New Pump User

Hi Scott_Eric,
Thanks for your reply. I will keep in mind taking a bit more (like .5-1u) when eating other things (non carbs i mean) with toast…I’ve tried what you do , take most or all of bolus up front then spread out the rest, and I’ve tried splitting the dose like 50%up front then spread out the other half, but nothing seems to ever work…And if I get any exercise at all, my sugars drop quickly…which scares me into not even doing it…I’ve been reading on other blogs the hardships of exercise and eating and doing basically anything with diabetes…Food being a big hardship, as one person said ‘it’s hard to make a game plan for food/exercise/insulin when diabetes doesn’t play FAIR and its always a different result, whether good or bad’…This makes it so hard adn frustrating and I’ve gotten to where I don’t even want to try anymore…

I’m on a tight ratio i’d say (1u:5g) and that SOMETIMES works for certain types of carbs, only if i eat like <20g, and if I don’t get any exercise, it won’t work at all it seems, and my sugars won’t budge…but if I get like more than 15-20 minutes exercise, it can go down fast, which i’ve had such problems with crashing in past taht it has caused like PTSD and I get real nervous…the dr’s say don’t take less insulin if you are getting like less than 15 mins exercise? but it seems it depends WHEN you are exercising that can make a difference…I’ve seen times where 10 minutes of sledding can drop my bs 100 pts! It’s always a constant struggle of taking not enough or too much :/…

Like you said about eating fruit, I agree where it can prob raise your bs for a short time but because it’s fruit and not that substantial, and if you bolus for it using ur regular ratio, and eat only fruit, can cause a low or crash…My old nutritionist agreed with me that we might need a different ratio if we are eating JUST one type of carb at a meal (say all bread/sweets etc, a ratio that gives more insulin, so me like 1u:5g)…then a different ratio for slower digested carbs like fruit, beans etc. starchy veg etc) and a ‘higher ratio’ like you said too? So that would mean giving LESS insulin, so say a ratio of 1u:10 g instead of 1:5g?..then she said if its mixed carbs perhaps a ratio in the middle like 1u:7g? …It’s all trial and error like you siad but so disconcerting when the results are all over the place…Also I’ve been having SUCH troubles wtih my new pump and site issues where it’s bad sites/bent cannulas etc…so my BS’s are high from that…So all these other factors play into high bs’s and Its just nerve wracking and my nurse thinks its just that I always need MORE insulin, which that might not be the case…B/c that causes the cycle to become more severe, taht if i get any exercise, it’ll cause it to crash even harder and I’d need more to eat to stop it…which then in turn bs goes way higher later…I’ve lost all physical and mental freedom, and as one blog I’ve just read said …‘you are a prisoner in your own body with diabetes’…But thank you so much for your responses…it’s good to read others who try different things and seem to have a better handle on things!..

I will let you know if I find anythign that helps me! Is there a place to like private chat on this site or do people swap emails? I’m new to blogging completely and don’t know if you can always find this particular thread of convos? Sorry for the novel here…Take care!!