Newly diagnosed type1 and LADA with 3 young kids

I agree that something isn’t right after eating a minimal dinner with high numbers. I am going to call the endocrinologist tomorrow and will update with what they say. I would love to preserve what little work my pancreas is still producing, however I am worried I am stressing it out by constantly having high numbers. Thanks again for all your advice and support.

i know. my endo, was wanting, to protect my pancreas, for as long, as she can, the advice jack, &
JustLookin, gave is good, & i agree, something is not right,.

hope everything, get work out,.

yes. standard of care would be short and long acting insulins. no glipizide.

The following is old, but good.

1 Like

Ask your dr about basal testing, it’s best to get this right or you will be chasing your tail with bolus

LADA is nothing more nor less than Type 1 diabetes with a different
pattern of onset. Glipizide and its relatives are not T1 medications.
You need a diagnosis and treatment plan that fit together. LADA and
glipizide (if the diagnosis is accurate), don’t.

There is debate about whether drugs such as glipizide may hasten the
end of the honeymoon. There is no debate about the fact that once the
honeymoon is finished, they are useless.

I have put a call into the endo dr. Thank you all for your concerns and guidence to help me get onto the right track in preserving my body as long as possible. I will update you as soon as I get a call back.

2 Likes

Cannot thank everyone enough! Endo agreed that glypizide should be taken off and that was only prescribed when they originally thought I had type 2, before I requested the antibody test. He is now prescribing a humalog & keeping me on the toujeo. Now I need to learn how to calculate the dosages for the fast acting & get accustomed to my workouts with it. I’m sure I will be back with many more questions to come. I had hopes of prolonging the pancreas and avoiding the fast acting insulin for a little while longer, but it looks as though we will be starting tomorrow.

2 Likes

that is very good, to hear, it was hard, for me, at 1st, to, calculate the dosages, & everything, but we here, to help, with any, questions,.

1 Like

That is excellent news. A very good example of how important it is to be knowlegeable and our own advocates. Sounds like the endo overlooked that you were still on glip.

He would have caught it, but beter soner than later.

Think like a pancrease, usong insulin, and bernsteins diabetes solutions are all excellent books to guide fine tuning insulin.

2 Likes