Non-D Camp Safety

My daughters want to attend a day camp at the local Waldorf School. I was filling out the forms and got to the medical release where it said that all medicines have to be in their original containers, doctor's orders, left in the office, etc., so I called the camp coordinator. She obviously didn't know much about D. After we talked, she agreed that both of my girls could be in the same group (I feel much better knowing that someone who can keep an eye on Clara will be there) and that Clara could carry her own supplies rather than leaving them in the office. I thought all was well and done and then we got to this: But she can't have her cell phone with her. Say what? Clara uses her phone once a day at lunch to relay her numbers and, rarely, at other times if something's off-kilter.

You may know that Waldorf Schools are anti-technology (especially for the younger kids) and anti-pop culture. This school does not allow adults to use their phones on school grounds. She wondered if Clara would be texting me "100 times a day." I assured her that Clara carries it every day at school, and it has never created a classroom problem. It's a D tool, not a method of socializing. She somewhat half-heartedly suggested that Clara might use the phone is her office while stressing how large the campus is. And I have questions about whether she'll reliably be in her office, since she's in charge of the camp and will surely have other duties.

So what do y'all think? Is this just too unsafe? I'm only continuing to pursue it because both my girls really want to go, the camp topic is unique, and the price is good.

My D daughter is 10 in 4th grade. She's very responsible and does know what she's doing. Her sister is 7 in 2nd grade.

My son went through middle school with the same rule. He did carry his cell phone, however, in case of absolute emergency. I knew other kids were texting in class surreptitiously but being the responsible kid that he was (like most D kids I know) he still went to the health office to communicate with me.

How old is your daughter, though? By middle school I was comfortable with my son not texting/communicating with me, but he also was around friends/teachers who knew of his condition. In a large school campus I might not be so comfortable.

Because they want to be there, I would say that any amount of pushing you may have to do will be worth it to the girls. My husband and I have made a pledge to Becky that we will do everything within our power to see that she doesn’t miss out on anything because of her D. That said, if it were me, I would tell the director that she needs the phone for medical purposes and if a Dr.'s note is needed, fine. If that doesn’t work…give the doomsday scenario. Does she want to be responsible if something goes wrong? Something that could have been prevented with a simple phone call?
They can be as anti-technology as they want to be but it is wrong to put that believe above the welfare of your child. Or to unfairly make it impossible for children with a disability to attend camp.

My D daughter is 10 in 4th grade. She’s very responsible and does know what she’s doing. Her sister is 7 in 2nd grade.

My girls and I have discussed this, reaching no firm conclusion yet. One thing I did tell them was that if there was an emergency, they were to whip that phone out no matter what. I think, espeically when you have “good” children, they need to specifically have permission to do what they’ve been told not to do. That way, there’s no hesitation.

that’s the way it was for us in middle school. My son and I knew that phone was always there if he needed to call me. But he hesitated to use it around other kids for fear he got called out on it (he was a transfer student initially so it was a bit hard). Even now in high school he’s good about communicating with me (I thank my lucky stars - he doesn’t seem to have some of the other issues teenagers have). I remember telling him in middle school that if a teacher/administrator ever gave him grief about his phone, that they’d have to deal with me. (As I said in another thread, we have a non-existent nurse here who doesn’t go to bat for the D-kids.

So your younger daughter is not D? Our younger son is not D either and he’s very responsible, too. In a way he’s grown up quicker because of this. He’s even gently reminded his brother a few times that he needs to test before grabbing a snack or whatnot, or reminding him to bolus.

My younger daughter is not D, and I hope she never develops it. Although she’s learned a lot and helps Clara be responsible, she herself would make a lousy patient, I think.

I am also letting my 4th grade son go to a non-D camp that he loves this summer. Last year he didn’t want to go, but now that he’s pumping he really wants to go. He won’t have a phone, which is fine with me - but I guess what would make me nervous is if it really is a big campus and even the adults don’t have phones, then what are they going to do if there truly is an emergency? That would be my issue. They might be anti-technology, but they aren’t going to make her leave her other technology that keeps her safe right? The glucose meter, (pump?) etc. What if the adult that is with her holds onto the phone - would that be a workable compromise?

ha! Yes, the same with my younger. I’ve done a few finger pricks with him over the years and he was quite the baby. We can only hope.

In order to feel comfortable with this camp I think I’d want to meet with one or more of the adult supervisors to explain D, hypoglycemia and treatment, hyperglycemia, glucagon and the like and then see what these folks come back with. If they are keen to learn more and state that they are comfortable helping manage a possible emergency situation then things could be good. I would think that if they understood the nature of D, they’d actually want your daughter to carry a phone or to carry it for her.

Ask and you shall receive!

I just got a phone call from a local fellow whose T1 daughter goes to Waldorf, and she has a T1 classmate. Both of the kids carry cell phones, and both call their parents every day. He advised that I talk to the school director, and gave me her name, and assured me that there would be no problems. Ya hoo!

And, as a bonus, the man has 2 daughters, both the same age as mine. New friends for the whole family perhaps!