Nothing works, really welcome advice on our insulin regimen

Kj,
thanks for advice. With Raisnette, we never seemed to get any predictability even though her diet would have been very controlled. While not vegan, we cooked everything from scratch and stuck to the staples - potatos mostly, lots of veg and modest proteins. However, just a few days ago we went ‘live’ on an insulin pump and even though it’s very early days, she has been unbelievably steady. Last night she kept almost entirely level and within range - we’ve never seen that. Perhaps now with the pump we can better isolate what food does what - before there was obviously just too much throwing her numbers out.
I’d love to know just what was not working with the MDI but I’m so happy to be using the pump now - and so is she!
J

J

Such good news!

Greg also was steady as soon as we went on the pump and felt much better on the insulin every three minutes. We had to do some basal testing where he fasted for a morning period or an afternoon period or from 8pm through the night (not all in one day - being a teenager ,he would starve). During the tests, we did testing every hour or 2 hours to see how the basal was doing. He would stay within 5 points of 100 for hours at a time (just perfect!).

We now kid him that if his numbers are off, it is his fast food - it cannot be his basal. Although in reality, we sometimes have to make adjustments to the basal as he grows and changes sports.

I’d just like to let the community know that Raisenette went ‘live’ on her insulin pump the other day and right away we have sooo much better control. Last night, she was on 6 nearly the whole way through the night. After a year with D and MDI, this is the first ‘vacation’ we’ve got! Thanks to all for your support. J

excellent news!!!

Yes, if you dont mind I would like to add my thoughts for what it may be worth. I live in PA in the USA. When my daughter was first diagnosed with type I 4 years ago she was first put on Novolog/Lantis (Basal Bolus). We also had to take diabetes education classes before she came home from the hospital and again when we switched her to the pump. Is there any such thing in Ireland? I found these to be so helpful in uderstading how diabetes works and how insulin works.

One major thing I learned about the Lantis - it is only about 80% effective in the body during absorption, whereas Novolog is about 99% effective. This explains why you get sporadic readings a lot of times when you are on shots.
Another thing you must keep in mind ( I have a daughter also) hormones play a very big role in you daughter’s insulin needs regardless of wether or not you are on a pump. It is very tricky with my daughter. Everytime she goes through a spurt her sugars run high, thus the need to increase the insulin is a must. When she will start her womanly cycle, I was told is another challenge.
Keep pushing for the pump. (I wish you could visit here - in our city Allentown we have the Helwig Diabetes Center which has been such a blessing! Also our doctor here PUSH for the pump! I cannot imagine how hard it must be in your situation).
I wish you all the best!

MarysMom,
thanks for the reply. And you probably didn’t catch my previous addendum but we finally got R on the pump - Medtronic Veo. It has been an epic battle (and I mean battle) - we were fought every inch of the way. Finally, they admitted R to hospital for 4 days to try to regulate her levels but gave up and sent us home with the pump. We had 3 hrs of training and 2 sheets of paper with little or no followup but thankfully after 3 weeks we’re hopeful that we have reasonable basal rates, carb factor ratios etc. - she has averaged 7.8 for the last 2 weeks with far less hypos and going down.
You’re right about puberty and we’ve noticed changes with her which seem to have a big effect, especially since we came from hospital. We managed to get here a CGM also (Enlite) which has been very useful with the low glucose suspend at night - it helped her many times as she is so eratic. Hopefully, things are looking up though it’ll be a while yet before we sleep easy,

J

I am so happy fo R! what a relief for you. I do not know if you can get the Medtronic webside in Ireland, but my medtronic website has a profile page where you set up your info. You can then take classes on line! It is very wonderful.
I will truly be praying for you all. My heart goes out to you all.
God Bless you,