new research?
  2. ā€˜Humulinā€™ and ā€˜in use for 100 YEARSā€™ - as presented is very misleading.
    2a) 1921 - Animal Insulin discovered and animal extracts transferred to diabetic mammals.
    2b) (shortly afterwards) Eli Lilly began producing insulin from animal pancreas but fell short of the demand, and the potency varied up to 25% per lot. The development of an isoelectric precipitation method led to a purer and more potent animal insulin, decreasing the variation between lots to 10%.
    2c) In 1982, the first insulin utilizing rDNA technology, HumulinĀ® R (rapid) and N (NPH, intermediate-acting), were marketed.
    I certainly agree that after 35 years on the market, there is no reason that Humulin should carry a retail price in excess of $100 per vial (I think it was around $100+ even in 2010). Thankfully, Novolin is available at $25 per vial (or has it gone up in the past couple years?).

I stand corrected. If I had seen it somewhere else I would have posted from that site because I knew full well the consequences of quoting Kos.

I well tell this story, and any one is free to judge. I learned about diabetes because , thru the ACA , the GP I went to for a ankle sprain ordered my first blood test in my life. Why? Because the ACA paid for it and he probably was churning my bill for a little extra revenue. I had no symptoms. So thanks to ACA I learned about my diabetes in time to do something about it.

The tax vote harms the health care in more ways than just the repeal of the ACA mandate. The debt and deficit , in the long term, will force reductions to funding for MC/MC. That is the only money large enough to touch the deficit. And Ryan and other Rā€™s having been saying that for a long time,
In additon, the eleimation of the tax dedcution will affect many people now. the amount of dollars saved by taxpayers thanks to this deduction is , according to AARP:

AARP reports for 2015 that 8.8 million householdsā€”about 30 million Americans or nearly 1 out of 10 citizensā€”itemize medical care costs totaling $86.7 billion in expenditures (3.5 percent of total U.S. health care expenditures), reducing their tax burden by as much as $22 billion a year (0.6 percent of total annual federal tax collections). These 8.8 million households, if taxed fully on their medical expenses, would contribute as much as 15 percent of the $150 billion a year

We got to the Senate on repeal and replace and stopped the vote. The tax vote will come up this week.

After everything I have said, feel free to call Congress and tell them you want the tax cut and its long term consequences, or tell them the opposite. But as recently proven on the repeal and replace vote, the Senate listens to your phone calls.

Is MC/MC, Medicare, Medicaid? I have read the same analysis and Social Security is also mentioned. The idea is that Americans will never politically accept cuts to Medicare and Social Security absent a real financial crisis. Many people conclude that the Republican tax cut plan will drive our economy into that crisis. I will be calling my two senatorsā€™ offices this week, even though, as Democrats I count them as ā€œnoā€ votes on this bill. We mustnā€™t let the scandal de jour distract us from this proposed legislation and the nasty long-term consequences it will exact.

1 Like

mc/mcā€¦yes i did
i called my 2 senators and several that arenā€™t mine

1 Like

here it goes , the ink isnā€™t even dry on the bill

marco rubio:

ā€œWe donā€™t need to reduce benefits on current retirees or even near-term retirees, but we can make changes for future generations such as mine, and do so in a way that people can prepare for, so the changes will barely be felt,ā€ Rubio said. [ā€¦]

state insurors , when asked about repeal of ACA mandates in Senate bill

Alaska:ā€œIn 2014 there were five carriers in the marketā€”now there is only oneā€¦ We continue to advocate on behalf of our customers to state and federal policy makers the importance of creating incentives for people to purchase coverage. We believe this will create a more balanced risk pool and help strengthen the overall market.ā€

very red nebraska:

We understand Congress is once again discussing the elimination of the mandate but, honestly, we will wait and see what they do before we start to speculate on the impact. However, we would like the mandate to stay in place. It goes hand and hand with the idea of guaranteed coverage and getting more people into the risk pool.ā€

redder than red oklahoma:

One of the most important factors for this market to work for all of our members is having the broadest participation possible. Broad and consistent participation in the individual market helps spread the cost of those individuals with high medical needs, which in turn helps stabilize premiumsā€¦ If the penalties associated with the individual mandate are eliminated, then additional reforms are necessary to make coverage more affordable and to encourage individual to maintain continuous coverage.ā€

blue cross , blue shield of dripping red Wyoming

Weā€™re a Wyoming-grown notā€“for-profit company and we see ourselves as part of the fabric of this state. We plan to continue participating in the Marketplace in order to serve Wyoming residents, although we recognize the significant impact that repeal of the mandate may have on premium rates in the coming years.ā€

1 Like

The ā€œlikeā€ is for you and this clear description to help folks sort it out!..