No change in A1c

I have been following intermittent fasting and very low carbohydrate diet for last 4 months. Lost around 6 kg of weight also. I am seeing changes in my daily sugar values of about 50 to 60 points but when I went to my physician and had lab work, my A1c and mean blood glucose is exactly the same as last time, not even a single point change. How is that possible, I am confused and discouraged :confused:

1 Like

Well, the first thing which comes to me is to ask what your physician said when you asked this question at your last meeting? My second question is what your last A1c test value was?

My physician said insulin sensitivity or insensitivity so I also asked then why my daily glucose values have decreased even without meds, no answer to that yet. My last value was 8.2.

It could be he was reading from the old lab work, because the new lab work wasnā€™t entered into your chart. This has happened to me. If you have access to online records, take a look. Check the date of the test and the value.

In any case, donā€™t get discouraged. A common mantra is, ā€œThe is a marathon, not a sprint.ā€

Youā€™re heading in the right direction. Keep up the excellent work!

1 Like

Ya I am not that discouraged ā€¦ i am continuing but I expected at least 0.2 or 0.3 difference and I asked her why it is exactly the same, she did not answer that :confused: the new one was like copied and pasted, no date or name, earlier ones were like proper reports with my information, this one was below the instructions from the doc.

@Sweet
When you are doing everything right and things donā€™t make sense you could be a misdiagnosed type 1 and not a type 2, 40% of type 1ā€™s are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first. I was for over 8 years.

If things keep not making sense you might request further lab work. First an Antibody Test. A positive is a sign you are a type 1, but some type 1ā€™s test negative but donā€™t make insulin and they donā€™t know why. And a C-peptide Test which tells how much insulin you are producing. A low or low normal is a sign of being a type 1. High or high normal is a sign of being a type 2. A type 2 still produces insulin but usually at a higher level because they arenā€™t utilizing it properly and the body tries to make more to make up for it.

Diets changes and medication can work at first because as a type 1 you still make some insulin for a while.

Iā€™m not saying you are, Iā€™m just saying to keep it in mind.

6 Tests to Determine Diabetes Type: Diabetes ForecastĀ®

My third question, which I should have thought of in my original post, is how much time elapsed between these A1c tests?

A decrease in your blood glucose levels does not cause the amount of glycated hemoglobin in your blood to drop immediately. It takes a period of time for this to happen which is why the A1c is viewed as an indicator of ā€œaverageā€ blood glucose.

However, this also means that if the tests are too close together, you may not see any change. My understanding is that a period of at least three months is recommended between consecutive tests.

I am not sure what that means. How complete a picture do you have of your blood glucose values during a 24 hour day?

As I started fasting, i was checking them 3 times a day initially. 50 to 60 points is that as even after taking metformin my fasting was around 200 but now without metformin it is 150 so that is 50 points difference. Time gap was of 9 months before two A1c.

I am fasting but not getting hypoglycemia so can it be type I ?

Hey Sweet, 1st thing that I told myself when I was diagnosed with T2 was ā€œthis isnā€™t going to go away anytime soon- Iā€™m in this for the longrun. I canā€™t be discouraged about any result that I get but I can always improveā€
So what can I tell you about your results, firstly that it didnā€™t go up. That is great news. Now you got to start breaking down how you are living. I do this by dividing my diabetic life into 3ā€¦ 1) Food intake 2)Medicine Intake and 3) Exercise. Iā€™ve been playing around with these 3 for more than 10 years now. And it changes all the time because we get older and also T2 changes with time. I can give you clues of what to look for but I can never be certain where you should look or change. But maybe look at your blood sugar 2 hours after eating. Good luck. BTW after more than 10 years my A1c has just returned to 6 for the 3rd time - itā€™s been floating between 6 and 7 all this time.

Thanks for encouraging ā€¦ I agree at least it did not go up :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Some people have mentioned this, but as humans, we want to see our good side, so we look in the flattering mirror. Maybe this is the reason for the seemingly better numbers, you are testing when your BS is better. To counteract our own bias, you should aim for consistency, and test for better control. From studies I have read, the best time to test is 60 to 90 minutes after your meal. Even better, test when you eat, and test 90 minutes afterward. Since your meal composition, and the highs created by it, are what you want to manage.

As for reducing those peaks, focus on tasty low-glycemic index food, in smaller amounts, so instead of 2 big meals, 4 little ones, or even 5 little ones.

As for bringing the numbers down in general, try exercise, or exercise more, or exercise better. Exercise is key to increasing your insulin sensitivity, and that will help your native insulin function better to bring down your A1c.

If any of this sounds like it might help, ask, and I can expand/explain more.

1 Like