New to pumping (stupid questions)

So I just got my MM Paradigm 723 yesterday, I have to say I enjoy not having to shoot up multiple times through out the day and having to lug around everything with me. Having this on my side and having the ability to have my meeter feed it my BG and then telling it my carbs it is nice that it does all the math for me.

I do have a few stupid questions. These might be just me but hoping someone out there can help me.

First the portion attached to me, can it easily be pulled out? For example I have a small 2 year old and a 7 year old can they hook it and pull it out rather easy?

Second can I sleep on this same area with out stopping the flow of insulin in?

Also they sent me quick sets which are 24" long I believe, trying to figure out if its better to get longer tubing or if it just gets in the way?

And last, do I have to worry about the sticky factor on the quick set? It seems to be attached well, but taking showers, and sweating does it lose this factor, should I invest in the new IV3000 set to help keep it in place?

Appreciate the help, I know this is the right thing to do for me to bring my A1C under control, but I can’t help being nervous that I am going to pull it out or do something to stop it from doing it’s job.

Thanks for the answers and feedback!

That’s why the Omnipod is soo great. No tubing. ( but it does make a great “shelf”) for 2 yr olds, and small dogs.

First the portion attached to me, can it easily be pulled out? For example I have a small 2 year old and a 7 year old can they hook it and pull it out rather easy?

It can be pulled out, but in 8 years of pumping I have got it caught a few times on a doorknob, pulling pretty hard and it stayed put.

Yes you can sleep on the area.

Also they sent me quick sets which are 24" long I believe, trying to figure out if its better to get longer tubing or if it just gets in the way?

I have used the 23" for almost the whole time but recently tried the longer tubing and liked the extra tubing for when I wear the pump down my leg and put in my trouser socks (knee highs) or strap to my leg with a pump holder.

And last, do I have to worry about the sticky factor on the quick set? It seems to be attached well, but taking showers, and sweating does it lose this factor, should I invest in the new IV3000 set to help keep it in place?

The quick set stays well for me without the IV3000, I use to use the IVprep for cleaning and tackiness, but now use alcohol preps since the IVprep had a recall. I have not used the IV3000 for years, don’t need it.

Different pumps are different, so you might also post in the group for your pump. I have the Animas Ping, but I’ll answer for me. I would think a 7 year old could be told not to pull on it. My 3 1/2 year old great niece touched my tubing and I just told her not to pull on it. It would take a pretty good yank to pull it out, but I’m sure the 2 year old could manage if he tugged hard.

Sleeping on it was something I worried about at first too, but you can sleep on the tubing just fine, and even the pump and it doesn’t cause any problems at all.

Animas makes a 23 and a 43 inch and everyone told me all I needed was the 23 as a woman, but I LOVE the 43 inch because I can just lay my pump down and dress, and I feel much less tethered. I just tuck the extra tubing in my waistband. YMMV.

Again the pumps are different, but I don’t use any extra tape to hold mine down. It doesn’t come loose with my hot baths.

Yes it can be pulled out but I have only pulled one out since I started pumping over two years ago. You can sleep on the site, I do it all the time because I thrash around. I think you would have to really kink it bad because the tubing is double one tube inside another. I use the 32 inch Quicksets, Sils and Sure-T’'s. I use Skin Tac to add more adhesive property to the tape portion of the QS. I also use Tac Away to remove the residue left.

One cheap and easy way to keep the adhesive fastened down is to put little strips of cloth tape around it. For extra insurance but possibly not necessary, I like to put Bandaid’s Medium Adhesive Pads over the adhesive. (The Bandaid might not last through a shower though, I only take half-showers with the pump on.) I have three Golden Retrievers with lots of formal training but no home manners re jumping up on you, and the tape + Bandaid have never failed me. I wear a Spibelt night and day, and the water-resistant Spibelt in the shower. I agree that there is more versatility with longer tubing. If the extra tubing is bothersome in some circumstance, you can make a loop-de-loop with the extra and tape it across with the cloth tape. Have fun with your pumping!

Thanks for the info I will call them and ask them for some samples of the longer tubes to see if it works out better for me. Again thanks for the info!

Hey there,

Thanks I will post something in the other area as well, still learning this site, and found the other area after this one.

