New mom of a 6 year old who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes this week

Oh so sorry to hear that. Our daughter was diagnosed a month before she turned 6 and has now had it for almost 3 years… phew! And it’s so true, at the beginning everything is hard, it is hard on your child and it’s hard on you! Not to mention how over-whelming it is learning how to count carbs and check blood and give injections, all the while adjusting to this new reality and trying to rebuild your world with diabetes in it!

So I would say to just take it day by day, sometimes minute by minute and and just stay the course, and you will be surprised how quickly it just becomes a ‘normal’ part of your life. And for our daughter - the injections and blood checking was often a battle for the first 6-8 months. Mornings were better but by dinner-time she wanted none of it. We just had to be patient and understanding and kept putting ourselves into her shoes, and eventually we would get the insulin into her. Think of it as a team effort and never make it as a you vs him kind of thing. It became easier as time went by, and after a year we switched to a pump (in Ontario, in Canada, you can get government funding for a pump after a year) and the pump was definitely easier - we went from 4 injections daily to one poke when we changed her infusion site for her pump every 3 days.

I would also say to educate yourself on type 1 as much as you can. Not only will it make it not so scary - but it will also help you to deal with the people in your life who are going to confuse it with type 2 and give you a hard time… we had to educate our family a ton but it was worth it.

Lastly - it took a while but I had to get to a point where I didn’t feel sorry for my daughter… now I still do feel sorry for her of course - I just had to get a point where I wasn’t showing her that all the time. Because when I was showing it , it only made her feel sorry for herself and that wasn’t good. Now she still has her moments and that’s OK - but we face diabetes together as a challenge and that has helped her tremendously.

Find others in your area who have it, pick their brains and in no time at all you will be confident and flying!

I wish you all the best.

1 Like