New to this site

Hi This is Nadine and I am new to this site. Finally switching to pump after 48 years of shots. OmniPod has been suggested by my Dr. Any info on the transition to a pump or the OmniPod system would be appreciated. I am not all that proficient with technology. Thanks for any suggestions.

2 Likes

If you are not comfortable with terms like insulin to carb ratio, basal insulin, bolus insulin, insulin sensitivity factor, duration of insulin action, and pre-bolus, I would recommend doing some reading. A good book to start with is Think Like a Pancreas by Scheiner.

In the end, most of the current pumps offered are simply fancy syringes. Your knowledge of insulin therapy will be what drives the success of your therapy. The “human software” is the most crucial component of using a pump well. Good luck!

In that spirit, I would download the user’s guide to the pump you want and read it cover to cover at least twice.

1 Like

Transitioning in your tools is always frustrating and requires a learning curve. Hang in there. You have been diabetic for a long time, so I am confident that you will be able to do this as well as anyone. I have, personally, had a lot of good success with Omnipod, compared with other pumps.

Hi, Nadine3. Your welcoming committee has a cake.

1 Like

Ha ha…thank you for the warm welcome Robert

1 Like

Hi, Nadine.

I second Terry’s book suggestion!

My son was diagnosed 11 years ago, he’s now 15. He’s used OmniPod for almost that entire time, but has also used a medtronic pump. Between the two of them I personally think the OmniPod is more simplistic and user friendly, but maybe that’s because it’s what we grew up on. Caleb was able to adapt to medtronic easily and became quickly proficient such that I don’t even remember how to do site changes and I get frustrated if I have to make any settings adjustments - so I don’t!

I say dive right in! I presume you need to translate your background insulin to a basal profile, and unless you know of greater needs at one point in the day (like dawn phenomenon) they you would start with the same rate over 24 hours. Carb ratios and correction factors you must already be using?

I wouldn’t be intimidated by the technology at all. It’s straightforward and given 48 years of experience, you’ve got the hard part down. Like Terry said, it’s just a fancy syringe.

Thanks Lorraine. What I have found hard is learning the new language. You explaining things in simple, understandable terms makes me feel less anxious. I guess I just learned how my body reacts to different foods and insulins and went with it over the years. You have to realize when I started as a 10 year old, I was taught to test my urine and used a glass needle that had to be sterilized with each use. I’ve lived through many changes in treatment through the years, but am naturally resistant to change. Having never really talked much about all of the new developments with other diabetics, I am not familiar with the techno terms. But I am getting there thanks to people like you. I really appreciate your input and intend to buy the book. Thanks again!

I get it! As least to some extend. When Caleb was diagnosed, he was using NPH as his background insulin and Novolog for breakfast. The goal was to minimize injections bc he was 3. NPH peaked and covered his lunch, and once he started using insulin, his body used it really efficiently and he didn’t even need it for dinner. Pumping was a BIG change for him/us in many respects.

I know someone who used OmniPod literally like a syringe - she did not use the bolus calculator or really any of the settings. So meal time came and she calculated her dose manually and just delivered it. To me, that defeated a huge reason to pump - to take some of the thinking out of it - but that was her doctor’s advice and actually might be a way to ease the transition.

The biggest difference from injections to pumping for Caleb was background insulin - a unit of NPH was not the same as a unit of Novolog. When he started pumping he needed about double the insulin than what he used on injections. However, he was three, newly diagnosed (four months) and was using less than 2 units a day - so not necessarily an example of what to expect.

That would be me, except I use minimed pump! But it works for me because most of the time, I prepare my own meals, and as I prepare it, it is different foods, but approximately same makeup of carbs, proteins, fats. High in low carb veggies, some fats and proteins in every meal. Then I watch dexcom, and add more insulin, or eat more as needed.

2 Likes