Of COURSE my pump just broke

that’s because I just mentioned the other day how reliable my 530 pump has been. Sigh. I went to clean it this morning and while doing so, I noticed that half of the lip that retains the o-ring for the reservoir chamber was missing. The o-ring has nothing to hold it in. I can still install a reservoir, but dust and grit will be able to enter the chamber, which isn’t going to be good for the drive mechanism. Sigh., My endo retired after our last visit and am still trying to get hooked up with a new endo. I’ve put in calls to the Tandem rep early this morning and next up is seeing if ANYONE in my retired-endo’s office can do an Rx for a Tandem pump. If it’s not one thing, it’s another.

oh, and I’ve placed 3 small pieces of duct tape over the reservoir to help keep out dirt and to reduce the possibility of the reservoir coming loose. Duct tape fixes everything! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am a firm believer in duct tape… and baling twine. Anything is fixable with those two.

4 Likes

Our Animas Ping was duct taped.

Sorry to hear about the pump failure. Hopefully it doesn’t add too much stress to everything else. If you can make it limp along until a replacement that would be excellent.

2 Likes

Since I use an old Medtronic pump for Loop, I’ve seen much discussion of ways to fix cracks with a mouldable glue called Sugru. I’ve not used it myself but have read many positive comments regarding fixing old pumps.

You may join and search the Facebook group, Looped, to see these comments.

I have no relationship with the company that makes this product but would seriously consider using it if the opportunity presents itself.

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Here’s a video showing how it works.

1 Like

thank, Tim. I’ve been on the phone for about the last 2-1/2 hours dealing with this pump thing. the ball is in Tandem’s court to process my request. I already filled out the required form via a signable PDF online and gave them the name of the doctor who is in the same group as the one that just retired. That doc should sign off on the Rx for a pump. I now have an appt with that doc in January, moved up from April. I likely will be hooked up with an endo from another med group this August, though. Office staff suggested I make that appt in 2020 just to stay “on the books” so that I can hopefully get Rx’s for something like this while I get situated with another endo sooner (than the way-in-the-future Jan appt with an endo in my retired doc’s office)

1 Like

So I assume your 530 is out of warranty ? If not, medtronics should send replacement within day or 2.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I know when I first moved here the first visit with the visiting endo’s appointment was 6 or 7 months away unless I wanted to fly to Oahu. I did not and my internist was insistent she knew nothing about pumps and I needed to see the endo. So she got on the phone to the endos office and insisted that I be seen the next time the endo was on my island, she got me the appointment in 5 days, the very next visit she was here. I was very impressed needless to say! But she is a go getter, she’s young and not warped yet!

So I’m not sure how helpful your doc is, but I am wondering if you say it’s an emergency and you are having surgery can the doctor call and push to get you in right away?

Yes, tandem immediately shipped me a new pump whenever I had a problem, once on a weekend by courier.

out of warranty since last December.

1 Like

the duct tape around the reservoir is holding well (for at least one day, anyway).

2 Likes

I had the same thing on my 522. Mine was in the last few months of the warranty and they sent me a replacement pump.

This type of breakage was a first for me since I began pumping in '96. I’ve had several pumps crack at the reservoir window–a common problem given that my wife also has had 2 or 3 with cracks at the same area, over the years.

You could rent a pump from Medtronics short term. I have done that when I went out of the country.

the duct tape is holding and I’ve submitted a request to Tandem for a pump. just waiting to hear back that the doc covering for my recently- retired endo is signing the Rx and that Medicare is allowing the purchase. If I don’t hear anything by Monday, I’ll give Tandem a call. I know the whole process won’t happen overnight.

1 Like

Vital to report adverse events like this to the TGA , I lost my Daughter to faulty Flexpens from Novo Nordisk that they were phasing out, here is the link if you are in Oz: https://www.tga.gov.au/reporting-adverse-events

1 Like