New to LADA

Here’s my favorite recipe for low carb bagels

1 Like

Thanks @Firenza. I have made the fathead pizza dough a few times, but I haven’t gotten to the bagels yet. I will definitely give that a shot.

That said, I live about 2.5 hours from Montreal. And when I visit, I give myself a pass for the real deal at Fairmount Bagels. There is nothing like a hot sesame bagel with cream cheese. And life is short!

I’v been reading all of the responses and getting something out of eac of them. I’m 79 years old and was diagnosed with LADA 1 1/2 years ago. Also didn’t fit the profiles. I play tennis, work out with a trainer and walk for fitness. I was put onToujeo 6 units in am and 6 in pm plus 500 Metformin er twice a day.With low carb Diet` got to 6.4aic. Just changed Endocronologist and new one thinks my pancreas is still producing some insulin so switched to just 10 units at night. She also recommended the freestyle libra. Not sure I’m ready to give up the control of multiple finger sticks. It’s always helpful hearing other peoples issues on the subject. I still haven’t found anyone as old as me😜

If 2 injections is working, and you’re not complaining that it is hardship, why on earth would the Dr want to switch you?

Using freestyle Libre could be in addition to your fingersticks, and be very helpful.

1 Like

New Dr with different ideas. I’ve been running higher than normal in am so I guess her thinking is that the higher dose just at night might help. I guess I’m still a work in progress.

I’ve had T1D 50+ years, and still a work in progress !

My recommendation is to try the Libre, even if you just do so for a few weeks. Keep logs of your meal times, carbs, then review them with your Dr. That would best highlight what changes to insulin would be most beneficial.

@Jackie_Muhlstock
I think if you give the Libre a try, it might be an extremely helpful tool. I have been using it for 3 months now. It allows me to see trends that the finger sticks don’t. It’s awkward at first, but for the most part… it’s comfortable and accurate (with in reason). The trends help me prevent highs staying high and helps me with lows. I feel like I’m much more in control. The Libre upload website is very easy to use. I call my endo every two weeks when I upload my data. I gave them my login info so they can check my progress.

Right now I’m on 4 units of Long acting every morning. It definitely peaks and thanks to the Libre, I’m able to see exactly what happens and how individual foods effect me.

I’m so new to this too, so glad to have found this forum filled with wonderful humans helping each other through this Journey. From what I’ve been absorbing, learning BG trends and how everything works coupled with certain times of the day, have only helped me feel like I’m in control and that I can see that I’m doing well.

I eat a low carb diet, but I’ve always been a low carb person. I find that if I graze all day, I tend to stay even.
Hope my newbie info was helpful. Sending love and strength! Keep reading here, it’s really helped me with the mental/emotional aspect. I put on a brave face from day 1 and finally 3 months after, I broke down and the realization of what we are all dealing with finally set in. I worry that I will be alone with my toddler and something will happen to me. Thankfully the Libre hepls me with that. Also my endo suggested I invest in medical alert jewelry which gives me piece of mind… because since we didn’t have T1 our entire lives, many people who have known me for years still don’t know. I’m finding some ignorance, but for the most part my friends and loved ones have taken the time to learn about my needs, which helps me feel safe.

I used Lauren’s hope (I think that’s what it was called) for the jewelry… they have classy medical IDs that I can wear at work and sporty ones for home or working out.

1 Like

Laurie,

Welcome to the proud LADA club. We’re a lucky group of people who beat the odds and got diagnosed with something not many people get. My story is pretty similar to yours, except my A1c at diagnosis was around 13. I’m now on about 8 units of Tresiba ever day, and a few units (3 to 5) of Novolog or Humalog as needed with meals.

Among one of the many challenges with LADA is finding the right doctor or endocrinologist for you. I was lucky in that my cousin who also has LADA had done the tough work for me and had already found a great one. But don’t be afraid to shop around for a new doctor if you don’t like the advise you’re getting (assuming there are multiple endos available in your area).

I was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago and am still “honeymooning,” although I don’t really like that phrase. My endo is willing to try different approaches, and for the last year I have been taking a GLP-1 agonist. I have taken both Trulicity and Victoza. Even though these medications are only approved for Type 2s in the U.S., he feels that they can help my pancreas preserve beta cell function and may prolong that honeymoon. My last four A1c tests have all been under 6.0, and I think the GLP-1 agonists have been a big part of that. So I’d highly recommend talking to your endo about a GLP-1 agonist to see if it’s appropriate for you.

