New Kind of Weird Feeling

Hello All! Thank you for your time.
I am dx’s Type 2 and struggling to get my numbers down. For the last several weeks, my numbers have fluxed between 350 and 498. I have really been trying to think about the best way to describe this new weird feeling I’m experiencing. The closest thing I can come up with is to say, I feel as if I’m running a fever but I’m not. It’s as if my everything just beneath my skin feels really sensitive and almost hurts but not really. This also primarily applies to my upper body. It’s sort of even out of body-ish.
I don’t know if it’s related to diabetes but felt desperate to reach out and see if anyone else has experienced such a thing and how they handled it.
Thanks!

1 Like

Can’t say for sure but getting those numbers down is a good start… you are not going to feel good with BG that high…
If doctor has you on meds, seems like they are not working, I would call doctor and see if you can get in to see them.

4 Likes

I know DKA is much rarer in T2s, but if you’re that high and T2, is checking for ketones important? A T1 would absolutely need to be monitoring ketones with blood sugars like that and have to go to the ER if they were elevated (it can be very dangerous and requires IV insulin, fluids, etc). If you’re suddenly feeling much worst/weird, I’d be particularly concerned… You can buy ketone strips (urine dip sticks) over the counter at a pharmacy, so may be worth doing just to be safe… also, you can ask someone else check to see if your breath or body smells at all fruity (an indicator of ketones). Honestly, if a T1 said the things you did, I’d be tempted to tell them to go to urgent care or the ER ASAP if they couldn’t check ketones right away, but again, not sure whether that applies to T2.

3 Likes

If thats your blood sugar lvls you need to go see a doctor soon. What ever you are doing isn’t working at all. Once you get your sugars under control then see if you are feeling the same things.

2 Likes

I’m a type 1, but I think you need to understand that those numbers are not remotely normal and it’s not surprising you don’t feel right. Those numbers are not just a little on the high side, they are dangerously high. I hope you’re able to get some help soon!

3 Likes

There is a direct correlation between how you feel and what your numbers are. I don’t feel normal as soon as I start approaching 180 or higher (and sometimes even less than that if I am rising fast), and the only way I handle it is to bring my blood sugar down as soon as possible with insulin.

3 Likes

Suggest you immediately go to the doctor. I was at high numbers like that last year as I had gone off medication. I tried to control with diet and exercise and numbers crept up after Invokana stopped working. Your internal organs can be permanently damaged from those high numbers! I felt tired and hungry and after getting numbers into control better, not perfect at 8 A1C now, I feel much better. Take Care!!

2 Likes

Okay. I can’t believe nobody is willing to say this quite this way…Your numbers are Life-threatening. They need to come down Fast and Now…First step—get rid of as many carbs as you can, as fast as you can…

Yeah, you want to connect with Dr Bernstein’s Very Low Carb Way of eating…

BUT that doesn’t need to happen all at once. There are now a gazillion websites to offer you advice on how to do this safely and rationally…

To begin with: cut out the bread and the pasta…Lots of lower carb alternatives are available that will still allow you the option of Yummy Sauces and butter and nut butters…I use 4-carb yummy pitas made with flax and stone ground wheat. Great for sandwiches and toast accompaniments for breakfast–with lots of butter. Etc…

Cookies and cakes----Eat them, but look for the adaptations that use yummy Nut flours and sugar substitutes…From “sugar cookies” to cheese cake made with a ground pecan crust. There is no sense of deprivation…

I am T2 for a decade with no meds YET, because I eat no more than 25-35 carbs per day…Too many carbs will speed up our deaths.

You cannot sustain those numbers…Talk to your doctor. Talk to us. Analyze—in a daily food journal…what you eat, when you eat it, and how much exercise you get in relation to the food. And just what each “bite” does to one’s blood sugar. So that journal needs to include many testings a day!..

Start down this path—one baby step at a time----and you will indeed Live Long and Prosper!!!..Blessings, sweetie. We are rooting for you. Please keep us posted and let us support your efforts-----Really----we ALL believe that baby steps are how it usually has to happen AND we understand that that is Okay!..

All bright blessings of the universe to you. We are so very glad that you are here!..Lots of love and hugs…xx000…Judith in Portland…

8 Likes

I agree Judith and as we have not heard back from OP, I hope she is OK.

3 Likes

Just piling on and joining the chorus . . . those numbers are far too high for comfort or safety. Translation: with numbers like that you’re going to feel lousy and run the risk of catastrophe. Whatever it takes to get them down, including diet, medication, medical care . . . do it. Sooner, not later.

3 Likes

Many thanks to each of you who took time out of your day to “talk” to me. I went ahead and made a trip to ER where they did the standard labs, EKG, gave me fluids, and insulin. I must have been crazy dehydrated based on how amazing the IV fluids made me feel. They were able to rule out DKA. The insulin and fluids brought me down from 498 to 328. I’m also seeing going for fasting lab work in the morning.

I have taken every word you said to heart (especially you Judith).

I am looking forward to pouring over this website and making you all my second family. I think it will make a big difference have a network of people who understand.

Thank you again - having you as a sounding board yesterday made a HUGE difference!

5 Likes

Good luck and hopefully you will get down to around 100 soon! It’s all a numbers game, as a type 2 you (theoretically) have more options as to how to do it, but whether it’s through diet, exercise, pills or insulin, you have to strive to keep your blood sugars as close to normal as possible and you will feel great! One caveat though - you may feel strange as you normalize your glucose levels. You may feel like your blood sugar is low when it is not for example, but this will pass as your body re-adjusts to normal blood sugars. I remember my eyes feeling strange as well for some reason for about 2 weeks after I was first diagnosed and started taking insulin, but this went away and my vision returned to normal.

2 Likes

Judith–I think our country and world would be a better place if we all wished each other: “All bright blessings of the universe to you.”

Thanks for brightening my day. :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

4 Likes

Glad to hear it Jeanette, don’t stop at 328 either, ever 100 points lower you will feel better! You had almost everyone who commented worried!

2 Likes

I sincerely felt everyone’s concern too! That was one of the reasons why it was important to me to check back in. :sunny:

1 Like

Glad to hear you followed up and got checked out quickly. Hopefully they hook you up with and endocrinologist after. It may be good to go have a thorough eye exam done after the dust settles, the eyes are very sensitive to very high blood sugars.

1 Like

Hi Judith in Portland, this is Artwoman in Portland. Would you share the brand name of the “yummy 4 carb pits bread”? Thank you!

1 Like

Well, howdy neighbor! Yes, of course. You might be able to find them at Safeway—or an Albertson’s. But I just order them by the case online from Joseph’s Middle Eastern Bakery in MA.–Flax, Oat bran and Whole Wheat Pita Bread…It’s JosephsBakery.com I’ll see if I can insert a link. The Minis are perfect for a sandwich. The regulars work great as a roll-up. Both toast nicely. Oh and my sweetie uses them as the crust to make us yummy little pizzas…They also make a tastey Lavash of the same ingredients for larger roll-ups…

https://www.josephsbakery.com/

1 Like