New to Omnipod- can you help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

This can be very low cost. These days I totally get that processed foods are cheaper. High protein is kind of a no no too. Too much protein we will convert to glucose too. Moderate protein. The key to sustaining you are the healthy fats. I've been working with my Endo very closely on this with 2 thumbs up. I've never been in better health (and so stable). This is a great video discussing T1 and the Low carb high fat diet. A worthwhile watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8rc_AF6XU john, feel free to pm me here. I can point you to the right resources and answer any questions you may have.

Hi kay, it is a bit of an adjustment moving to a pump as others have suggested. it does almost seem like it could be an absorption issue where she drifts up on the second day, do you pinch up her sites? are you rotating sites? it very well could be that her settings need adjustments, I would have her seen or touch base with your diabetes team. it is really not insulets job to give medical advise just back up their product. my son has settled in and has been with omnipod for 4 years doing better with the newer smaller pods. if she does get sweaty or is real active you can put a tegaderm strip over her pod over the canuala end it is like a big clear band aid. I really don't have anymore practical advise, other than the issue is not her diet as she was doing fine before this, it is a pump adjustment issue. I used to want to throw in the towel and go back to shots at times but my son never did so we stuck it out and are doing well.... keep tracking everything and share with your diabetes team best wishes, hang in there kay it will get better. blessings, amy

Thank you. I did get an appointment for tomorrow so we will see if we can get some more help tomorrow. New pod seems to be working well. She always has a high rise in the morning, no matter how low carb we go so I am working on not letting that get to me today :). Hopefully we will get some answers tomorrow. Thanks for replying.

Thanks for sharing all of that. My family is partly vegan as well. It is hard to get a picky ten year old to try new things but I am hoping to gradually change things a bit to lower carb. It is hard, though. I think sometimes she just wants to be like everyone else and eat whatever she wants and I struggle with not restricting her choices too much. I had an eating disorder as a teenager and I fear that all of this focus on food will create that in her. Or she will rebel if I don't do all of this very carefully. We have to be gluten free as she has Celiac (and so do my husband and I) and so it should be easy enough for me to eliminate some unnecessary carbs (for example, Trader Joe's GF mac and cheese, haha, which is an occasional treat around here).

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply. You know, I did some reading here of old threads and learned a few things a couple of days ago, like pinching up at insertion time (and also some great tips about getting the air bubbles out of the syringe before filling the pod). I did not do the pinching up on this last pod because I just plain forgot but did do it on the pod before, the one that only worked for a day. Once I took that one off yesterday, I noticed a fair amount of blood in and on the cannula- is that normal? I never got an alarm that there was an occlusion, though, but clearly something made that pod stop working for her. As far as site rotating goes, I have been rotating from her thighs to her back area. She will not wear a pod on her arms unless she has on long sleeves. Seeing as it is still 90 degrees most days here, that spot it out of the question probably until December. She refuses to have any thing touch her stomach ever (she has SPD and has some touch/pressure avoidance issues) so that spot is out of the question. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer with your experiences. I really appreciate it.

In my years of using the pod, I've never pinched up :) On occasion have had blood on the cannula. For me, thighs are the worst spot. I never had good absorption there, and they always hurt. Hated them on my abdomen too. My upper butt cheek and upper arms have been my go-to spots that I am happy with. With some extra testing now, and correction, you'll get the hang of it. Once you get the basal and ratios ironed out you both will feel better. Ratios and basals change with a growing child and fluxing hormones. Once you think you have it figured out, it is going to change. As long as you are prepared for that change, you will be fine.

Very helpful- thanks! Well, I am doing my best to just be calm about this pod. Here we are on day 2 and her BG is almost 300 again and this was after a 25 carb breakfast. I have this sinking feeling that I have been over-reacting and yanking pods out before running their course because I have panicked. I think we will get some good advice and care tomorrow at our appointment. For now, I am just going to try to keep her busy today and try to bring her down with swimming and running around and bolus her when it seems appropriate to see if I can bring things to a reasonable level until we see the CDE tomorrow. My daughter is quite insulin resistant so I don't worry too much about overdoing things, plus we have the Dexcom to alert us. I think it will be the opposite problem and we will have to deal with highs, though. Thanks again for your support...

I've never had to pull a pod (everyone's experience can vary, I've been on it 3 years). If you are going high then bolusing, it always takes more insulin to bring down a high, than it would have to pre-bolus. When are you bolusing? And being resistant, may need to bolus slightly earlier to avoid the spike and set the Dexcom alarm a little lower to catch it before it gets that high.

blood in the canula or significant bleeding when removing a pod could mean there was an absorption issue or partial occlusion, it only alarms for a compete occlusion this happens for Jacob almost exclusively during a bolus, since she is new with podding overusing a site should really not be an issue I do hope things get better! we understand, hopefully things will settle in in a week or two but do try to touch base with her team about her settings us long timers do most of our adjusting on our own. but you might feel comfortable getting support and guidance for her diabetes team. blessings amy

Great info- thank you. And I got that alarm at dinner tonight just as we were bolusing. Darn, another pod bites the dust. Thanks so much for your support.

