No Apologies. No Excuses. Just do it

Click over to my blog for the full text.

Unlike other diabetics, because of the DEFEND-2 trial I have been getting my A1C checked on a monthly basis instead of the normal 3-6 intervals. My A1C was 9.6 at diagnosis. I’ve posted about the A1C a few times…

I received my HbA1C back a couple days ago from the clinical trial. It’s a 4.9!! For the non-diabetics and non-meds that is freaking AWESOME. However, it’s right on track for me for the past year.

I’ll toot my own horn and say that I have hella good control. I count every carb. I don’t snack, I reserve simple sugars and candy only for times where I need a major corrections. I don’t each white bread, pasta, potatoes, starchy foods or drink alcohol. If you want my specific diet I’ve posted it here. I don’t vary more than 10-15 g of carbs away from this on any day and the only thing that ever changes is…

SuFu, PhD

Congrats! Fantastic results, good to see that what some call obsessing is worth it and pays off.

4.9 is awesome. I am a no med just diet and exercise and I’m in great shape but even still I am in my 6.x. I think it’s because I don’t go low at all… my blood sugar is never under 90 are rarely under 100. I don’t go over 140 after meals though.

Congrats. But I would note that we are all different. I believe that I have great control as well, but I’ll never get my A1c to 4.9%. My theoretical limit is perhaps 5.5%, which would correspond to an average blood sugar of below 90 mg/dl. I could never see getting my average blood sugar lower. Not going to happen, I can’t get my life and diet that tight and the risk of lows is too great. Everyone glycates differently, we all have different levels of control and we each have to find our own way. I think you are doing great.

I agree bsc that we are individualized and quite honestly there is pry no appreciable difference between a 4.9 and 5.5 (which is awesome btw). This was more about that if you set your mind to reaching your goals (mine being less than or equal to 5) you can do it.

Congrats!

Sometimes I envy people who are able to have such amazing A1c’s and still live a normal life.
But I know that I am on a good way and that 4.9 is not a goal for me as my days are way to irregular to follow a plan/system that does not contain much variation.

Actually, I shouldn’t complain too much since I expect my next A1c to be <6 (5.5 according to my meter’s current average bg) but since I can’t bring enough regularity into my life (due to classes/courses, hobbies, …), this A1c includes a lot of lows.

Do you have any advice for someone like me?

I here ya loud on clear on the irregularity. The way I have found to combat that is to pack your lunches. I cook 3-4 days worth of lunches and dinners when I have a night off. I put them in freezer bags, write the contents and carb count on the outside. I can either freeze them down or put them in the fridge and use them right away. I always have a cooler in the my car and just toss the food in if I know that I’m going to be busy. The other thing I always do is have packets of pre-drained tuna and single serving protein shake packets. If I’m stuck in a bad way atleast I have something that is high protein to get me by until I get to a solid meal. The last thing is if I am on the road (nightly with umpiring) or on a overnight trip I never eat fast food or chain restaurants. I always go to a place like WalMart or Hy-Vee or whatever place sells rotisserie chicken. I buy one of those, a loaf of bread, peanut butter and some apples. Since I have my cooler any chicken left over can be put in baggies and cooled. Healthy, high protein, low carb, quick and very filling meals. I eat a ton of peanut butter sandwiches (1 piece whole wheat bread (NEVER white) with 2 tbsp peanut butter (20 g carbs). Very filling and not a ton of carbs. The fat from the chunky peanut butter will also help you feel full longer especially with the slow digestion of whole wheat bread.

Hope that helps.

SuFu

Forgot, 5.5 is an AWESOME A1C. I am lucky with my 4.9 and obsessive compulsive about my eating so I don’t have too many lows. Most of the time if a person is this low they are having way too many hypoglycaemic events. Be careful of that. If you’re not having hypos and your A1C is 5.5, you are doing a helluva job!

Woo-hoo! Fabulous!