No, really... I'm serious this time. Seriously

So in the past 6 months, I’ve moved 4 times to 4 different cities, started a new job, broke off an engagement (thankfully), started a new relationship (with the most amazing man), and now I’m commuting an hour and a half one way to my job while I look and interview for a new one closer to home. To say that my life has been stressful lately is an understatement. Add the beets to the mix and what do you get? Meltdowns! YAY!

Before any of this happened, I was doing a very good job eating healthy, working out, and keeping my blood sugar in check. My A1C was the lowest it’s ever been, and I felt great! Then things started getting stressful about 9 months ago and I lost track of what I had been working so hard at. My numbers were all over the place and I was gaining weight and eating like crap. As time went on and things got even more stressful, I took a 180 degree turn. I lost my appetite and along with that, 10 pounds in a matter of weeks. As things started easing up, I got my appetite back times 50 and was eating everything in sight, waking up with blood sugars in the 300-400 range in the middle of the night. And because my numbers were so high, I wasn’t gaining any weight back. I decided to knock it off and get back into my good eating habits and exercise routine. I lost 8 more pounds and was in the best shape of my life. Enter my amazing man who is a human garbage disposal. He will eat anything and a lot of it. (And of course not gain any weight… ugh… men…) So, of course, me being the food lover that I am, thought that if he can do it, I can too. It’s like I tell myself that it’s okay to eat whatever I want because he’s not going to judge me because he’s eating it too! Well, let me tell you that this has done the opposite of what I want for my waistline and my blood sugar. I’ve gained back at least 5 pounds and my sugars have been all over the place, mainly way too high.

I know what food is good for my blood sugar. I know what’s healthy. But I just love food too much to give things up! Like ice cream is by far the worst food I have come across for my blood sugar… but it’s SO GOOD! I keep telling my family that I will start eating healthy and do a better job of controlling this beets business. I think I’ve told them that 25 times now…

But really, today is the start of a new beginning. After a weekend full of meltdowns about how hard the beets is, how I just want to be normal, how I want to be able to do what everyone else does without having to worry, etc, etc, I’m ready to step it up, suck it up, and quit being a big baby about this constant in my life that I have to take care of. I can’t do anything to change it, so I have to deal with it. And if I want to live a long and healthy life, I have to be diligent.

The good news is that the boyfriend is VERY supportive and told me that we will be healthy together and that I’m not alone in any of this. :slight_smile:

You can do it. Great attitude! New man sounds like a keeper!

Oh, how I can relate. It’s always tomorrow…I’ll do better tomorrow. Im really proud of you for putting your big girl panties on :slight_smile: and taking back the control you worked so hard to gain…today! Good luck and keep on keeping on!

Way to go!!! I know how hard it is. But you have a partner who is willing to go healthy route with you will go far to help you get back on your plan.

So you go girl!! Keep us posted.

I hate beets, and the beets, too! And I know what you’re talking about with ice cream. I’m working on square-waving it – haven’t quite found the right amount of time or insulin yet, but I had some today and didn’t go over 180. Which is better than 300!

I’m confident that with a good guy like that, you can wend your way back to good control, and a happy, productive life. AND enjoy food – you just have to be smart about it! :slight_smile:

YAY supportive boyfriend!!! Glad you have support, hope you get a job closer to home and can settle in and stay in one spot for a bit. It’s hard to move around and not have consistency with diabetes in your life. Best of luck!!! :slight_smile:

You’re in a good place right now, and it sounds like you’re with a good person. Sometimes life just messes with you for awhile (in your case, it was a very rough experience), and you can either waste your energy trying to argue, undestand, and rationalize everything that’s happened, or you can just move on. It sounds like you’re moving on, which is the right thing to do. You’ve got nothing to worry about, and you’ve got a great attitude!

I love reading stories about people fighting their way back to great health, good job!

Every time I think, “I’ll do it tomorrow,” I say to myself: “Tomorrow = never. It’s today or never.”

And I realized a short while ago that I have a choice to make: complain about diabetes or do something about it. Complaining about caused me a lot of discomfort. Doing something about it makes me feel better. And when I’m so busy being vigilant and busy, I don’t have time to mope about diabetes!

Good on you! Do keep us updated!

Kitab, I applaud you for your wonderful attitude!! I love the “don’t complain; DO something!!” thought, even though it’s hard to wait it out when you have done something – I really have to resist stacking insulin.

And my addition to the philosophy we’re building is, everything past is past, and unchangeable, but we have NOW and the future to do our best. So no moping, and more hoping!

Thank you to everyone for your kind words of encouragement! I truly appreciate it!! :slight_smile: