Tandem T:Slim X2 with Dexcom integration

My focus has been on Bigfoot, iLet and Insulet’s Horizon system. I’ve totally overlooked Tandem’s progress in this area. These dates are just around the corner! I need to pay closer attention.

1 Like

I was told by Tandem tech support it should be this week. The tech support I spoke with said to call them before the end of day Friday (this week - Aug 29) if we had not yet received the email with the required download code.

Also we did receive a “heads-up” email from Tandem yesterday regarding the FDA approval of the integration although that email gave a time frame of “the next couple of weeks” to receive the email with the code required for the download.

I know at least one person who has already received the code. She indicated that she was one of the first people to buy the X2 and maybe that is why she got the code so quickly.

1 Like

Nice !!!
We are waiting for our email/code. I am excited to run the upgrade.

Nice to hear someone has already received their code!
The rep thought I would get the code within 24 hrs, but I haven’t got it yet.
I think Tim35’s response was probably a more likely scenario.

Saw a user post download success on IG - exciting!

1 Like

Really hoping that this helps turn things around for Tandem. I’ve said for awhile that, IMHO, the G5 integration is what could be a saving grace… and now especially with Animas OneTouch Vibe uncertainty and the delays with MM 670G, it can only be a good thing for Tandem… we shall see. Happy to see the G5 integration approved! And it only took about 5 months! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At least to Tandem’s credit, they were not caught off-guard by the FDA decision. These guys were prepped to go and so far have appeared to be taking the approval and running with it.

They had their website updated right away on Monday.

By all appearances they put their plans into motion immediately and seem to be having a very coordinated rollout. Sure I would have like to get the X2/G5 update on day one (lol) but I totally understand how a planned rollout where they ramp up makes more sense than letting everybody make a mad rush for the update on day one and end up crashing servers from crazy loads or something.

I believe I saw the actual FDA approval was on the 25th however Tandem did not announce it until the 28th (pre-stock opening - lol). I would guess that there were a bunch of Tandem employees who spent a long weekend making sure all their plans were going to be proper for Monday.

2 Likes

Just got my code and I am updating as I type this.

3 Likes

Just got my code also.
lol

But not updating now. Later tonight.

@Hammer - Can you post back how it goes and how you like the screen after the update?

1 Like

BE Forewarned!
When you update, it will reset your Insulin On Board to zero, and you have to pull your cartridge for the update.

2 Likes

New screen looks great. Have to wait to restart the sensor until I can see any readings though

2 Likes

oh yeah, and turn your Dexcom receiver OFF before you start. It doesn’t want it to be on for it to work.
I left my android phone receiving from the g5 without a problem though.

2 Likes

@Hammer - Thanks SO MUCH for the advance info.
:slight_smile:

Going to take all your advice. Pump site/cartridge change after and just do a sensor restart after as well (good BG - good time as any to restart). And turning off Dex receiver right now before I forget.

Thanks !!!

Edit:
I could not get the Pump to connect via USB on my Win7 (lol) laptop. I switched to the Win10 desktop and it connected almost instantly.

Colors don’t look right from my phone picture, but here is the setup working!

1 Like

I think we have it working. Pump is doing the sensor restart now.
:sunglasses:

Luckily I have a new 350 page user guide to keep me busy waiting for the 2 hr warm up !!!

(Yeah - I am one of those “read the manual” peeps)

According to the (new) manual regarding the t:slim X2 internal rechargeable battery:
"A full charge will last up to 7 days with normal use (5 days when using CGM). "

Dexcom Receiver was powered off for the X2 upgrade and the sensor restart.

After the X2 upgrade was complete, we did a G5 sensor stop from the Dexcom App on the Apple iPhone. Then did an immediate sensor start from the Tandem X2. Two hour warm-up. Back-to-back fingerstick calibrations entered into the Apple iPhone. Waited 10 minutes to let everything sync. BG data is properly showing on Apple iPhone, Tandem X2 pump, Apple Watch and remotely to an Android Tablet (Dexcom Follow App). I assume the BG data is flowing into Clarity but there a 4 hour lag on the Clarity display.

After the other devices were properly receiving and displaying the BG data, I tried to get the Dexcom Receiver to pick up the transmitter and also display the BG. So far no luck. The receiver does not seem to want to connect now that the X2 is already connected.

Still the Dex Receiver would not connect. I will have to call Dex Tech Support.

Has anybody gotten the X2 and the Dex Receiver both connected to the G5?

Unlike the Dexcom receiver, it doesn’t look like the X2 will pick up on an already established session. For example, I’ve had the Dexcom receiver off and in a drawer for a month. I charged it, turned it back on, and it quickly connected to the session I had established via the iPhone app a couple of days earlier.

The X2, after setting it up yesterday, never picked up the established session and only offered the option of starting a new one. Slightly disappointed in this, but hopefully this will be the only hiccup.

Starting a new session via the X2 now… we’ll see how it goes.

Yeah, you must turn off the dexcom receiver for the X2 to pickup the signal.
Now, I left my android phone running the dexcom mobile app running the entire time.
I never stopped the sensor on my phone though.

Funny thing, Even though I told the X2 to start the sensor, and it showed the warm up time clock for about 15 minutes. Then it just started reading numbers. I am guessing that because the phone was still working with the G5, that the X2 eventually picked up on this.

Now, I know I need to fully read the manual. But I am wondering if I now HAVE TO enter calibrations in on the X2, or can I still do it on the phone and it transfer over like it always did on the receiver.

The Dexcom receiver was off, not charged, and far away from me when I setup the pump for CGMS. I waited 5 hours for the pump to reflect the already established session, and it never did. I did not tell the pump to start a new session as I was presuming that would invalidate the session I had already started. That might be the trick, though. Note that you do not have to do that with either the Dexcom receiver or the iPhone app - they just work.

One other thing, the pump’s max range to the transmitter is very aspirational. Taking a shower, 7 feet away from the pump, caused the signal to be blocked. Also, last night, having my iPad next to me also blocked (or interfered with) the signal and the pump was literally 6" from the transmitter. The Dexcom receiver or iPhone aren’t nearly as sensitive.

Except for those issues, things work the way I’d expect. Calibrations entered into the phone show up on the pump, for example.

I wear the pump on the opposite side of my body from the G5 sensor, but I had a bit of time last night that it didn’t have numbers on my pump. But my phone had a solid line of numbers. And it sits a few feet away.