New video on T1D in the New York Times

Interesting, I wonder if thats why certain people can function just fine with a BG in the 30s, but other people pass out in the 40s

It seems that might be the case. I know I function much better at say 55 or 60 than I did a couple of years ago. Not that I like to go down that far, but when it does happen my thinking seems to be fine, whereas in the first couple years after diagnosis my brain would be really foggy.

Same here. My dad is a T2 and went low behind the wheel. He was freaking out and told me to take over. We get home and we both check, He was 68, I was at 57. Whoops lol

I had a 42 yesterday and I was pretty messed up, my mouth was numb, spots in my vision, ugh..it was bad. They can't be good for us same as highs, continuous are bad too.

I understand that brains can function well on ketones,

This is a prime example of posts that go off-topic! We have covered an incredible range of topics that have absolutely nothing to do with the NYTimes article. But all very interesting:-)

I'm guilty, as charged. I've enjoyed the the digressions; perhaps others don't.

this is still on topic, the NY Times article was about a family and their daughter's struggles with type 1 diabetes, which includes lows and hypo-unawareness. thus many just sharing their own experiences...it's what 'we do'.

lol

I saw the video just now I saw it mentioned yesterday and bookmarked it. I confess right now I haven't read the previous 20+ pages or even skimmed them yet but it seems overly dramatic. I'm looking into narrowing down a choice of pump this month and am liking the fact that I might be covered for a CGM. The warning trend alerts will be a nice thing to have access to. I'm glad my parents had better point of view and positive attitude towards my ability to learn how to cope with my diabetes without them hovering or stalking me. How on earth do you train a dog to recognize low BG from behavior signals? Kinda eerie but a cool thing. I've heard the stories of dogs dialing 911 for an owner who passed out from a low sugar. I don't have much info to go with on the story but I hope her Mother can reduce her worry level although very understandable.

I am having a hard time trying to imagine my mother's reaction to the huge amount of thingamagigs that come along with learning about diabetes control and pumps all at once. I'm going to have a bit of an adjustment getting onto using a pump. I'll have to read the article more fully but also have been able to test my blood sugar at levels I should be unconscious at. Someone else refered to that on page 1 of the discussion.

Damn it, Terry. Where'd your basal plot go, I know I saw it yesterday. Was gonna try and translate my 10 u morning correction into something analogous in pump dosages and compare it to your to see if it was similar.

Thats awesome

Re the dogs, I believe you get low and harvest some saliva. They then train the dogs to alert on that peculiar scent and then, when you get low, the dog barks at you or does whatever they do.

That was a horrible combo.... Was so happy when my doc switched me to UltraLente and Humalog. That combo worked much better for me. But even better??? An insulin pump!

lol x2

i love it. like a conversation.

Bear in mind that being the parent of a young child with Type 1 is very different from being the child with Type 1 or the adult with Type 1. The child becomes stoic, strong and brave, adjusts to the diagnosis, has to come to grips with it emotionally in order to survive. The parent may never do so, may never accept it fully. I noticed the teen looked embarrassed as the Mom goes into details about the supplies. Mom is educating the public so they will hopefully donate to find a cure. That is her motivation and I applaud her for it. But I would cool it in front of the kid. This does not give the child the message that they can do anything, despite diabetes. And a service dog that sleeps during the night? Hell to the no! I would need quite the reverse.

I thought about what you guys said. Since T is just doing minor adjustments on data that is pretty well behaved, that might work well for him. But, the more variation you have, the larger your sample size should be. Three days of data and then adjusting would increase the variability in my system. That just wouldn't cut it. Its a bad rule.

I think Ning ate it! Check on page 20 of this thread.

The timing looks kinda similar, but I'm gonna need a greater increase in insulin over a shorter period of time. Thanks.

1 Like