Newbie- type 1, athlete and....weight gain?!

2 kgs is good though! i have heard horror stories of t1's with higher insulin doses and put on weight.

I was diagnosed three years ago and lost about 15 pounds initially. I gained back about 6-7 and have maintained that weight. I am a runner and I do follow a pretty strict low carb diet. At first following the low carb diet was a little restricting. But over the last year I have researched many low carb recipe blogs and have learned to cook and bake an array of very delicious and satisfying food while maintaining my low carb goals. My pancreas is kaput so no more honeymoon for me. Still, I have kept my insulin needs the same for the last year. I do take Metformin as well. I started on that when misdiagnosed and have remained on it with my Doctor's blessing. In any event, I actually have never felt healthier or stronger and will be running my first half marathon in a few weeks.

half marathon awesome drsoosie! how many carbs do you have a day?

I'll second timmy's way to go drsoosie!!

re carbs. My friend is a P90X afficianado and when the subject comes up, a lot of what he's done (http://teamdetermination.com/, *I'm not selling this but the pic is pretty funny...*) has to do with timing carbs, he eats them before he works out in the AM and not after 5:00 or something along those lines, going along w/ their program. I am sort of the opposite as I don't eat that many in the AM but usually hit them at night?

What I've noticed for the races I've run is that while many people load up on pre-race pasta, it's not entirely useful. My CGM suggests that if I load up right before, a couple of pieces of toast, and fuel with Gatorade, etc. during the race, I'll do ok? Most of the time, I eat a big lunch the day before, something "sturdy" like brown rice w/ chicken and veggies, sort of take it easy and relax maybe a light snack at bedtime and then relatively normal breakfast and will be good to do. I had horrible cramps in my calves at the marathon but I think I ran too fast when it was hot out and just got carried away with adrenaline. All the 1/2s, I've been pleased with my results and that plan 1) keeps me from gaining weight too much and 2) keeps me out of the porta-potties, not somewhere I want to spend race day!

Hi Timmy! I probably consume an average of 50-80 a day depending. Some days lower than that. But I am not food deprived in any way. I make bread and cookies using alternative flours such as almond meal and coconut flour. It's amazing what you can make with these kinds of substitutions. I eat really whole natural food and this seems to work well for me. Like I said, my weight has been stable for three years and counting. I find eating low carb (for me) keeps my insulin needs level, my blood glucose predictable and my weight stable.

I know there is a lot of controversy among the D community about low carbing. I suppose you should read both sides of the coin and find what works for you. In the end, it's an individual disease and everyone responds to different things differently. But I think as an athlete who is concerned about weight you should look into it. If you are interested I can share some of the blog sites I visit for recipes.

Im super excited for the half. I have already run the distance on my own but look forward to doing with other peeps!!

Thank you Acidrock!!!