New Type 2 in Colorado

Hi everyone. My name is Dan and on October 8, I was officially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with an A1C of 11.1! But, back on September 24, when I went to see my eye doctor because of blurred vision, I became very aware of the fact that I was diabetic. My optometrist asked if there was diabetes in my family and I told her yes. She said that I should get test. But that question finally got me to think about what issues I had been going through for most of September and I finally put 1 and 1 together. I had the unending thirsts and frequent urination, the rapid weight loss and finally the blurred vision. Not sure why I didn’t realize this sooner. I had lost 15 pounds and couldn’t figure out why and I was not overweight though I was on the border.

On that day, September 24, I immediately went on a low-carb diet. About 3-4 days later, all my symptoms were gone, my near-sightedness went away but I had far-sightedness. I now understand why as it was explained to me by my optometrist. I had blood work officially done about 9 days later. The results? 11.1 A1C and 223 fasting blood glucose. So, in the short time I had started my low carb diet, my average had already come down from the 270 range to the 220.

I met with my doctor on October 8. I was expecting that I would at a minimum be put on oral meds. But, because he saw that I was proactive in changing my diet, he told me he was confident I could get blood glucose control via diet and exercise. He also encouraged me to take some supplements including the Carlson Nutra-Support for Diabetes. I was thrilled that he was giving me the option to get control through diet and exercise. I have since confirmed his confidence in me.

Following Dr. Bernstein’s diet, my blood glucose average is 114 which would allow me to join the 5% club! Outside of 2 readings out of about 60 since I started testing myself, my blood glucose rarely tops 120, even after meals. My readings are usually between 92 - 115 though sometimes at dinner with my bigger meals, I will go into the 120’s. My doctor is thrilled and feels I can do even better since I haven’t really kicked in my exercise program yet. All of this has been done just with the diet.

At first I felt like I would be miserable being on this diet and the significant restrictions but lately, I have come to enjoy it. I look for what I can eat vs what I can’t and I have been introduced to foods I had never eaten before like spaghetti squash. Man I love that stuff! I make my own meals for work and when my wife and I do go out to eat, I go for a nice juicy steak, salad and steamed veggies. I am growing to appreciate and love this diet!

Per Dr. Bernstein’s recommendation, I got the Accu-Check Aviva and I love this meter! I purchased the software that comes with it and I email the graphs and reports it creates to my doctor. He really appreciates getting them and feels he can get a great view of how I am responding to the diet.

When I was diagnosed, the first thing I thought was, oh no, I have to poke myself! I have a fear of needles so I stressed up to the day I got my meter. But, using the lancer device, I have found that it doesn’t hurt at all. In fact, my doctor gave me a schedule that would have me testing 22 times in a week with more testing done on some days than others. Well, I am testing on average 6 times a day! So, thankfully the fear I had was not necessary and I love being able to see where I am at at various times of the day. I’m looking forward to testing out some different foods after I complete my first month of testing.

I feel this diet and this information has saved my life and will give me a much better quality of life going forward. I do not need to fear this disease, just have a healthy respect for it and do what I have to do to control it. I’m up to the task as I have plenty of motivation to stay healthy (wife of 29 years, 3 grown kids and 3 beautiful grandchildren)! I happen to have a great doctor who fully supports what I am doing. In the end, it is each individual’s responsibility to manage their disease and to do their research. In 5 weeks I have gotten my blood glucose under control. Maybe 5 weeks isn’t the norm, but the point is that you CAN get your levels under control in a short amount of time with this diet, if you stick to it faithfully.

I have been lurking on this website for a few weeks and I look forward to reading your input and possibly providing some input as well.

Today, I am 22 pounds lighter and was able to buy new jeans with a 36 waist, down from a 38 Smiley Everyone says I look great and I have lost about 7 pounds since going on this diet. I plan to drop down another 10 pounds to about 175 on this 6’2" frame.

So, that is my story. I’m excited about the changes, I feel better than I have all my life and my wife and kids tell me that I am more stable emotionally (laid back) now that my blood sugars aren’t out of control. My vision is almost completely back to normal and I no longer need my reading glasses! What seemed like a tragedy 5 weeks ago has turned into a great opportunity to take care of myself and I am doing great!

wow, Daniel, great! keep up the good work.

Daniel;

Keep up the great work and hang in there!

