New pump

I just ordered my first Mini-Med Paradigm pump, any tips for a first time pumper.

I put this in another new thread but it works here pretty well too:

When I started playing around more with my pump, I was amazed that little adjustments, like .025U/ hour or .1G/U ratio, would make perceptible differences in my #s, not huge but if I felt something was 20 points high or low consistently, I could move it towards where I want it. It really helped me reconsider the "where" I was aiming at to get closer to normal and not to shy away from it.

I find the Medtronic reports, particularly the "pie chart" ones, very useful for stepping back to see the "forest" of BG through the trees of individual tests. If you have all day and your orange wedge (area to be improved...) is the biggest at a particular time, that's as good a place as any to take a look at. This showed me how my reactions to "wedges" could spread through the next time slot and how fixing one could provide more significant benefits through later time periods. Maybe it's sort of OCDiabetes but the micromanaging has worked very well for me.

1. Read the manual and follow the guidelines for setting up your pump.

2. Do the on line training modules.

3. Hopefully you have a CDE or pump trainer ready to get you going, wait for her before you connect with your pump. If not, then come back and ask away,

4. Welcome to pumping, I hope you find it improves your management.

Buy the book Pumping Insulin, 5th Edition by John Walsh and study it. It is the pumpers' bible.

read the pumping insulin book by Walsh - its definitely worth the time!

It's easy to get basal and bolus insulin doing each other's job. The basal rate should cover your basic metabolic needs (liver glucose output) while the bolus should only cover your meals/snacks.

If you can get a customized basal profile settled (it requires testing, time and effort, not fast, but worth it) then you'll more easily be able to determine your correct insulin to carb ratio (I:C) and your insulin sensitivity factor (ISF). Don't worry about all the alphabet soup of acronyms, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

An insulin pump is a powerful tool and it has a much better memory than most humans. Learn as much as you can and don't be afraid to experiment. Keep a log -- write stuff down. You'll learn faster that way.

AR's right about small insulin changes, especially basal rate changes, can produce bigger than expected BG moves.

Thanks for all the advice.

I started my first pump, minimed paradigm, in March and I would never go back to injections! Once you get familiar with it try to get a cgm too. I’ve gotten more micro about my care but it’s feels like a good thing. The first two weeks are a little rocky getting everything set right so make sure you test a lot. After that there are so many great things you can adjust you’ll wonder why you didn’t change over to a pump earlier!

I wish I had put a piece of clear shipping tape over the screen when I first got my pump--just temporarily until I was used to carrying it. I dedicate a pocket to holding my pump but in the beginning I wasn't in the habit and I mistakenly put my keys in the same pocket and scratched the screen. A holster bypasses that problem, of course. Congrats!