Overall there is a lot to learn about diabetes. But more specifically, there is a lot to learn about YOUR diabetes, because it will be different from everyone else’s. And it takes time, lots of time. Years in fact. 2.5 years in, I finally feel like I have a good handle on what’s happening to me. I’m not saying this to scare you in any way, but to try and tell you to be patient with yourself. You’ll get there.

Lastly, the nighttime lows can be tricky. It sounds like you’ve already been given some good advise about that. The one thing I would add is that you need to find the value at which you consider yourself to be low. My overnight values typically range between 65 and 70. Some doctors tell you that anything under 80 is low. But for me I find that I can safely be around 65 and still feel fine. So I set my alarm to go off if I dip under 60. That’s when I start reacting and take some glucose tabs.

Good luck with everything. And as you’re already seen, we are all here to help.

Cheers,
David

If you don’t hear the machine alarm when your low, some people put it into an empty glass so when it vibrates, it makes a bunch more noise and wakes them up.

Exercise is going to be tricky, but if the pattern is predictable, then that makes it much easier. You may need to lower your basal, starting an hour before running, or eat a whole bunch.

1 Like

Hi David,
Thank you so much for sharing with me. I’m reading the books that have been recommended here. In addition to this forum, I know a few humans with Type 1, who offer a lot of insight. The only thing that’s a huge difference is that other than the Tresiba, I have no other meds/insulin to correct BGs. Did you start out that way too? I’m at the point where if my BG is high (190-210ish) after a meal which is maybe once a week or at a picnic…or if I’m traveling and have limited food options, I am able to exercise for ten min to bring it right down. I think the Tresiba peaks at bedtime, what do you think (currently on 4 units/day) and I take belviq. My GAD was over 4,000. What are your thoughts?

Also, I would like to feel comfortable enough to have a beer once in a while… I’m too worried how it will affect me.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Laurie

I am new to this also, going on 4 months.

Start telling people you are diabetic, I told my neighbor and it turned out he has had it to for the last 10 years. I never knew. I told the guy at the pizza place, yep him too. Another at work.

Laurie, I’m a beer lover too. My total daily insulin is about ten times more than yours so not sure if my experience is relevant but here goes. After I started on insulin 4 years ago, I stuck to Coors light for a few months until I got a handle on things. Once I was comfortable with managing my BG, I started trying better beer. It took a long time to get a feel for how some beers will cause a big spike (mostly IPA’s and any sweet tasting beer like Mac n Jack) while others will not (lagers and pilsners). Porter and stout are a mixed bag and I have not figured them out. I now treat 1 or 2 beers like any other snack, bolussing for my best guess of their carbs when needed. One thing I have not tried ( and do not intend to) is getting drunk, which can cause bad things to a diabetic including low BG while sleeping.

Thank you, John. I was going to try a light beer last night, but my BGs were hovering 90-100, so I decided not to. Then before a blink of an eye they dropped to 70 so I ended up having apple juice at the bar instead! Oh well! I think if I can get a good meal with complex carbs before hand and have a drink earlier in the evening, I would feel more comfortable. I don’t care if I drink or not, it’s just fun having a beer out with friends on some occasions.

For some reason I get the shakes when I go to 70-80. I feel the best 90-140.

Re: beer, if you feel you might be or might go on the low side, drink hard cider instead, which is also conveniently available at a lot of bars. :slight_smile: It does send my BGs through the roof, though, so I need to share it with my husband. I also have Celiac, so my drink of choice has become gin & diet tonic. I don’t notice it affecting my BGs much at all, but then, I’m a cheap date. One is enough.

Re: shakes, when I was first diagnosed (4 years ago), I got shaky at, get this, 250 or less. Yeah. It took me about a year to “normalize” my reactions. Now, I verge on hypo unawareness, which is scary. That’s been one of the reasons for me to move into a fair amount of technology to better keep track of things. My new Endo has also been very helpful w/ suggestions, like: suspend your basal insulin for a while when going out to garden or dance intensively, and be prepared to raise your basal if you are ill (even if not eating), or during certain times of the month (I’m female).

