New to Insulin

I am new using insulin I started about two weeks ago. I am taking 20 units of Lantus at bedtime. I was wondering how long it took to find the right dosage? I have only had two fasting blood sugars that were under 200. I have been higher 200's when ever I test which I am sure is not a good thing. I guess the second question that I have do I need to ask about adding mealtime insulin or just the Lantus more time to work. I found out that I had diabetes November 13th 2012 and my A1c was 11.5. Thanks for any help.

The dosage prescribed was based on your weight. As you use insulin over beginning weeks, your body needs a bit less. The right dosage will change over your lifetime.
The general rule is that 3 days after you change basal insulin, you will know that dose's effects when you have not eaten and when you have not taken short acting insulin within 4 hours.
The problem in the beginning is that if you increase a Lantus dose every 3 days, you will soon find you are way over your need, and running lows. The likelihood is that you will need less, not more.
Tell your doctor's team contact person what you're running. Keep a page-a-day little book showing when and what you ate, how many grams of each carbohydrate, and the time of insulin when you start adding mealtime insulin. When you have a few days of the food diary and what your blood sugar spiked to and what your blood sugar was before meals, the team will be able to determine what and if you need short-acting insulin.

Finding the right dose is trial and error. Each person with D is different. The doctors try to make an educated guess and give you a starting point but it's still just a guess based on experience. They usually start with a low amount and allow you to work your way up to the correct dose.

Leo is right give your body a chance to adjust before making changes. The three day rule is important because it takes that long to see the results.

Sorry I can't give a direct answer but like I said everyone is different. I did this a couple of years ago and never did reach my goals with basal insulin alone but that's just me.

You'll know when it's time to ask for meal time (short acting) when it seems like you are taking incredible amounts and still not getting results. I was up to 120 units basal before telling my dr that we need to do something else. And about insulin amounts there is no amount that is to high. If you need it you need it and there is nothing to be ashamed of when using high numbers. T2's like you and me can be very insulin resistant requiring larger amounts.

Slow and easy is the way to go. Hi blood glucose levels don't happen overnight and will not come back down overnight either.