New OmniPod-er

I’ve been diabetic since March, 1984 - and probably for a few months prior to that date. I was just about to re-enlist in the US Army for the 2nd time, when, during my re-enlistment physical, it was found that I had a Blood Glucose level of just below 600. Needless to say, I was medically discharged from the Army in 1985. I’ve been using Novolog and lantus for the last few years to manage my diabetes, but I was never in great coontrol. For years, my A1C was in the 9 - 10 range. Just within the last three years have I been able to get my A1C below 7.5.

I just started using the OmniPod Insulin Management System last Thursday, and my first impressions are -

1. Way Cool!! Only one needle-stick every two days, as opposed to 4-5 shots a day, which I’ve been giving myself for over 20 years. Let’s see - at 4 X day X 20 years = 29, 200 injections…

2. Love the PDM. I’m a tech-gadget freak, I love playing around with tech stuff, and this is just one morre cool toy to add to my growing list of tech-stuff. Plus, my blood-sugars have started to normalize - what’s not to love?

3. The 2nd pod I used was defective; according to the latest update info I got from Insulet. I was receiving less insulin than I was programmed to get. What a bummer!

4. No tubes! One of the reasons I never tried an insulin pump prior to the OmniPod is the fact that, basically, I’m a total clutz. If there’s a way to rip out the tubing on a normal pump, I would have found it within five minutes of starting. So, I love the tubeless feature of the pods!

5. Only major downside so far - I am your average, normal, ape-like hairy male. I am somewhat limited in the places I can put the pod - without shaving, that is. And the thought of shaving my chest/abdomen area always brings to mind the scene in the movie, “The 40 Year Old Virgin”, when he was getting his chest-hair “waxed”. Ouch! Wince!

I have been a diabetic 1 since Sept. 1971 and after many years of injections I am starting on OmniPod in Novl.
I am excited but nervous…It was good to read your blog. Cindy