New TSA Security Procedures, effective Oct. 29

Last month, i was flying thru PA and at security they made me take out my pump and then swab my hands and arms along with a pat down. It was quite annoying. My Minimed never sets off alarms. They security officers told me to just disconnect, but I’m not going to do that. What if I’m in the middle of a bolus? I can’t believe that they do this for pumps.

Thanks, Mikey. Going to make sure all my syringes are in their original sealed bags. Flown in the past with loose syringes in my purse & carry on.

That’s good to know. I’ll be making a trip out of MCO in a few months and was scanning through this to see if I should take the extra step of removing my Ping and placing it in carry on luggage before I go through the scanners.

Back from Boston and two experiences with the new TSA procedures. Anyone who sets off the metal detector gets a new, more vigorous body search. As for the OmniPod, they asked to see it, asked me to pat it and then they swabbed my hands. No big deal actually but the search was very brisk and obtrusive and left no stone unturned, afterwards I thought I might have to tip the TSA agent who was clearly uncomfortable with the new procedure. Result? A little more of my time wasted. Think ahead if you can so at least you can show the pod without a major stripping exercise. My titanium hip is what set off the detector, I’d be curious if Pod wearers without other metal on them trip the alarm.

According to the TSA website they CANNOT ask you to disconnect, and if they do, you are to tell them it is connected to you through a cannula under the skin and can’t be taken off. They can be asked to visually inspect/swab, but you shouldn’t have to disconnect. If I were asked to disconnect, I’d ask to talk to the TSA ground commissioner (supervisor).

That’s fine if you were ok disconnecting, but their website says they can’t make you disconnect - that you need to tell the agent it’s connected to you with a catheter under the skin. I personally will not be inconvenienced and disconnect for even a moment (what if I’m in the middle of an extended bolus). For me, it’s about the principle of the thing. They don’t ask people with prosthetic legs to take them off, why ask me to take off my pancreas? I print out the page from the TSA website that states they can’t make me disconnect and carry it with me, in the case that I’ll ever be asked to do so.

This is all BS I agree, but eventually if they let up on inspecting devices like the pump the real troublemakers will simply exploit that “Medical excuse” to start using similar devices to hide anything they want, A real insulin pump with who knows what in the insulin cartridge or a modified pump capable of doing pretty much anything. I definitely would never disconnect if the procedure/website specifically mentions they cannot ask me to disconnect, this would make it all that much more uncomfortable for the security personnel I am sure but I agree with what another said about the prosthetic limbs, anyone could hide a myriad of harmful substances in one yet anyone wearing them is never asked to remove it, much alone swabbed or given a pat down. Equality for all right? If they actually start doing their job as thoroughly as they should be, NO ONE would ever get anywhere from the delays…“8 flights per day non-stop” would turn into “once daily, maybe less, bring your sleeping bag”.

I’ve been through the new security procedure a few times now, having traveled all of last week. Granted not yet with the pump (I start pumping on Friday)’ but I go through it do to my knee replacement. I actually think it is faster and really not much more invasive. They swab large areas now. Arms, waist, inner and outer legs, bra outline for women, etc. No more wand. Then they check their gloves for explosive residue. It actually was quicker skipping the wand.

I’ve flown four times since the new procedure and haven’t been stopped once. I pull my shirt out so it covers my pump, make sure every scrap of metal is out of my pocket and in my backpack and breeze through. I was travelling like crazy on the West coast days before the election so I went through checkpoints at San Francisco, Las Vegas and Denver. I also flew from Portland to Washington DC later and, once again, hardly broke stride going through security.

Did you let the airline know before booking of your need for special accommodation due to a medical condition; asthma? And, if so, were you in agreement on the steps the airline said they would take to accommodate you?

If you did not let them know in advance then, however rude, the flight attendant was right. If you feared for your health you needed to get of that plane before the doors were closed for departure. In fact, I think they should have gone farther and required that you leave the plane; can you imagine what the costs would have been if you got really sick in flight in they had to make an unscheduled landing? Would you have been OK with a bill for $250,000?

