Newly diagnosed in a foreign country

I’m hoping someone can give me some pointers. I was just recently diagnosed and have been scouring the internet for resources and answers. I keep reading about everyone having a “team”. Who is on that team? What kind of doctor do I need to find - an endochinologist? I’m driving up to Texas this weekend to buy a glucose meter - but there are a million different types and I’m just trying to narrow down the search a bit before I get there - any suggestions? I only speak a little spanish which I’m finding is a dangerous thing. I went alone to the hospital to get tests done and it was very stressful with limited spanish and hardly any medical spanish. Right now I’m being treated by the doctor who works at the school where I teach and asking around about diabetes specialists but not getting very far. If anyone can help, I would really help.


Hi Laurie. I know at the beginning all of this can seem very overwhelming. First of all, the diabetes care team is ususally comprised of an endocrinologist or Internal Medicine doctor, opthamologist, podiatrist, diabetes educator, and nutritionist. I also include my dentist in this category as well. I’m Type 2 also for a couple of years and I have been seeing an Internal Medicine doctor that has diabetes as a specialty. It is really up to you on which type you would prefer, but make sure they have recent training with Diabetes and are not out-dated. Also, you should see a nutritionist to help you tailor your diet to meet your needs. My Internal Medicine doctor checks out my feet, so you may or may not need an actual podiatrist. It is very important to get your eyes dilated and have a complete eye exam once a year. I’m in Texas and I think the Diabetes Centers of America are excellent places. They take care of everything related to your diabetes care. I know they have several locations, you might see if that might work for you. Believe me, it gets better. Best wishes.


You have Type 2 diabetes. Sadly, the team that is being described here is what is offered to people with Type 1. In the U.S. most people with type 2 are given NO care at diagnosis beyond a prescription for Metformin (maybe) and instructions to diet.

If you are paying for your own strips, buy one of the cheap, drugstore brand meters. The strips are less expensive but they work.

Then visit this site, and do what they suggest. I have seen hundreds of people use this strategy to normalize their blood sugar.

This is information that has been posted on the newsgroup for at least 5 years. It was written by a newsgroup participant named Jennifer.

This web site is mine (I’m NOT Jennifer, from the previous site, btw.) “What they don’t tell you about diabetes.” It is full of helpful information for anyone with Type 2.

If you can get a prescription for Metformin ER (extended release) it is very helpful for most people with diabetes because it cuts down insulin resistance. Current generally accepted practice recommendations are to start with this drug.

However, without cutting back on your carbs, the drug alone will NOT give you safe blood sugars. You’ll have to use your meter, as the a.s.d site suggests to find out what the safe amount of carbs is FOR you.

Hang in there. It is very doable. I get mail almost every day from people with Type 2 who have used this strategy to normalize their blood sugars. Normal blood sugars ==> normal health.

thanks so much for the input and suggestions! Very helpful.