I find that the pod works better when I press down on the pod over the cannula while it is activating. If I don't have a suction - proved when it is removed by seeing the proofed up triangle - I am not absorbing the insulin well. If the pod lifts up at all, and I lose my suction (slides around, etc.) my body will stop adsorbing and my bg will head high.

That is a helpful tip, thank you.

We are at the beginning of our third week and knock on wood, things are getting better. I made myself a super nerdy spreadsheet with info about each pod to see if I could see any patterns. This latest pod that we have going here has made it to the 48 hour mark- yay! I know now that I was right to yank the other pods. They were not adhering properly. When these little pods work, they work so awesomely. So my aim now is to keep this trend going. We discussed with the NP at our endo's office some strategies to keep my daughter's pods on better. We are working our way towards her tummy, one inch at a time. My daughter does not like the tummy idea but I think it would be a good spot for her. Right now, the current pod is sideways on her love handle area. My daughter is a bit like a bull in a china shop and I think she just bangs into everything too much and I think that this has been a contributing factor to our troubles. She is deaf and hears with a cochlear implant, in addition she has sensory processing issues. We are starting OT in November- maybe that will help with some of this. Thanks again to everyone for your support. I was feeling so discouraged last week and wanted to just say forget it. I am a lot more confident this week that I can make this work.

If you've found a solution to making the pods work, then great! If not, it's entirely possible that she could be having a reaction to the catheter material. I know that there are folks who are allergic to the Teflon, and have to use pumps that use steel catheters. As I recall, the symptom of going high after about 24 and not being to bring it down without a shot is reflective of this.

You might want to look into that possibility if things don't get better. That would require either going back to shots or switching to one of the tubed pumps, unfortunately.

Sometimes even the best ped endos/CDEs aren't all that helpful when it comes to pumping because, unless they have T1D themselves, they don't live with T1D 24/7. If you don't continue obtaining tighter control of your child's BG with OmniPod, I'd suggest looking into one-on-one management through Integrated Diabetes Services, Inc., Gary Scheiner's organization (yes, that Gary Scheiner, the author of Think Like a Pancreas.)

Hello, my daughter uses the OmniPod and we have had some challenges, but not the type you are talking about so much. Have you talked to your OmniPod rep? I don't know how they do things where you live, but here, we had a trainer from OmniPod when she first started on the pod, and she is still my go-to person with questions about the pod, even more so than my daughter's endo. Your rep, if it is a good one, can give you so many tips and pointers. Also, talk to Insulet about replacing the pods you "lost" due to having to change them too early. They are pretty good about it. And they are expensive, so get replacements if you can!

Hi! Thanks for your suggestions. We seem to have made some decent progress so far. It is not always perfect but so much better. What seems to have worked best for my daughter is a "tegaderm sandwich". I use a large tegaderm patch with an omnipod shapped hole in it and put that over the adhesive of the pod. Then I put another whole tegaderm over the entire thing. This has been the best solution for us yet. I think that our humid climate and my daughter's clumsiness gave us some extra challenges. I also think that I may have not been letting the Skintac dry thoroughly enough. The pod beeping at me to get to the next stage of the process stressed me out a bit at first (haha, it does not take much to get to me obviously) and I think I rushed to put on the pod before the skintac was dry, which created a wet, steamy adhesive situation. So now I make sure that her skin is very, very dry after I wash the Emla cream off with soap and water and then wipe down her skin with rubbing alcohol. And I don't even use the skintac now and it the pods have been sticking on well. We had a general pump trainer assist us- she does other types of pumps as well. My area Omnipod rep did send us a few replacements pods so that was really helpful. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Hi! Sorry I missed your reply for do long. I agree, I would love to consult with Gary. I heard him speak at the FFL conference this past summer and he is really great. Just need to find a way to fit that into the budget :).

Thank you. I did not know anything about that. I will watch for symptoms. I am still trying to figure out what is her new normal pattern with the pod. These past few days, she has been riding in the 200s despite nothing being different and trying to bolus to bring it down and do extra exercise. I even changed a pod early as I thought that maybe because we had been to the beach and we were outside all day that maybe the insulin got too hot in the pod (not even sure if this is possible but my mind is always searching for reasons). But the new pod has not made a difference. Maybe it is a growth spurt as she does not seem to be getting sick. It is hard to accept that sometimes, especially with a growing child, that there is not always an answer. Thanks for the info about the allergy.