New to Insulin

I am new using insulin I started about two weeks ago. I am taking 20 units of Lantus at bedtime. I was wondering how long it took to find the right dosage? I have only had two fasting blood sugars that were under 200. I have been higher 200's when ever I test which I am sure is not a good thing. I guess the second question that I have do I need to ask about adding mealtime insulin or just the Lantus more time to work. I found out that I had diabetes November 13th 2012 and my A1c was 11.5. Thanks for any help.

Hi CJ, welcome to TuD! Lantus will work right away. I'd contact your endo and let him/her know what your numbers are so your Lantus can be adjusted. Over 200 is not acceptable.

Hi! Welcome to the club! I’m assuming your type II. I’m type I so to give you advise would be out of term for me but I would assume that the doc would try you on that dose for a while and on your nexts visit he will look at your glucose records and do your A1C again and see how that is and adjust accordingly. Good luck!