Novolog and Weight Gain

I was diagnosed with T2 in August of 2007 and after a few different oral meds I was put on Novolog 70/30. I was told that I would begin to feel much better. I quickly noticed I was gaining weight, but just attributed it to me slacking off in my exercise. At the time I was walking three miles about three-four times a week. After about a year, thirty pounds and many attempts to lose, I returned to the doctor in reference to my weight gain. I was told that I was just going to gain weight. I inquired about it possibly being from the type of insulin and was told it was not.

After two years and a continual weight gain, I went to see an endo. He switched me to Levemir and Novolog. My bs were better controlled but my weight has continued to climb. I am now sixty pounds heavier and beginning to feel the strains of it. I have tried everything, Nutrisystem, low cal and nothing seems to work. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I am having a hard time getting my doctor to listen to me.

I also have a long medical history. I had a liver transplant in 1998 due to autoimmune hepatitis; hence, I take a lot of meds including Prednisone which I have been on for 18 years. I went through a lot of rejection where I was treated with large doses of steroids. This caused me to develop diabetes, which was so severe at times I was treated with an insulin drip. I remained on humulin R and nph for about six months and was then able to wean off. I did not have any issues with my weight.

How many calories, on average, do you consume each day? It’s simple thermodynamics, really - more calories consumed than used = weight gain. You should get your basal metabolic rate measured and your daily calorie intake assessed. Then, you can start eating just enough calories to start losing weight a little every day and cumulatively you should see a weight loss trend soon. Once you reach your desired weight level, balance your calorie intake to your basal metabolic rate and you’ll be able to stay at your target weight.

Excess insulin = excess weight. It really has nothing to do with the type of insulin. If you are on steroids which is contributing to your insulin usage, that is likely a bigger part of it… it’s not the insulin alone, but the combined effect of both.

I don’t know much about transplants and the meds required for that, but is it possible that there’s something other than the prednisone and insulin that could also be contributing to weight gain?

Hi Rachel,
I know with the transplant you must have a doctor who you see for that at yearly/six month intervals and then you must have this endo who may or may not be associated with the transplant physician.
Can they reduce the Prednisone?
Have they done that & you still get into trouble with weight gain? Ask the transplant doctor/team what can be done. Weight gain is so usual they must have figured out something by now.
I know someone who eats only a salad at lunch and virtually no other meals - she’s so determined she is not going to buy new clothes again!
So I’m with you - I’ve seen others with the problem.
Nail the doctors on a combination of insulin that will keep you with the lowest gain possible. But you’ll have to be persistent. Tell them you’ll have high blood pressure if this keeps up! You’ll be SO stressed!
Keep a daily record of your insulin intake and tests, along with fat and carb grams - to show them you’re not going into lows and you’re only keeping yourself in the normal glucose range and that you’re barely eating.
Most of all, know we all commiserate with you on this.