You are right the 7 year old has been told not to touch it, with him it’s more of “I’m going to tackle dad” or something I was worried about. More less my daughter who is the younger of the two that I worry about she is interested in it, but I have managed to keep her away from it for now.

I slept much better after reading all your feedback. I laid awake the night before worried that I was going to roll on it, or kink it or something. I will have to look in to extra tubing I can see where it might be useful at times.

Thanks for the feedback!

Never gave it much thought to call and ask for samples, thanks for the great idea and the information. Just wondering does it hurt to use your thigh when placing the quickset? When I did my stomach I didn’t feel a thing (maybe that was a fluke?)

I am really aiming to get my A1C down, it has sky rocketed up to 11.3% but now I am in just these few days have been under 165 BG and most of the time I have been around 120 which is great.

Thanks for the information!

Richard,

Thanks for the heads up, I thrash around a lot (or so my wife says lol) so I am glad that I can rest with out an issue. I will have to look in to skin tac to have on hand for just in case!

Trudy,

great idea with the looping the extra tubing, I am guessing this is all the stuff you pick up over the time of pumping. I have a little terrier (terror) that loves to jump but since the pump has been on I have to say she does’t jump on me. Instead when I am sitting on the couch she is coming to sit by my side that has the pump on. She does jump on everyone else though not sure what she is thinking but not minding it!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and information!

Damon, I have Jack Russell Terriers. I have no problem as I keep the tubing well tucked in, and usually wear my shirts out, not tucked in, so extra protection. They gave one sniff at the pump and site in the beginning and have since ignored it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pumping. Give yourself time to learn, it’s a process.

I’ve only had mine for 4 months, but I’ve never had one pull out. I tuck the tubing inside my pants, which helps.

Yes.

I dunno. For me personally I would find longer tubing totally annoying.

I was worried about that at first, and asked the pump trainer. She said it’s pretty much only large very sweaty men who have trouble. I told her that I sweated like a pig while exercising, and she laughed at me. (I’ve had no problem at all.)

Damon, if you’re still concerned about the site being pulled out you can always stick a piece of tape or two to the tubing near the site.

The pumpers’ world is divided into two groups: those who like long tubing and those who like short tubing. Well, maybe not exactly. But I do think that a lot of people like what they started with.

I personally hate long tubing. It does things like getting bunched up in my underwear and once when I was out in shorts, it hung down to my knees. Kind of embarrassing. One reason I like short tubing is that if you drop your pump, the short tubing will stop it from hitting the floor, while the long tubing will let it crash.

I did try the Mios with the really short tubing (18" I think), and that was too short for me. I think I use the 23" and that’s perfect for me.

I have never had adhesion problems with my infusion sets. I have always used iv Prep until the recall. Lately I’ve just been using alcohol wipes and I still get great adhesion. I’ve never used anything like IV3000.

Most of this stuff is YMMV stuff and you’ll figure out what works best for you.

I’m hoping to be on a pump this summer. I use the VA system, so it may be a while!! Anyway, I’m trying to get better at counting my carbs so I can get my bolus right. I an an android phone. Does anyone know any good apps that help figuring out the carbs?

Calorie King online here is great. You can plug in just about any food and portion size and get carbs as well as other nutrition info.

I use Calorie Counter on my Evo. Great app, you can query foods, brands, and chain restaurant menus.

I assume you’re using MDI now? Might be useful to keep logs of how many carbs (and what) you eat to get an idea of what your body can/can’t tolerate.

Hope you get your pump soon!!

Thanks, I downloaded the Calorie Counter App. Very revealing I made up an average meal at chick fil a and it was well over 300 carbs!! Tonights meal was a bit higher than I thought it would have been, I know fresh corn on the cob isn’t the best choice, but it’s too good to pass up sometimes. I would have done well not to eat the 2nd ear!! MDI?? The only thing I have, besides now having the calorie counter, is On Track. Its been a good way to keep track of sugars, but not too good of a food diary as it has no values to foods. My Endo showed me Calorie King, I travel so much, I wish they had a good app. I like that calorie counter though. Will see what it can show me!! Thanks Again!!!

MDI = multiple daily injections, sorry!

Yeah, it’s eye opening. I was shocked when I saw that the lovely frozen drink I had my eye on at Border’s was 300+ carbs!! I passed :wink:

There’s a Calorie King paperback. If you can get online on your android phone you can always access it.