I just wanted to mention a couple of great diabetes resources here in Colorado. The first is the University of Colorado Hospital’s Endocrinology/Diabetes Clinic. It sounds like you’ve found a great doc but if you are looking for other medical resources and if your insurance will allow it, I’d highly recommend checking out UCH, their physicians and especially the diabetes educators and nutrionists are incredible! Second is the American Diabetes Association who maintains a local office in Denver and they have some great resources both nationally and at the local level. On the local level, there are two things coming up that you may be interested in. The first of those is Step Out “Walk to Fight Diabetes” which is this Saturday at the Downtown Aquarium. While this is a fundraising event, there will also be lots of information available as well and opportunities to network with other folks with diabetes in the Red Striders (participants with diabetes) tent. More information about Step Out can be found here: http://diabetes.org/stepout. The second event is a little further out but something you definitely don’t want to miss as a newly diagnosed type 2. That event is the ADA’s Diabetes Expo which is March 27, 2010 at the Colorado Convention Center. Expos are an amazing place to find out more than you ever imagined possible. Last year about 8000 people attended. You can find out more about Expo here: http://diabetes.org/expo

Disclaimers: I have been a patient at UCH since I was diagnosed with type 1 in 2001. I am a active volunteer with the Denver office of the American Diabetes Association.

Congratulations! That Colorado air must have given you some extra good oxygen, too! Don’t forget to figure ahead how you’re going to stop dropping once you hit 175!
It’s fun to see someone learn from Dr. Bernstein, & tell the results. You inspire all of us!

Mike, thanks for the encouraging words and the information about resources in Colorado.

Please don’t be offended, but frankly I don’t trust the ADA and its guidelines for diabetics and neither does my doctor. I think the recommended diet and blood glucose levels from the ADA are a disservice to diabetics and in many cases only keep diabetics sick. I’m not trying to start an argument. If the ADA diet and target levels are working for some people, that is great. But I’m convinced that for a majority of diabetics, their diet and target levels are harmful.

I am following a diet plan that is counter to the ADA diet recommendations (low-carb) and I believe that is why I have come close to returning to normal blood glucose levels. If a friend were to tell me they were just diagnosed with diabetes, I would not recommend to them to get their information about the disease from the ADA.

Again, not trying to start an argument, but I don’t support the ADA at this point.

Dan

Leona, thank you. I know there are those here and on other forums that consider Dr. Bernstein a crack-pot, but I am not one of them. I don’t want to start a debate about him and his recommendations as I see there have been other threads about him and his diet recommendations, but I believe they are instrumental in my blood glucose levels returning to near normal.

My wife is an RN and sees diabetics all the time who are in advanced stages of diabetic complications who are following the ADA diet recommendations and she felt I was going down the right path to health in following the low-carb diet. If I can help anyone to better blood glucose levels and good health through advancement of low-carb diets, I will be glad to share how I achieved my success. I would like all diabetics to attain this level of success.

Obviously, the results speak for themselves and I can’t wait to get my next A1C as I am confident, based on my testing results, that I will be in the 5% range and I couldn’t be happier. My doctor is now working to help me get to the low end of the 5% range, all through diet and exercise.

Dan;

No offense taken. The ADA has some very broad recommendations, those are NOT the resources I am talking about. Those recommendations, which any of us or our medical teams can choose to use or not. I believe they are intentionally broad to cover the bases for the general conditions not for an individual. Those I’m talking about are the other things that the ADA offers people with diabetes here in Colorado. Diabetes Expo is one where there are hundreds of pharmas, clinics, physicians, suppliers, etc represented all in one place where you can CHOOSE who to talk and what to get more information on. Personally, as a specific person with type 1 diabetes, my medical team and I choose not to go with the ADA’s guideline for A1C. I can and do keep my A1C well under 6 without issue for long periods of time. The key here is everyone is different, I have never met two people with diabetes (type 1 or type 2) that are successfully managing their condition in exactly the same manner.

Mike, I appreciate the clarification and I do see where an event such as the Diabetes Expo can be a benefit for all diabetics. I will definitely plan to attend! Glad to see that we have access to such resources here in Colorado/Denver. And I am definitely not against participating in events such as the Walk to Fight Diabetes. I guess I focused too much on the mention of the ADA and that was the purpose of my response.

Again, thanks for the information and I like the idea of being able to network with fellow diabetics in this area!

Dan;

The last words of your last sentence are the most important. Before I started attending ADA events here in CO, I had one personal friend with diabetes that I could network with. Now I have dozens. As much as I appreciate all of the Internet networking and information, F2F networking with people with your condition is invaluable! Whether you find these personal links through the ADA, your doctor’s office or wherever, make them!

great stuff all around. good on you for all the hard work and great results. keep it up