New to pumping

i will be getting my frist pump in Jan. Is there any thing that i need to be on the look out of in the frist few weeks?

Thanks Greg

I highly recommend the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh. It is a clear explanations of everything you need to know to start on the pump. It was a huge help when I started 4 years ago!

Also, this community can be a huge help! Feel free to ask any questions here!

Thanks Kristin. i will loof for the book.

I totally agree with Kristin. Get the book now and read from cover to cover.

When you get your pump play with your pump and the software. The more comfortable you are with the pump and the software the less stress you will be in when you actually start using the pump.

Which pump will you start on Greg?

i will be starting with the Anums 2020. the ping is not in canada yet.

Thanks that sound like good advice.

I’ve only been on a pump since September of this year and a newly diagnosed T2 in July. It took a couple of weeks to get the pump fine tuned. So at first it could be frustrating.

THIIS IS THE BEST ADVICE,I HAVE HAD MY PUMPON FOR LESS THAN
4 HOURS. DURING MY TRAINING SESSION THE NUSE PRACTICIONER WOULD TRY TO TEACH MEON USING AND I WAS AHEAD OF HER.WHEN SHE GOT STUCK I TOLD HER HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM OR WHERE THE MISTAKE HAPPENED. THE MORE YOU PRACTICE THE LESS STRESSFUL IT WILL BE…

Greg: Welcome to pumpland! Just pay attention to the training and ask ANY question whether you think it’s stupid or not. Ask a second time if you have to. Takes notes. Read the books BEFORE you get the pump going and don’t panic if there is info about it in there that may not apply to your regimen of treatment. Take your BG readings VERY OFTEN. My doctor said 6-8 times per day and more if you feel funky. By funky, I mean either high OR low. Above all, get the telephone number of a (company) nurse or educator. Make sure your doctor is familiar with working with the pump because he cannot help you if he doesn’t work with them often. My doctor has totally written my diabetes care off to the endocrinologist. Lastly, and you’re already doing this, make sure to talk to other pumpers as time goes on and situations present themselves. Lois La Rose

the pump is absolute heaven sent! i have had the pump since i was ten. it takes a couple weeks to get used to but it’s so much better than those needles. i love mine. just be patient with it and ask any question you have to the person teaching you about it when you first get it.

you’ll love it!

Thanks Mary.
Things are getting better every day.

Hi. I’m just starting on my pump tomorrow! I have it and I’ve been looking at it over the weekend. I would love to open the infusion set that came with it just to fiddle around with it too but not sure if I was supposed to so I didnt. Anyway, I’m being set up with the saline tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve been T1 for 22 years and I really think that chinging to the pump is going to change my life for the better. I just hope that I havent pinned all my hopes on it bringing down my HbA1c… I know that it wont do it on its own, it takes a lot of work but I’m prepared for it. I’ve been really working hard on my HbA1c for over a year now. Had it at 6.9 but its now 7.7.
I’ll be on this website more looking for advice so I’m thanking you all in advance!

Just got approved for a pump today. Excited and apprehensive both. Should get it next week.

Hi everybody !

I am finally on pump. After long time trying, I am finally there. Friend of mine lend me his old MM 508, so now I am on pump. It feels great… I am still getting used to it…

My doctor will send another note to insurance company in few months and I will finally get my own pump, but for now I have this…

Andy

Great news Andy!! Is your doctor helping you set basal rates etc? Do you have the book “Pumping insulin” by John Walsh???

Yes I have it… I had it for last few years…

My doctor set my basal rates and I am in contact with him every few hours (just for first few days)…

Andy