As others have written, this disease is a puzzle sometimes, and what worked in the past may not work in the future. What works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. You do your best, and when things don’t work out, don’t beat yourself up about it. Just try and learn from the experience and document it, if you feel so inclined. Write the handbook on you, as everyone else is taken. :slight_smile:

Good luck, and good life,

-kmj

My low BG physical response is similar to yours. I start to experience symptoms fairly dependably at 65 mg/dL (3.6). If I were to treat with a low BG antidote at 70 (3.9), I would miss out at some long runs in the 65-70 range. My physical symptoms are driven by adrenaline which fuels an elevated heart rate and some light sweating.

I think it’s helpful to know your particular symptoms and BG ranges so that you can avoid the standard one-size-fits-all advice dished out by the typical hyper-phobic about hypoglycemic medico. They mean well and don’t understand the consequences of their standard advice.

Six years ago, when I radically changed my diet and started to limit carbs, I was on the typical glucose rollercoaster and experienced many relatively shallow hypos. This lead to hypoglycemic unawareness. Once I experienced many fewer hypos, my physical symptoms returned. I feel lucky to feel the rapid pulse and sweating as its a built-in safety mechanism that requires no batteries and never fails.

I’m bringing up this old thread because my libre graphs look almost exactly like yours. My doc thinks I’m honeymooning and I’ve been trying to adjust my tresiba dose correctly. Lately I have been having to eat my way from going low. If these graphs where saved on my phone id think the were mine.

Is this normal? To have to eat or else go low?

1 Like

Hi @MM1 @Rex2
My apologies for not seeing your comment here. If you’re reading this, we can compare notes and help each other out. How’s it going? How much tresiba are you on?

I eat almost zero carbs at breakfast(priemere protein shske only) bc I can’t tokerate any without a major spike, I guess the tresiba peaks at some point. Then I can stay between 100-140 all day if I keep lunch to 20 g of carbs and I have either an apple w peanut butter or nature valley protein bar. Those bars never/rarely spike me. When I was super active this summer, I felt like I had to eat more too. Now that I’m a little comfortable, I am testing out adjusting my tresiba. The fiasp is still a guessing game. I am cautious bc I’d rather be a little higher than worry about a low.

As for the rest of the gang, I was looking back on the thread and feeling so extremely grateful for all of the love and insights that I gained here. Now 8 months under my belt with LADA and I’m finally feeling like I get it a little bit lol. I don’t think I would feel as educated and supported without all of you. Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy days to reach out to not only me, but everyone here.

My update: still on 6 units of tresiba and now I have a fast acting pen (Fiasp) for meals. I find that I need the pen for anything over 30 grams of carbs. I use the pen maybe once per week if necessary. It’s nice to eat a slice of pizza without a major spike. I only need 1-3 units. In addition I moved to the 14 day Libre and love it, but I’m back to not sleeping all night bc it doesn’t work the the maiomaio. Apparently that’s only an issue for US users. I love technology and desperately want to exceecise more, so I really feel that having alarms will allow me to do that again. This I’m waiting on the hoops to jump through to get a Dexcom G6.

I am a snowboarder and I finally feel comfortable adjusting my long acting. So today I took 2 less units, stayed under 20 g of carbs and it definitely helped. I did eat an egg sandwich w cheese which spiked me to 180 prior but every half hour I had to eat 5g to keep it stable around 100.
You can see some days are better here. I also make sure I eat 15-20g snack before bed.

Hope all is well my friends,
Sincerely
Laurie

1 Like

Thanks for responding. And no need to apologize! You answered back pretty quick - I am the one who revived an old thread just to get a response from someone like me. You can see my daily graphs below are similar to when you started.

Do you still feel like you have to catch yourself falling by eating something? I am on 13u of tresiba and fiasp right now. However I was only told to take the fiasp if I’m over 150 at meals - however I never am.

Wow! We are really extremely similar. I’m only on 6 units of tresiba. Now I’m trying 4 on my own to exercise. What are your Libre settings at? What do you consider low? I’m learning that every person has a different idea, even the docs… I went to 6 before I felt I had one who could treat me properly. Endo #5 wanted me to just take insulin before meals. If I eat low carb I don’t even have to use the fiasp. The tresiba holds me in check.

Are you in the US? I don’t know what protocol is here… but if you want to exchange emails, we can be LADA buddies lol. It’s been lonely and frustrating at times.

Also, yes I do kind of make sure I eat every 2 hours. Those protein bars (nature valley) really pull their weight so to speak. It has an excellent carb:protein ratio. Mygo to mid day snack. 200 calories but most protein bars taste nasty and although I like the low glycemic kind bars, they give me a little spike.