New to all of this

Hello World!

I am new to all of this, bogging and Diabetes.

How to begin.....I was coming home from a business trip and I did not feel well on the airplane, I felt like I was not getting enough air. The flight attendant asked many questions and thought that I was not enjoying the flying experience and I was anxious about that. I explained to her that I was Gold on two airlines, no stranger to flying. There are many levels of embarrassment that need to be overcome here. The First level is pushing the call button on the plane, because you know that shortly you will hear, "Is the a Doctor in the house?" And so we did and a very kind Nurse Practitioner came up and took my Blood Pressure, which I found out later was really high. They gave me Oxygen and we went on to land, we were only about 45 minutes out but we went straight in and landed early.

When we landed we were met by a paramedic who put me on different oxygen, the plane’s small bottle was now empty, and as the Nurse Practitioner gave over the case I found out that my Blood Pressure when she measured it was 180 over 110, a little high. So we got off the plane and got on the gurney and went to the ambulance. Here is the second level of embarrassment as I was wheeled through the terminal on the stretcher with everyone in the airport gawking at me. Into the ambulance and away we go.

At the hospital more tests, x-rays etc and as they are transferring me out of the ER up to a room, the ER doctor says of you are on such and such protocol and you are a diabetic. I said, “Sorry doc not true.” The doctor looked like I knew this but was in denial. We went back and forth and then he said, “Well now you are a diabetic.” OK no Problem.

My blood sugar in the hospital was over 300 and I got insulin shots 3 times over the next 12 or so hours.

I was in the hospital for about 24 hours, cause of my other symptoms, and before release spoke to a very nice nurse about Diabetes, she tried to put me on a 1800 calorie a day night that I actually stayed on for two days. Went to the doctor got examined and prodded and blood tested and started on this new path.

That’s about it for now,

Arthur