Not eating if above 200?

Meal bolus should be all used up after 2 hours (approximately) and BG should (ideally) be the same after 2 hours (if your meal bolus is correct). Correction takes 4 hours (approximately), so your BG should be normal after 4 hours (if your correction is the right dose). You have to measure each.

Any help I can get with figuring this all out finanvily, medically and emotionally I’ll take. I have been googling vut anoyher set of eyes would be great!I live in Michigan and currently have blue cross blue shield through my husband’s work.

1 Like

I have had no issues with BC/BS in regards to the Tandem pump (nor the Dexcom CGM) and all related supplies.

Often times it comes down to what your deductible is, what your co-pay/co-ins is after that and finally what your max out of pocket is. The start / end of your plan year (typically Jan 1st) can also be relevant.

Your somewhat near me, geographically. I’m in your state frequently, although just along the lake shore. I’ll ask around.

It’s somewhat harder to investigate ones own financial difficulties - more stressful for some reason, LOL. Sometimes I have my friend call the insurance co and pretend to be me, so I don’t freak out on them. Then, I make calls about mortgage questions for my friend. For some reason, that’s easier.

I also use Humalog in my pump. I’ve almost met my deductible and my Doc increased my prescribed insulin because the insurance co kept making me pay out of pocket. Now, I’m way above what I need. I can always send you a bottle, email me if you run out. Won’t cost me anything. Minnesota and Michigan always back each other in bar room brawls, lol. I owe Michigan one.

1 Like

The real problem with calculating insulin doses, food intake, and their rate of comparative metabolism is that the ratios keep changing with the decline of the health of the nerves of digestion in the diabetic over time. Your absorption of food will slow as you age. Even your metabolism of insulin will slow as your renal function declines.

Ok so I do a couple of things (also, ive had Diabeetus for 17 years too!)
First, I try to do my count often enough where I can catch a high count before I get starving. You have to be a real routine kind of person for this to work. If you are, pick a set time to eat around, and do your count an hour before. If it’s high, you have at least an hour to bring it down. The trick is to do it again right before you eat so you know what it’s at. You can train your body to get used to eating at one specific time, and eventually, you won’t feel hungry until that time.

So, that option isn’t always feasible. For me, it isn’t unless I have an extended period of time where I have no work and nothing going on. (so never.) What I do when I have those times that I’m doing my sugar right before I want to eat and it’s a crappy number, I eat the low-carb portion of the meal, or have some kind of appetizer to hold me over before I eat the heavy portion of my meal. My go to is veggies. Grab some carrots and dip, make a salad, you know, that kind of thing. If that won’t hold you over and your count isn’t too bad, my go to is popcorn. (I loooooove popcorn.) Hopefully this helps!

1 Like

I don’t agree that a mealtime bolus only lasts two hours. For me, it’s almost twice that.

I think the only thing I learn from taking my BG two hours after a meal is that I’m a diabetic.

1 Like

I tend to go a little long on that measurement, as well. Might max out at 2.5 hrs. Correction bolus also tends to run a little longer than 4 hours.

According to the CGM we see the bolus stop about 4-1/2 hours after the dose.

I’m still experimenting with prebolus, and I’m not very rigid about it. I sometimes forget, and I’m so hungry that I just eat after bolusing anyway.
But someone (maybe you?) mentioned waiting longer if starting out with a higher bg. Someone else said they watch for the downturn on the cgm graph, another said they wait until bg is under 100 before eating. So I’ve been thinking of all that as I go, but again, nothing solid in place yet.

My insulin life seems to be at least 3 hours!

Pretty sure mine is 3 1/2 hours. Of course, my PUMP only allows me to set it 3 hours or 4 hours, so 3 it is.