New to pumping (stupid questions)

ohhh… duh…LOL I take 4-5 shots a day. Online is an option, now I think I may see if there’s a kindle version since I have that app as well.

I’ve been pumping over 12 years, and only had a site pull out once. If you go the specified 3 days on a site, it’s really unlikely, but I tend to try to make them last for 6, and by that time, the adhesive is starting to pull up. (OK, I know I’m a bad girl!)

I don’t have any problems with showers, as long as I allow the set to dry and don’t mess with it.

I prefer the long tubing, because it gives me more freedom to move around while dressing. And when using the toilet. When I pull my pants up, I just coil up the tubing and tuck it in my pants, and have had NO problems at all. While it’s true that if you drop your pump with the 43" tubing, it will hit the floor, but they’re tough suckers. Whereas with the short tubing, the site may pull out.

Sleeping is absolutely no problem at all. I have woken up to find the pump dangling off the side of the bed, with no problem. Cats, on the other hand…

I hope you enjoy pumping. There IS a steep learning curve, and it’s NOT a magic answer to diabetes, but for me, at least, it makes a lot of issues easier, like not having to do as much math in my head, and, because I have a CGM as well, screaming at me when I really need to be doing something about my BG and not simply ignoring it!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hi Natalie. I really would reconsider that six days on a site because of the scarring issue. Two or three days are plenty. I know it’s less convenient and more expensive to cut down on the number of days, but losing whole areas of your body for use as sites is far worse.

Re the tubing, I use 23" tubes, w/ the Silhouette infusion sets. I also have a CGM which seems to want the pump hanging on the same side it is so I started doing my belt backwards, coiling the spare tube around the open end of my belt and then hang the pump on the other side from the infusion set, near the CGM. There’s usually a belt loop there that the open end of the belt can get tucked into so the tube is very secure. I have pulled a couple of sets out, maybe 2 or 3 in just over 3 years of pumping so it doesnt happen too much.

The Silhouette sets seem a bit stickier to me and you might like to try them to see if they might feel more secure. There’s this stuff called Opsite Flexfix tape that is a lot stronger than IV3000 if you need some tape. I also like it b/c it comes in a roll that seemed to last a year pretty precisely. I use it for the CGM but, a couple of times, I trimmed off some thinner strips to stick down loose corners of an infusion set when the sticky stuff gets worked a bit loose by something.

Damon,

The great thing about TuDiabetes is that you get to learn from others, rather than find things out the hard way! Anyway, in case you didn’t get enough feedback already, here’s mine:

First the portion attached to me, can it easily be pulled out? For example I have a small 2 year old and a 7 year old can they hook it and pull it out rather easy?

I have had, on rare occasions, the cannula pull partially out of my skin while the adhesive was still attached. This was in my earlier days of pumping, though, so perhaps I wasn’t as skilled at inserting it. You don’t get an alarm of any kind, the insulin just puddles up on top of the skin, or just beneath the top layer. I should clarify by saying that I use the Silouhette sets, which put the cannula in on an angle and is probably more prone ot this than the QuickSet (or similar).

Second can I sleep on this same area with out stopping the flow of insulin in?

You won’t stop the flow of insulin. I have found though, when I use the back of my hip (upper butt area) that it tends to get sore if I sleep on my back, and then my blood sugars may rise over time (less absorption?). Depending on your body shape/weight, I wouldn’t suggest putting it in a place where you put a lot of weight on it, but when I use my abdomen and sleep on my stomach, I have no problems at all.

Also they sent me quick sets which are 24" long I believe, trying to figure out if its better to get longer tubing or if it just gets in the way?

Longer tubing! I made this change almost immediately. It certainly is more practical when using the restroom or even when getting dressed. It’s also easier to operate the pump as you can move it in front of your face rather than strain your neck. And I’m not particularly tall at 5’7". II generally wear the pump in a cell-phone case on my belt, and tuck the excess tubing inside the waistband of my pants (outside of the underwear). Not only is it out of the way, but if the exposed tubing gets tugged or caught on something, that extra length is a bit more forgiving and allows you to recover before pulling on the infusion set. Which brings me to…

And last, do I have to worry about the sticky factor on the quick set? It seems to be attached well, but taking showers, and sweating does it lose this factor, should I invest in the new IV3000 set to help keep it in place?

Nah. I don’t use the IV3000 or any IV prep at all. I just clean the area with alcohol and put the set on (again, I use the Silouhette). What I do though, is just past the infusion set I make a small half-loop and put the paper medical tape across it (the loop is like the letter “A” with a rounded top, the tape is the cross bar). This give me a bit of “tension relief”, first in the slack between the infusion set and the tape, and second between the tape and the pump. If the tubing gets yanked, I feel it where the tape is and not where the infusion site is, which is much less painful, less worrysome, and easier to fix. I’ll try to upload a picture below (it’s my first attempt at uploading a picture here, I hope it works!) The tape doesn’t stick for long though, once you peel it off or it gets wet, it’s done.

Oh, and make sure the tubing doesn’t cross itself! Otherwise you’ll find a nice irritating indentation where the intersection presses into your skin!

Hi Damon,

I have to say dito to all the comments regarding length and sticking to my body, Great suggestions.

Your intial statement was how you love not having to do all the math calculations. I agree my 723 does it for me. But, I have notice 1.5 years into using the pump, my math skills are weaking. I would need to get a calculator out of the drawer to help me do the math, without the pump.

Best of luck to you. dargirl

When I started pumping in 1999, we were taught to always make a safety loop like that. I’ve gotten out of the habit, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t still a good idea! :slight_smile:

Hi Damon

To answer your questions:

First the portion attached to me, can it easily be pulled out? For example I have a small 2 year old and a 7 year old can they hook it and pull it out rather easy?

I wouldn’t say “easily” pulled out, but I have had many infusion sets get pulled out since I got my pump in 1998. I have one pair of jeans with kind of an edge where the waistband is sewed, and if I wear these and the infusion set is in my hip, as I stand up and sit down and the waistband moves around it has ripped out my infusion sets. The white sticky tape stays attached but the plastic circle gets separated from it. I have also had problems with sets getting ripped out during pilates. Sounds like this is just a problem for me. :slight_smile:

Second can I sleep on this same area with out stopping the flow of insulin in?

Yes, but sometimes mine get sore if there’s alot of pressure on it. Still works though.

Also they sent me quick sets which are 24" long I believe, trying to figure out if its better to get longer tubing or if it just gets in the way?

I use the longer tubing, 43" I think? I am only 5’2" but I like the longer cord so I can place the pump under my pillow while I sleep and still be able to flip around without getting tangled. I also like to hook it on a tall boot if I need to.

And last, do I have to worry about the sticky factor on the quick set? It seems to be attached well, but taking showers, and sweating does it lose this factor, should I invest in the new IV3000 set to help keep it in place?

My skin is super sensitive so I use skin prep and then the IV 3000 because the adhesive in the quick set irritates my skin and this provides a barrier. If you can handle the quick set by itself, go for it!