Finally, do you understand that if the flight attendant would have used the albuterol inhaler it would have been considered an emergency and the entire plane would have been grounded, the paramedics and police called, and you would have been removed from the flight…which again sounds like the airline’s only procedural mistake here.

Sorry to sounds harsh but we all have to take a measure of responsibility for our own situation.

I would also add to anyone who uses the “I don’t look like a terrorist” reasoning that more act of terrorism have been committed by white malesthen any other group in the states. Unless you don’t consider lynchings, church bombings, shooting doctors, blowing up medical clinics, and the OKC bombing terrorism.

Every thing implemented by TSA has just been window dressing. Just gives false security remember where there is a will there is a way.

NOBODY has the right to put their hands on me against my will. Therefore I will not fly. If someone puts their hands on me, then somebody is going to jail.

Agreed.

Of course when you fly you GIVE permission to be searched so you are still free to book those tickets to the Caymans :slight_smile:

Seriously, you are also subject to search (and give your implied consent) when entering many government buildings, nearly all mods of public transportation, high value/risk private buildings, military installations, and some special high risk zones such as airports (even if not flying or going through security).

I don’t mind any precautions that are taken because it reassures me that it is safe or an attempt to be safe. It would be one thing if they DIDN’T let you fly at all with supplies. It reminds me of getting a drug test at work. I was so mad that they would assume I would do illegal drugs at work. But actually they test everyone. And it felt good knowing that other people I work with weren’t high on drugs at work. Much safer that way. Especially when carrying heavy objects with co-workers. It’s not that hard to give a urine sample. No big deal. So at the Airport you might feel violated and think how dare they assume I’m a terrorist. But it is a simple thing to go through knowing that people on your flight were screened. Like I said earlier the Christmas day bomber used a medical syringe to hold explosive fluids. So obviously there is a fear of liquids and syringes. An insulin pump is even more complex. The taking your shoes off and getting pumps swabbed is a small price to pay. It only takes a minute or two at most. It’s not like they make you disconnect and mail the insulin pump separately or hook you up to a lie detector machine. That would be extreme. Better safe than sorry.

Hey before going thru security do you let them know you have a pump on or what??? I’ve done both and only once was padded down. Most the time i just slide on thru but flying out of pa to fl december so I appreciate this discussion. I usually barely make take off so now I’ll plan on giving myself some extra time. I bring my insulin which has the script written on the box but don’t have any documentation for pump and supplies. Is that needed???

I’ve never needed documentation for pump and pump supplies. Then again, I’ve never needed documentation for any supplies but do bring the Rx labels for syringes, and insulin since the liquids rule.

I’ve also done it both ways. I’ve easily gone through without showing the pump, except for the one time an agent noticed the tubing going into my pocket. He very nicely asked me to always show it when I go through in the future. Since then I always have, and only recently have been screened for explosives at some airports even when the alarm doesn’t go off. It takes extra time, like 5-20 minutes depending on the agent/volume. Most are professional and know exactly what a pump is, but if you catch one having a bad day and you don’t show it then you might be worse off for the wear…

Ben Franklin said it best “those who sacrifice liberty for security will get neither.” I’ve been doing some interesting reading on the ACLU site concerning the TSA and the airport security process. There are complaint forms as well as forms directing those responsible for security to come up with something reasonable that isn’t overly intrusive. I’m scheduled to fly from Philadelphia to Albuquerque and back in early December. I’ve gotten more hassles in the past because of my CPAP than my diabetic supplies and haven’t needed to produce a Doctors note explaining the necessity of vairous medical supplies I have in my carryon luggage. I will be taking an empty water bottle with me through security and then fill it up. I will also be sure to bring TSA’s own guidelines concerning medical supplies with me also. I will also be prepared to document anything that goes beyond the bounds of propriety. I am also strongly considering taking the train next time; too bad it takes 2 days each way and costs more.